Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

Old 31-05-2018, 09:49   #31
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

ok, thanks, I knew I had played with a menu to output but couldn't remember if that was the old V+ box, or my current tivo box

on TVs with freeview, with 2 scarts, at least one is bidirectional, I can record to my panasonic DVD-R/HD recorder freeview programmes from my tv via scart (the recorder is pre freeview) but that could be a special case that they just output the tuner, rather than what is being watched.

if/when I get it working i'll post what I did, 'cos someone else is bound to need to do it
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2018, 09:58   #32
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Now that you mention bidirectional scart when there's two I think my old TV must have done it based on some of the language used in manual/user interface. I never needed to use it because our area got Freeview signal pretty late on, hence getting Starter pack cable tv package in the first place.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:02   #33
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblood View Post
I phoned to downgrade my package today. Spoke to retentions, i wanted to have the TiVo discontinued as was only keeping it to watch old recordings. Was told I had to have the V+ removed as the system wouldn't let it through. Also insisted the V+ would be discontinued in 2 months anyway?. I have not received any information on this. Would I be offered a V6 when the V+ is removed as i have a TiVo?
V+ is not being discontinued yet. It is the V-boxes that are going in the next two months.

When V+ is eventually discontinued, I would expect V6 to be offered as a replacement provided you can have one (i.e. you have VM broadband and your TV supports HDMI). If not, you'll get a TiVo.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:49   #34
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The V box was a cool box, faster than the V+ or original Tivo. It didn't record but had catch up, quite and unobtrusive for a bedroom with no hard drive whirring away or lights flashing. There is a market for boxes like this. Mine was swapped for a V6, but i've had to tuck that away in a cupboard so i can sleep peacefully ! RIP
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:04   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The V box was a cool box, faster than the V+ or original Tivo.
You obviously never experienced some of the original ntl and Telewest SD only boxes then!
Old 31-05-2018, 11:10   #36
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Now that was going back through the wormhole and beyond as l do remember those heady days..
Old 31-05-2018, 11:14   #37
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You obviously never experienced some of the original ntl and Telewest SD only boxes then!
oh yes, my original Jerrold analogue cable box you could fry an egg on ! I was thinking of the VHD - is this the one they are getting rid of ?
Old 31-05-2018, 11:18   #38
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We had one of these then:

40 channels. Those were the days when our all-band multistandard TV could direct tune quite a number of the channels.

jerrold_impulse.jpg
Old 31-05-2018, 11:18   #39
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We had one of these then:

40 channels. Those were the days when our all-band multistandard TV could direct tune quite a number of the channels.

Attachment 27414
Oh yes that's the the baby, never was able to return it after the egg frying
Old 31-05-2018, 11:22   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
is this the one they are getting rid of ?
Not currently, it's the older boxes than that. These ones and some others
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1000.jpg (107.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg pace4000series-.jpg (36.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by BenMcr; 31-05-2018 at 11:26.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:24   #41
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Well if customers are still paying for those they've been ripped off royally by VM.
Old 31-05-2018, 11:27   #42
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l will trump you all as don't you remember the box on the wall which was the start of cable..

RediffusionBox.jpg
Old 31-05-2018, 11:28   #43
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l will trump you all as don't you remember the box on the wall which was the start of cable..

Attachment 27418
that looks circa 1973 Den - Antiques Roadshow maybe valuable ?
Old 31-05-2018, 11:29   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Well if customers are still paying for those they've been ripped off royally by VM.
Virgin have continually promoted TiVo ever since it was launched and more recently the V6.

That's been through a combination of proactive upgrade offers, required upgrades when new offers are agreed etc.

Most of those that still have the SD only boxes either have them as additional boxes, or have no real desire or need to change their box as it 'just works' for them. So even if / when Virgin Media have sent them options to upgrade to new services, they haven't taken the offers available.

Which is why Virgin Media is now having to do the forced changeover.
Old 31-05-2018, 11:30   #45
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
that looks circa 1973 Den - Antiques Roadshow maybe valuable ?
l think l remember having this box around the very early eighties.