Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Shaping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Shaping

Old 03-04-2006, 22:24   #166
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Traffic Shaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground
NTL must have known this would happen. If there is only around 33Mbps on a UBR then 3 and a bit people maxing out their 10Mbps is going to kill it. Surely they knew that?
It was a marketing decision, not a technical one.
Old 03-04-2006, 23:44   #167
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna
this is taking the Pi** now, earlier i was downloading some music from itunes fine at about 8mbps now just ran a speed test and got this

Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:39:28 GMT

1st 512K took 5531 ms = 92.6 KB/sec, approx 763 Kbps, 0.75 Mbps
2nd 512K took 7703 ms = 66.5 KB/sec, approx 548 Kbps, 0.54 Mbps
3rd 512K took 6687 ms = 76.6 KB/sec, approx 631 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps
4th 512K took 7547 ms = 67.8 KB/sec, approx 559 Kbps, 0.55 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 625 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

this is on a 10mb line
so they deff are shaping now
If they were shaping your results would look BETTER (then that) not worse.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43   #168
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Still, they should have known it would happen. They are just trying to be better than everyone else for speed.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25   #169
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

they should have gradually increased the 3meg tier - e.g. upped it to 4meg and then waited a few months to increase it to 5meg etc.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:28   #170
swapshop1
Inactive

swapshop1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for shaping. If your a heavy downloader then you will likely already leave your machine on all day..... So wheres the harm? I would be grateful to Ntl's efforts in maintaining a speedy responsive network.

I currently limit my download speed from 7 am to 12 midnight
swapshop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07   #171
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapshop1
I'm all for shaping. If your a heavy downloader then you will likely already leave your machine on all day..... So wheres the harm? I would be grateful to Ntl's efforts in maintaining a speedy responsive network.

I currently limit my download speed from 7 am to 12 midnight
So should a user be allowed to pay less for the period per day that NTL intensionaly drops the speed down ?.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:14   #172
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

I still think the whole shared community thing sucks. What somebody else does with their connection has got nothing to do with me and should not affect my service. So maybe its unfortunate it cannot be that everybody has enough bandwidth to max their connections but soon / one day it will I'm sure.

...even though I don't suffer from such problems
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01   #173
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

it will affect your service though if a number of users on the same UBR as you are maxing their connections out all the time. I'm in favour of traffic prioritisation - eg. voip first, web pages second, p2p 3rd. provided it isn't used as a way of cramming as many users as possible onto the network with the min of investment in upgrades.

ie. it's obvious my VOIP phone call shouldnt go tits up just cos there's a temporary surge of use on the network - that should be managed by traffic prioritisation BUT... the prioritisation should be for surges of use not for managing usage.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 14:40   #174
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as i am concerned if you pay for a service thats what you should receive, not a diluted excuse for a service. Could you imagine if you paid for a bus pass & did a regular journey of say 10 miles each day, but then got told you would have to walk the last 2 miles because the bus was packed
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 14:42   #175
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
As far as i am concerned if you pay for a service thats what you should receive, not a diluted excuse for a service. Could you imagine if you paid for a bus pass & did a regular journey of say 10 miles each day, but then got told you would have to walk the last 2 miles because the bus was packed
On the bus your pass doesn't guarantee you a seat though does it? Especially at peak times when it takes a lot longer to get where it is going.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 14:45   #176
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
As far as i am concerned if you pay for a service that's what you should receive, not a diluted excuse for a service. Could you imagine if you paid for a bus pass & did a regular journey of say 10 miles each day, but then got told you would have to walk the last 2 miles because the bus was packed
On the bus your pass doesn't guarantee you a seat though does it? Especially at peak times when it takes a lot longer to get where it is going.
But when does a lot longer due to shaping where they purposely slow your traffic become a rip off to save spending on upgrades ?
Old 04-04-2006, 14:46   #177
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i know that but i said walk the last 2 miles besides that, that is natural congestion not artificial. traffic shaping is more like the driver going down the road with his foot on the brakes
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 14:48   #178
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
But when does a lot longer due to shaping where they purposely slow your traffic become a rip off to save spending on upgrades ?
I suppose. There isn't much point in upgrading roads to 5-6 lane monsters purely to cope with the rush hours though is there

Nah I can see good and bad points of shaping. Right now I'm fairly lucky and have decent speeds so don't really see any bad points from congestion etc. but if this changes I'd be wanting Ntl/Telewest/Virgin to get the chequebook out and start upgrades.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 14:50   #179
Bill C

[quote=dezzo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
but if this changes I'd be wanting Ntl/Telewest/Virgin to get the chequebook out and start upgrades.
dont we all
Old 04-04-2006, 15:18   #180
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground
NTL must have known this would happen. If there is only around 33Mbps on a UBR then 3 and a bit people maxing out their 10Mbps is going to kill it. Surely they knew that?
Gotta love those marketing guys - making a decision (that looks like it was made) without technical input and then wondering why they have bad publicity
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote