Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 22-02-2022, 00:44   #5611
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It's when things just get too silly for me and are just beyond belief and it ruins the film. Just three things off the top of my head in Moonfall:
Snip
I accept the film for what it is, entertainment and a science fiction disaster film. I don't expect realism or perfection. I watch it for escapism and things blowing up and going wrong. If you are expecting things to behave as they do in the real world, then of course you will be disappointed. I mean the moon is a flipping spaceship thing for a start!

Day after Tomorrow was also by the same director. He also wrote them along with writing and directing 2012, 10,000BC, Independence Day, Snargate. So I know really what to expect.

He has also been labeled as the Master of Disaster. Which I'd agree with.

Also in regards to you mentioning the finale of Book of Boba Fett it was utterly fantastic.
Old 22-02-2022, 00:47   #5612
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
instead of trying to pull apart everything you watch.
That's the thing, i dont. But things have to have a certsin ring of truth or realism around them to enjoy them as a serious action/disaster movie or they risk being OTT and laughable as in this case and becoming more action comedy. There were people in the row in front of me in the cinema laughing at it pretty much the whole way through the film every time something stupid happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Day after Tomorrow was also by the same director.
I know, that's why I mentioned it. I also loved the other films you listed

Quote:
the finale of Book of Boba Fett it was utterly fantastic.
I ain't sayin nuffin. This is one of the rare occasions where my lips are sealed. It was so bad I can't even be bothered to moan about it.

Last edited by General Maximus; 22-02-2022 at 00:50.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 00:50   #5613
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

On the subject of Uncharted movie goers seem to be enjoying it as over on Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a critics rating of just 40% approval, but it’s a certified hit among audiences: 90% of viewers recommend it. It’s a largely similar story on Google, where it currently commands a score of 4.2/5 – and on IMDB, it’s achieved a less stellar but still respectable 6.7/10 user score at the time I checked it.
Old 22-02-2022, 01:04   #5614
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
In contrast, The Day After Tomorrow is a fantastic example of a quality disaster film which tries to put realism and science into the story/script which makes for a more immersive experience.
Hmmm, really ?
Quote:
It received mixed reviews upon release, with critics highly praising the film's special effects but criticizing its writing and numerous scientific inaccuracies.
Quote:
The Core is another good one as well.
Realism ? Seriously ?
Quote:
The film focuses on a team whose mission is to drill to the center of the Earth and set off a series of nuclear explosions in order to restart the rotation of the Earth's core.
Its not even remotely realistic.

For the record, I enjoyed both, they are very entertaining, but neither is accurate or realistic.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 02:47   #5615
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

He needs a YouTube channel where he says how shit every film is because it isn't realistic enough. Reality TV must be a must watch.

I don't actually mind a younger Drake anyways, I've played the games and you do get to see him as a teenager. No problem seeing him younger than 30.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 18:19   #5616
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Death on the Nile: 7/10

A good murder mystery with beautiful vistas and plenty of locations and scenic shots to compliment the setting of the film. Time is taken to establish the characters and certain story arcs at the beginning of the film in order to indulge in the thicker plot later on. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next instalment in the franchise. As always, seeing Gal Gadot was the icing on the cake.
Old 22-02-2022, 19:10   #5617
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Death on the Nile: 7/10

A good murder mystery with beautiful vistas and plenty of locations and scenic shots to compliment the setting of the film. Time is taken to establish the characters and certain story arcs at the beginning of the film in order to indulge in the thicker plot later on. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next instalment in the franchise. As always, seeing Gal Gadot was the icing on the cake.
Are they intending to make more Poirot?

I'm a big fan of the 1978 adaptation starring Peter Ustinov. I'm curious to see how they got on with this one but it will be difficult for me to watch it impartially.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 19:50   #5618
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Are they intending to make more Poirot?
I dont know but as with Reacher the character and style of story telling make the possibilities endless. I have never read the books so am not au fait with the stories but who is to say the next one cant be in China. I loved what they did with this one in Egypt.
Old 22-02-2022, 21:17   #5619
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I dont know but as with Reacher the character and style of story telling make the possibilities endless. I have never read the books so am not au fait with the stories but who is to say the next one cant be in China. I loved what they did with this one in Egypt.
There’s an absolute ton of material for adaptation available - every one of the 70 TV episodes starring David Suchet is based on either a full novel or a short story featuring Poirot and written by Agatha Christie. As far as I know, nobody has ever made a completely original screen production based on the character, though if they have the rights, they could do so. They might upset the purists however, and films of this type do rely on a fan base for a certain guaranteed level of success.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 09:59   #5620
General Maximus
Ran Away

Just had a quick look. It has only been out 1 week and has already grossed $76m for a production budget of $90. Hopefully it bodes well for a third instalment.
Old 23-02-2022, 11:08   #5621
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

And Uncharted grossed over $100m over its long weekend at the Global Box Office, looking forward to watching this.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:51   #5622
General Maximus
Ran Away

The Batman (2022): 7/10

A pleasant surprise, I was expecting this to be a another mediocre turnout of the DC movie machine but it had me gripped throughout. Even though it is the same familiar characters which we have seen time and again this is less like the superhero and comic books iterations which we have seen before and a more grounded grittier version. The visual effect were top notch, the fight scenes very well choreographed and the soundtrack was simple but very powerful and effective. Some people moan about 3 hour films but you didn't feel it in this because it was so good. The film was as long as it needed to be to tell the story it wanted to, it was well paced and never felt like it was dragged out.

I don't know how this sits in the DCEU but I would happily see more. Another pleasant surprise, I defo prefer Robert Pattinson as Batman than Batfleck.

It goes without saying that it is one of those films that needs to be seen on the big screen for the sheer scope of the film and more noticeably on this occasion the sound.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:20   #5623
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
The Batman (2022): 7/10

A pleasant surprise, I was expecting this to be a another mediocre turnout of the DC movie machine but it had me gripped throughout. Even though it is the same familiar characters which we have seen time and again this is less like the superhero and comic books iterations which we have seen before and a more grounded grittier version. The visual effect were top notch, the fight scenes very well choreographed and the soundtrack was simple but very powerful and effective. Some people moan about 3 hour films but you didn't feel it in this because it was so good. The film was as long as it needed to be to tell the story it wanted to, it was well paced and never felt like it was dragged out.

I don't know how this sits in the DCEU but I would happily see more. Another pleasant surprise, I defo prefer Robert Pattinson as Batman than Batfleck.

It goes without saying that it is one of those films that needs to be seen on the big screen for the sheer scope of the film and more noticeably on this occasion the sound.
Have you read many of the Batman or Detecive comics? Batman is more dark and gritty than anything else.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:31   #5624
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I had a big, single volume set of Batman stories as a child but got lost lent to a neighbour. Darkish but nothing like today's stories and much brighter when Robin was introduced. Fun ones with Batman/Batwoman married with children and retired. Robin and Batgirl are new Batman/Batwoman and the kids the new Robin/Batgirl.
I think the new stories just from news and the films are too dark. Prefer the silly 60's TV/films.
Old 04-03-2022, 13:15   #5625
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Have you read many of the Batman or Detecive comics?
The only comics I have ever read are the Asterix comics. What I meant is

Spoiler: 
unlike the previous versions we have seen where he has a lot of technology, gadgets, batmobile, bat bike, bat plane etc he doesn't have any of this in this film. It doesn't spend any time at Wayne Enterprises or focus on technological development. This is more of a grounded psychological story about Bruce Wayne and less of what I would class as traditional Batman. Yes Alfred is in it but as a bare minimum. There isn't the usual billionaire socialite misdeeds and Alfred playing the father figure and mentoring.

I think you will be surprised at how different this film is compared to all the other version we have seen. It is analogous to how Daniel Craig's James Bonds compared to the other instalments in the franchise. As an example, I loved the action in the Dark Knight trilogy and it was a step up from what we have seen in the past but when you watch this it feels like it is real and he is actually punching the shit out of everyone. It may be to do with Robert Pattinson's acting or the sound editing or both but you definitely feel it and there were a couple of times I screwed my face and went "oof" because you could feel the pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Prefer the silly 60's TV/films.
Shark repellent bat spray

Last edited by General Maximus; 04-03-2022 at 13:18.