Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone like analogue photos?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Electric vehicle on fire again

Old 11-01-2024, 19:06   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Electric vehicle on fire again

Wimbledon bus catches fire. BBC news ,sorry can't lift report ,see their Web site
Old 11-01-2024, 19:11   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Electric vehicle on fire again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Wimbledon bus catches fire. BBC news ,sorry can't lift report ,see their Web site
https://news.sky.com/story/electric-...ondon-13045929

Wimbledon: Electric double-decker bus catches fire during rush hour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67944657
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 19:48   #3
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I have had people say i should not drive my EV in the rain in case i get electrocuted. There was even a story in that comic called the Mail that said EV cannot go through a car wash in case they explode. I have had my EV for over a year now, i have driven a lot of miles in it to attend meetings around the country and not once has it exploded, run out of battery, or electrocuted me.

A few facts https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/e...ctric-vehicles

"Meanwhile, according to Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, some 1898 fires in 2019 were from petrol and diesel vehicles, 54 from EVs. Another study by the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency also revealed that petrol and diesel cars caught fire 19 times more often than EVs.12 Nov 2023"

We have both a diesel BMW 520 estate and my Ionic 38Kwh EV. The EV is cheaper for me when attending meetings.

Vehicles go on fire all the time but at the moment the anti EV press jump on anything EV related as it will fire up the haters and also get them clicks on there websites.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 19:52   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Without full statistics the numbers are meaningless. 54 EV fires in Bedfordshire out of how many on the road. If it is 100 then the stat is bad if it is 10 000 000 then the stat is good. Same with the petrol and Diesel
Old 11-01-2024, 19:58   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Without full statistics the numbers are meaningless. 54 EV fires in Bedfordshire out of how many on the road. If it is 100 then the stat is bad if it is 10 000 000 then the stat is good. Same with the petrol and Diesel
I agree, what i have seen with my own eyes is how many EV's are appearing out on the road, you can tell an EV from the green flash on the left of the number plate. to quote Zapmap
Quote:
How many electric cars are there in the UK?

As of the end of December 2023, there are around 975,000 fully electric cars on UK roads. The chart below shows growth of electric car registrations from 2019 to the present day.

Nearly 315,000 battery-electric cars were registered in 2023, a growth of 18% on the number registered in 2022.
https://www.zap-map.com/ev-stats/ev-market

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 20:53   #6
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Neither of our EV’s have a green flash on the number plate

Love our EV’s because they fit our lifestyle but understand they’re not for everyone. I do find it incredulous that the media jump on the bandwagon ie the fire at the airport carpark which was later confirmed to have started in a diesel vehicle.

Changing my existing taycan for the new one when it’s released next year and probably going to change the Q4 for a Q8
Old 14-01-2024, 01:46   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Petrol and diesel cars are over 20 times more likely to catch fire than an EV.

They also don't just catch fire from water exposure. The battery has to has sus5ained serious damaged for it to end up overheating and catching fire. They really aren't dangerous. Unlike a combustion engine with a large tank of highly flammable liquid.

I'm seriously fed up with the ill-informed people who read some BS online and choose to believe it.
Old 14-01-2024, 03:32   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Petrol and diesel cars are over 20 times more likely to catch fire than an EV.
Thats the most quoted number (because people read it on the internet )
Estimates vary - although none say they are more likely - nor for that matter does this topic ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm seriously fed up with the ill-informed people who read some BS online and choose to believe it.
Well that applies to an awful lot of people, and an awful lot of topics.
However, not really something to get "seriously fed up about", chill out a bit more.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 11:11   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I would say lithium Ion batteries are a lot more volatile than petrol.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote