Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | City Fibre

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

City Fibre

Old 22-04-2021, 10:57   #1
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold
City Fibre

Hi,the streets all around Edinburgh have/are being dug up by City Fibre/Vodaphone.https://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/

Will this affect my Virgin broadband,or is this a completely separate operation and has no impact on Virgin broadband services..
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2021, 11:09   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: city fibre

CityFibre is a competitor. It won't directly affect Virgin, although I guess a bit of local competition may prompt Virgin to offer better deals in time.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 11:11   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It won't affect Virgin as it's a different network, unless they cut through your cable!
Old 22-04-2021, 11:44   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
Hi,the streets all around Edinburgh have/are being dug up by City Fibre/Vodaphone.https://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/

Will this affect my Virgin broadband,or is this a completely separate operation and has no impact on Virgin broadband services..
They could well connect fibre to your house via your telegraph pole so shouldn't come anywhere near your VM connection.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 14:21   #5
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It won't affect Virgin as it's a different network, unless they cut through your cable!
City fibre have been doing parts of Southend for three years now, they cut quite a few connections round here. They are also very slow at getting things done some trenches were left open for weeks.
My Road was dug up over a year ago and still no sign of being able to connect. I believe only a very small area was connected up in 2019.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 16:48   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
City fibre have been doing parts of Southend for three years now, they cut quite a few connections round here. They are also very slow at getting things done some trenches were left open for weeks.
My Road was dug up over a year ago and still no sign of being able to connect. I believe only a very small area was connected up in 2019.
I've heard some good reports about City Fibre, but admittedly the contractors that they use to install their infrastructure need to buck their ideas up.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 22:05   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Just been reading that, as City Fibre are connected to Vodafone, anyone in an area where they operate can access super fast speeds on their phone.

Anyone know any more about this?
Old 22-04-2021, 23:36   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

City fibre are deploying a fibre network and any internet provider in any area could supply services over their network. At present they have deal with Vodafone to use their network but it not as exclusive a deal as it was at first

https://www.telcotitans.com/vodafone...e/1010.article

City Fibre are a genuine national player. They’re building metro/access full fibre networks and they’re nationally connected via the old Torch fibre rings they bought from KCom a few years ago.

Although speaking to people, they’re not getting great penetration. Less than 20% i was told. To be fair their roll out costs may be lower using BT PIA & poles and therefore not digging, but still, I was always on the impression generally that less than 30% penetration was an issue v the cost of investment.

I think any altnet going up against a VM cabled area is a risky proposition. Certainly in Virgin areas it is pretty much accepted that “first in wins”. Insofar that anyone that fibres a new town will pretty much deter anyone else from fibre-ing it. BT have an obligation to, so that would mean a minimum of two full fibre providers everywhere, and a third will rarely be viable.
Old 23-04-2021, 00:48   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The abysmal VM customer service is putting off a lot though. From reading posts, a lot only stay for the speed that they need from VM, so hopefully competition from City Fibre will either allow people to dump VM or force VM to improve.
Old 23-04-2021, 09:03   #10
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The abysmal VM customer service is putting off a lot though. From reading posts, a lot only stay for the speed that they need from VM, so hopefully competition from City Fibre will either allow people to dump VM or force VM to improve.
Grass is always greener....
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 13:56   #11
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Totally this, combined with the price and crappy upload speeds, why the hell would I pay £40 month for the first 18m then £56 a month for 350/35 from Virgin, when I could pay £40 for life with no annual inflation busting price rises for 1000/1000 on Cityfibre from Zen?

Virgin are absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with, dealing with Zen since dumping them has been a breath of fresh air. I'm stuck with 80/20 for now but CF should reach me within 12 months (I'm in Ipswich).
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 20:31   #12
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Totally this, combined with the price and crappy upload speeds, why the hell would I pay £40 month for the first 18m then £56 a month for 350/35 from Virgin, when I could pay £40 for life with no annual inflation busting price rises for 1000/1000 on Cityfibre from Zen?

Virgin are absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with, dealing with Zen since dumping them has been a breath of fresh air. I'm stuck with 80/20 for now but CF should reach me within 12 months (I'm in Ipswich).
In my experience all large Companies are the same customer service comes second to everything. Obviously I am talking in general, there are some employees who go the extra mile to help people out and believe me I am very grateful to those who do.
I try to use local companies as much as possible as they are far keener to keep customers happy.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 20:59   #13
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
CityFibre is a competitor. It won't directly affect Virgin, although I guess a bit of local competition may prompt Virgin to offer better deals in time.
Fat chance, in the short term. I called VM the other day, explaining that I was considering moving to Vodafone/City Fibre. I asked if they might increase my upstream to 100Mb to retain me. The reply was, 'No.' Apparently it is possible on DOCSIS 3.0. All that is required is to set the config to that speed, but I guess the system couldn't support us all getting that speed.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 23:15   #14
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: City Fibre

Virgin want a national product portfolio and national pricing. Even in Southampton where toob sell 1000/1000 for £25 a month, they are still trying to sell 350/35 for £40 then £56 after 18m.

They wouldn't set up a new config for you. 100mbit up is technically possible with d3.0 but depends on frequency allocations and local infrastructure, remember VM is a hodgepodge of different original builds.

VM won't do regional discounts at all, so they will just bleed customers in fttp towns.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:50   #15
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: City Fibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Virgin want a national product portfolio and national pricing. Even in Southampton where toob sell 1000/1000 for £25 a month, they are still trying to sell 350/35 for £40 then £56 after 18m.

They wouldn't set up a new config for you. 100mbit up is technically possible with d3.0 but depends on frequency allocations and local infrastructure, remember VM is a hodgepodge of different original builds.

VM won't do regional discounts at all, so they will just bleed customers in fttp towns.
The problem for a genuinely national provider is that once they start differentiated pricing it creates a lot of stories of “my mate two streets away pays x” and to be honest as the higher paying customer the fact competition is available elsewhere is unlikely to make them less angry about it.

The best you could hope for is retentions offering deals based on what is available which wouldn’t get the same traction in terms of damage to their reputation.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote