Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2020, 13:15   #3166
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
In addition to trade deal sensitivity, maybe also the 5 eyses relationship.
Good point. Huawei is a hard situation to navigate but the Hong Kong situation has already meant that Chinese relations are far worse than back in David Cameron's day.
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2020, 13:45   #3167
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Whatever the reason. It is ultimately the right decision.
Any proof? Or is this another “following the science”?
Old 19-07-2020, 16:02   #3168
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Any proof? Or is this another “following the science”?
Having worked in Telecoms for 26 years, I know all about Huawei from when they first Appeared on the scene With cheap facsimiles of Cisco kit they had ripped off to where they are now.

Security concerns about Huawei is nothing new, and precedes Trump. The Obama administration banned their use.

https://www.telecomramblings.com/201...s-us-problems/

And I remember discussing them with the CPNI around 2008, they had serious concerns
back then.

The risks to U.K. infrastructure were highlighted many years ago

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/...ure-Report.pdf

So do one.

Old 19-07-2020, 17:26   #3169
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

“Working in telecoms” covers a wide range of roles, not all of which require any knowledge of Huawei.

You’re first article is speculative.

Huawei has been under fire in the USA in regards to possible security risks that might derive from its relationships with the Chinese military.

Your second is from 2013 and the concerns obviously not significant enough to stop our mobile networks investing in it in their infrastructure.

“Do one”, for someone who has been in telecoms for 26 years you debate like a child.
Old 19-07-2020, 18:15   #3170
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
“Working in telecoms” covers a wide range of roles, not all of which require any knowledge of Huawei.
Listen, I don’t know what your profession is, if indeed you have one, but I am an incorporated Engineer that has worked in the transmission and fibre engineering sector for a long time. If I was lying the mods on here Could easily ascertain my identity and do a quick LinkedIn search and call me out, but they won’t because I’m not

I don’t have to certify my credentials to you.

Quote:
You’re first article is speculative.
It’s not, Hibernia Atlantic announced to the world they were going to build a new a trans-Atlantic cable that would be partially funded By Huawei and using Huawei equipment.

They were refused permission to build that system by the US government, and instead had to find alternative funding and use US supplier TESubcom, it put the project back years.

Quote:
Your second is from 2013 and the concerns obviously not significant enough to stop our mobile networks investing in it in their infrastructure
The risks were highlighted and continued to be closely monitored, hence the course of action taken.

Quote:
“Do one”, for someone who has been in telecoms for 26 years you debate like a child.
Because I am clearly debating with one, or someone with the mental capacity of one.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...dband-kit.html

Not Huawei but another Chinese vendor, like Huawei, ZTE etc. They are ultimately Chinese state owned, there are no private companies in China.
Old 19-07-2020, 19:44   #3171
jfman
Architect of Ideas

An “engineer” sounds more like manual labour than stakeholder relationship to me. That said I’m sure, behind your keyboard, you will prove me wrong as ever.

I don’t need the mods on here to prove your Conservative credentials, your post history is sufficient.

You’ve linked to a company other than Huawei. Which is fantastic because it makes you look to be clutching at straws.

This is a trade war. Your low level knowledge of the politics of the telecoms sector, being likely on the manual labour side, is irrelevant.
Old 19-07-2020, 19:50   #3172
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Engineer is not manual labour, it is a skilled technical position in Telecomms.

Before retiring, I worked at a number of Universities, and used to attend RUGIT (Russell Group IT Directors Group) meetings, and we often had "off agenda" briefings from representatives from the National Cyber Security Centre (which is part of GCHQ) - there were often warnings about how Chinese students were actively copying/taking back to China proprietary research findings, and how we should be mitigating this (difficult in Universities, who believe knowledge should be shared), and how they had concerns about any Chinese manufacturers tech being embedded in our networks (pro’s were it was cheaper, con’s were it was often built with stolen copyrighted technologies, and concerns about backdoor security potential breaches).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 19-07-2020 at 19:58.
Old 19-07-2020, 20:39   #3173
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
An “engineer” sounds more like manual labour than stakeholder relationship to me. That said I’m sure, behind your keyboard, you will prove me wrong as ever.
I have to prove nothing, that very statement proves you have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about in this field.

I would quit now if I were you on this particular matter should you look more foolish.

Quote:
I don’t need the mods on here to prove your Conservative credentials, your post history is sufficient.
?????? A bizarre and confusing statement. I was Talking about my credentials in the telecoms industry, that you questioned, nothing else. My profession has nothing to do with any political thinking I may have.

Quote:
You’ve linked to a company other than Huawei. Which is fantastic because it makes you look to be clutching at straws.
wrong again, I was just picking up on a very recent story about A Chinese state owned Telco company....as they’re all state owned.....That has been caught with security issues. Huawei, ZTE etc are of the same ilk.

Huawei’s history in counterfeiting Cisco kit and security issues are well documented.

https://news.hitb.org/content/counte...-cisco-exploit

https://www.e-ir.info/2013/03/13/hua...onal-security/

Quote:
This is a trade war. Your low level knowledge of the politics of the telecoms sector, being likely on the manual labour side, is irrelevant.
The difference here is I have a “high” knowledge of the telecoms sector and you have “no” knowledge of the sector, you look foolish ( I would say stupid but that would be an insult), If you want to continue looking foolish, I look forward to your reply.
Old 19-07-2020, 20:51   #3174
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Listen, I don’t know what your profession is, if indeed you have one, but I am an incorporated Engineer that has worked in the transmission and fibre engineering sector for a long time. If I was lying the mods on here Could easily ascertain my identity and do a quick LinkedIn search and call me out, but they won’t because I’m not

I don’t have to certify my credentials to you.

It’s not, Hibernia Atlantic announced to the world they were going to build a new a trans-Atlantic cable that would be partially funded By Huawei and using Huawei equipment.

They were refused permission to build that system by the US government, and instead had to find alternative funding and use US supplier TESubcom, it put the project back years.

The risks were highlighted and continued to be closely monitored, hence the course of action taken.

Because I am clearly debating with one, or someone with the mental capacity of one.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...dband-kit.html

Not Huawei but another Chinese vendor, like Huawei, ZTE etc. They are ultimately Chinese state owned, there are no private companies in China.
You have no right to know me, nor my occupation, however if you claim to use your “expertise” in commenting on a sector it may be helpful if you offered an evidence base. Which in your original post you did not.

If/when Biden wins I’ll be genuinely intrigued to read your climb down.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Quote:
I have to prove nothing
Such extraordinary, although not unexpected, arrogance.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Engineer is not manual labour, it is a skilled technical position in Telecomms.

Before retiring, I worked at a number of Universities, and used to attend RUGIT (Russell Group IT Directors Group) meetings, and we often had "off agenda" briefings from representatives from the National Cyber Security Centre (which is part of GCHQ) - there were often warnings about how Chinese students were actively copying/taking back to China proprietary research findings, and how we should be mitigating this (difficult in Universities, who believe knowledge should be shared), and how they had concerns about any Chinese manufacturers tech being embedded in our networks (pro’s were it was cheaper, con’s were it was often built with stolen copyrighted technologies, and concerns about backdoor security potential breaches).
Grateful if Pierre could present such credentials, although equally indifferent if he/she could not.
Old 19-07-2020, 20:55   #3175
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Chinese telecoms have different kinds of ownership. If Three, for example, was state-owned, I doubt we'd allow it to operate a UK mobile network. But I think we're wondering off topic so I won't post further on this.
Old 19-07-2020, 21:02   #3176
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
You have no right to know me, nor my occupation, however if you claim to use your “expertise” in commenting on a sector it may be helpful if you offered an evidence base. Which in your original post you did not.
I’m not putting CV up.

But I have worked for a major telecoms company for over 25 years in Managerial and consultancy positions. I am an Incorporated Engineer, registered with the engineering Council UK and a member of the IET, and yes in regards to layer 0, layer 1 telecoms I am considered an expert.

Quote:
If/when Biden wins I’ll be genuinely intrigued to read your climb down.
On the contrary, I believe Chinese companies a security risk, the Obama administration banned them, I don’t see why Biden would suddenly embrace them.
Old 19-07-2020, 22:29   #3177
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Are you evidencing these claims or asking the forum to take them at face value.
Old 19-07-2020, 23:10   #3178
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Are you evidencing these claims or asking the forum to take them at face value.
What “claims?” I have Provided evidence, the fact you are out of your depth And trying to argue on a subject you know nothing about is painful to behold.

But let it continue, if you find self flagellation enjoyable.
Old 19-07-2020, 23:17   #3179
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
What “claims?” I have Provided evidence, the fact you are out of your depth And trying to argue on a subject you know nothing about is painful to behold.

But let it continue, if you find self flagellation enjoyable.
You have provided a link to a claim. Unless you have further evidence to post then I’ll consider your rhetoric to be irrelevant. As ever you offer no insight so it may be worth offering an opinion first before dismissing everyone else...
Old 19-07-2020, 23:31   #3180
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
You have provided a link to a claim. Unless you have further evidence to post then I’ll consider your rhetoric to be irrelevant. As ever you offer no insight so it may be worth offering an opinion first before dismissing everyone else...
I’ve provided more than enough evidence on this particular issue.

So in light of all the evidence you wish to ignore, I’ll dismiss you again, on this matter, you Know nothing, you’re coming across as an idiot.

If you carry on, you’ll only be confirming the proposition.