Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 07-06-2018, 19:13   #8161
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is true that this is one of the minor packages, but as I said, this is a precursor of what is to come.

What I do find reassuring is that Amazon is not making an extra charge for this, which lends support to my view that customers will benefit from Amazon's entry into the fold.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

I'm afraid to say that you have absolutely no basis for saying that, Den. Events are starting to prove you wrong earlier than I thought.
Did Amazon bid originally?

Will Amazon be prepared to spend enough to capture 1 or more of the main 5 packages?

Will Amazon increase the cost of Amazon Prime? - others have suggested this is a possibility

Not sure how having to pay extra for an Amazon prime sub benefits anyone (unless you already have one)

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

BBC website has revised the details of Amazon's package.

Now saying it is the 1st round of midweek games in December and the Boxing Day round.

This means anyone could pay £7.99 to subscribe for the month of December.

I would still like to know how this will work - presumably you can watch 1 game live but can you then watch the other 9 at times suitable to you within a period of time?

I am presuming the Amazon prime app needs to be downloaded but onto your tv, Sky HD box or the v6 box?

Will the coverage be in HD or only SD (assuming UHD will be out of the question)?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2018, 19:19   #8162
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

This has to be a 'taster' for Amazon. If the subs jump and the viewing figures good then it would not surprise me in the slightest if Amazon place a hefty bid for one of the more major packages next round of rights.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 19:20   #8163
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
This has to be a 'taster' for Amazon. If the subs jump and the viewing figures good then it would not surprise me in the slightest if Amazon place a hefty bid for one of the more major packages next round of rights.
Not much doubt about that, spanky.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 19:27   #8164
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It's more about how many extra sign up to Prime because of this news.

I'd imagine there is already quite a high percentage of its existing Prime customer base watch Premier League football and I'm not sure two lots of 10 games is that tempting a proposition.

In my opinion Amazon have gone for this because they've got if for a steal , let's be honest the reserve clearly wasn't met for these two remaining packs.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 19:48   #8165
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It's more about how many extra sign up to Prime because of this news.

I'd imagine there is already quite a high percentage of its existing Prime customer base watch Premier League football and I'm not sure two lots of 10 games is that tempting a proposition.

In my opinion Amazon have gone for this because they've got if for a steal , let's be honest the reserve clearly wasn't met for these two remaining packs.
I agree, Amazon negotiated a very good deal and Scudamore was probably getting concerned with getting egg on his face.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 20:54   #8166
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

If it works out and their subs increase enough because of this i'll be surprised if they don't throw their weight behind getting the 3pm rule abolished. I'd happily sign up to Prime on a yearly sub even at an increased price if they could show them, even if that's the only matches they had.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 20:59   #8167
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
If it works out and their subs increase enough because of this i'll be surprised if they don't throw their weight behind getting the 3pm rule abolished. I'd happily sign up to Prime on a yearly sub even at an increased price if they could show them, even if that's the only matches they had.
Can't see that happening, don't forget all the football league clubs attendances would be likely to take a large hit if this happened.

As for Prime, it seems it's benefit is getting Amazon deliveries quicker - except when Amazon renege on their promises at holiday times.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 21:50   #8168
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Interesting article from the BBC in regards to what may happen next time the Premier League rights go to tenure

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44400005

The broadcast landscape is changing quickly.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18   #8169
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm afraid to say that you have absolutely no basis for saying that, Den. Events are starting to prove you wrong earlier than I thought.
My original view still stands OB as Amazon saw a chance to buy a cheap package for peanuts that did not sell as events will still be the same in 3 years time with Sky and BT having the vast majority of the packages still IMO.

---------- Post added at 05:18 ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I agree Den hardly ground-breaking two weeks of football.
l quite agree MM although some might think differently.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:42   #8170
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My original view still stands OB as Amazon saw a chance to buy a cheap package for peanuts that did not sell as events will still be the same in 3 years time with Sky and BT having the vast majority of the packages still IMO.

---------- Post added at 05:18 ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 ----------

l quite agree MM although some might think differently.
My view, Den, is that they did not wish to pay a lot of money this time round because our broadband infrastructure is not yet up to it, which means that a significant number either would not be able to stream matches or would get blocking and stuttering.

Assuming that these problems are behind us in four years' time, streaming should have gained more acceptance, but even if we are not still ready, they can put in place a back-up plan to show these matches, say by setting up an Amazon Sport channel or by selling the rights to show matches on the existing Sky or BT channels.

Whatever the position, I think there is a good chance that Amazon will make a strong bid next time around, and other players may well also enter the fray.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 14:27   #8171
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

BT CEO Gavin Patterson to step down later this year
Quote:
BT Group chief executive Gavin Patterson is due to step down later this year with the company claiming new leadership is needed following recent poor results.

BT said it expects to have a new CEO in place during the second half of the year with Patterson set to continue in the role until a replacement has been found.

Last month BT reported disappointing Q4 results, including a loss of 16,000 TV subscribers, and revealed a plan to cut costs by reducing its headcount by 13,000 people at a cost of £800 million.
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018...ter-this-year/
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 19:05   #8172
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Is it next month when the BT deal with Virgin ends or is it next season?
Old 09-06-2018, 23:32   #8173
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
Thought I read next month...
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:56   #8174
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
An initial 3-year wholesale deal was signed in 2013 I don't know how many years it was extended by
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:09   #8175
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
An initial 3-year wholesale deal was signed in 2013 I don't know how many years it was extended by
I thought it was a further 3 years when they signed a new deal in 2015 to include BT Sport Europe when it launched. Could be wrong though.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote