Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 28-05-2018, 17:47   #406
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

It's true you can watch HLG on an SDR TV. This fact clearly helps the beeb out, no need for extra channels the same channel will cater for those with SDR and HDR TVs in one go. Your TV will just switch to HLG(HDR) mode if it's compatible.

Don't quote me on the above, as far as I understand that's how it will all work.

Last edited by mot12; 28-05-2018 at 17:52.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2018, 18:17   #407
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not blown away with UHD tennis on Eurosport 4K.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 18:20   #408
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

The tv needs a different spec for HDR HLG too, as Samsung have said their 2016 range can’t be updated to HLG.

I don’t think we are getting a 4K feed from the tennis tbh.

Last edited by DVD Cinema; 28-05-2018 at 19:01.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 18:43   #409
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm not blown away with UHD tennis on Eurosport 4K.
Agreed. The footy on BT was better. On the tennis for a start the colours seem a tad too overblown. Maybe so far BT are just better at delivering 4K.

I hope the beeb hurries up with some 4K sport and more, whatever anyone may think of the beeb technically they are usually spot on.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 18:56   #410
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Agreed. The footy on BT was better. On the tennis for a start the colours seem a tad too overblown. Maybe so far BT are just better at delivering 4K.

I hope the beeb hurries up with some 4K sport and more, whatever anyone may think of the beeb technically they are usually spot on.
I've not seen BT just several sports on Sky Sports UHD and they've been great but so far this Eurosport 4K feed on my Sky Q box certainly isn't blowing me away.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 18:58   #411
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

There are two BBC UHD HLG demos currently available. One is a Planet Earth 2 loop, the other is a short FA Cup loop.

I think the quality of the cameras are better for the 4K footy.
Old 28-05-2018, 22:33   #412
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
There are two BBC UHD HLG demos currently available. One is a Planet Earth 2 loop, the other is a short FA Cup loop.

I think the quality of the cameras are better for the 4K footy.
I can only seem to find the Planet Earth 2 video. When I first saw It, it blew my mind. I couldn't believe how brilliant the picture quality was. Absolutely amazing!

Is the football one in the same place?
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 01:21   #413
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
I can only seem to find the Planet Earth 2 video. When I first saw It, it blew my mind. I couldn't believe how brilliant the picture quality was. Absolutely amazing!

Is the football one in the same place?
You have to be in the Beta version to view the FA Cup loop.
Old 29-05-2018, 09:41   #414
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
You have to be in the Beta version to view the FA Cup loop.
Ah ok - I'll check after work tonight. Thanks for the info, mate
Old 29-05-2018, 10:19   #415
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just an LG OLED C7 4K TV to connect to my V6 box and I was wondering what settings I should use for the Video section in the V6 box.Should i just tick the 2160 and 2160 pass through boxes, or should I tick the 1080i & 1080P ones as well
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:26   #416
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWB View Post
I've just an LG OLED C7 4K TV to connect to my V6 box and I was wondering what settings I should use for the Video section in the V6 box.Should i just tick the 2160 and 2160 pass through boxes, or should I tick the 1080i & 1080P ones as well
Hi John,

On mine, I selected all video formats. I assumed that the V6 would then output at the highest resolution, but from the discussion over the Champions League Final in UHD, I'm not so sure.

I'm going to try and put mine on just 2160 and 2160 pass-through to see if that changes anything.

When I just had these selected, the Youtube app didn't work, this may have been fixed now. I haven't tried it since.
Old 29-05-2018, 12:57   #417
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Probably 2160 + 2160-passthrough. But you could try various things and see which looks best to you.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 13:27   #418
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Ignoring the passthru options here as I refering to tv output...

If you select anything other than 2160p then the 4k channels are not sent to TiVo in 2160p - even if 2160p is also selected.

But if you leave 2160p only - then the non-2160p output looks poor when comparing it to pictures where the tv does the upscaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Probably 2160 + 2160-passthrough. But you could try various things and see which looks best to you.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 20:54   #419
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Ignoring the passthru options here as I refering to tv output...

If you select anything other than 2160p then the 4k channels are not sent to TiVo in 2160p - even if 2160p is also selected.

But if you leave 2160p only - then the non-2160p output looks poor when comparing it to pictures where the tv does the upscaling.
If you took those shades off Ozsat you wouldn't have to worry about the amount of pixels, isn't it time for walkies ?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 21:30   #420
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If you took those shades off Ozsat you wouldn't have to worry about the amount of pixels, isn't it time for walkies ?
They are not mutually exclusive activities...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote