Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

Old 24-02-2008, 18:10   #16
UncleBooBoo

Re: Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

Ok Gavin.

To get back on track, The op was looking for a voip provider to replace his home phone, now unless he wants to leave his computer on 24/7 and have an 02 number that may not be suitable depending on his area i don't think skype is a good solution.

Vonage is but due to their servers being based in the usa depending on who his isp is this can sometimes be a problem. See vonage forums for further info...
One other downside is you can only use vonage supplied hardware in most cases this is ok but it restrics things later on down the line if you want to make some changes hardware wise even more so if you have given your number out to people!

I would recommend companies such as gradwell, voip.co.uk and voipfone etc... Just pick one that saves you the most depending on when you make your calls. These companies also allow number porting from and to BT etc... as well as other voip providers.
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2008, 19:03   #17
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo View Post
How have i slated skype?
By calling its users amateurs. Or in your case amatures.
Old 24-02-2008, 19:18   #18
UncleBooBoo

Umm i am an amateur when it comes to a lot of things, i don't take offence!

I am an amateur diy enthusiast does that mean i am slating B&Q?

Skype is for voip enthusiasts/amateurs end of now how about keeping this thread on topic, we will just have to agree to disagree if you want to have a dig at me personally do it by pm so people on this forum don't get bored!
Old 24-02-2008, 19:19   #19
Xan
Inactive

Xan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the rough

I used skype in/out payed for it all even got a phone which connects to the router so you dont need computer on,Had nothing but trouble with skype.Keep with your lanline phone,skype is good as a second phone.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 19:24   #20
UncleBooBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
I used skype in/out payed for it all even got a phone which connects to the router so you dont need computer on
That's interesting, what hardware did you use and what proxy did you connect via?

If im still correct i belive skype in is still beta but i may be wrong. Been a while since i used skype.
Old 24-02-2008, 19:41   #21
Losttheplot

Quote:
Umm i am an amateur when it comes to a lot of things, i don't take offence!

I am an amateur diy enthusiast does that mean i am slating B&Q?

Skype is for voip enthusiasts/amateurs end of now how about keeping this thread on topic, if you want to have a dig at me personally do it by pm so people on this forum don't get bored!
If you said B&Q is for amateurs then yes. You would have insulted all B&Q visitors! Its not just beginners who use Skype.
Yes back to the subject.
Skype is just a very handy piece of software for people out and about. I use it from work, my last company used to recommend its use as we did a lot of round the world travelling. I've used it around the world, to speak to people, but probably use it more for sending messages.
As far as Vonage goes, once I'd got all the required ports opened up with the right protocols its worked absolutely fault free for me for the last two years. I'm on ADSL though so can't comment on cable usage. The fact you don't have to mess about setting up equipment (apart from firewalls) is a plus.

I looked at other VOIP providers and decided Vonage would be best for all the UK phone calls we make, the fact that Greece is now free to call was a big bonus.
Old 24-02-2008, 19:45   #22
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Dunno if it's still true, but one thing that you used to need to look out for in VOIP providers is that they (particularly Skype and Vonage) frequently blocked calls to 999.

Also, there's the practical aspect of what you do if there is a fire, or powercut? In either case, your router and/or modem will probably not get power, so will not handle outside calls. Phone lines are powered independantly, and are legally required to have battery back up in the event of an area power failure.

Of course, if you have a mobile with some power and a signal, this is all covered.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 19:51   #23
UncleBooBoo

Good point, i know voip.co.uk and voipfone allow calls to 999 not sure about gradwell though.

Something else to think about.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Also, there's the practical aspect of what you do if there is a fire, or powercut? In either case, your router and/or modem will probably not get power, so will not handle outside calls. Phone lines are powered independantly, and are legally required to have battery back up in the event of an area power failure.
Then again most people use some type of cordless phone these days so they also don't have use of a phone line during power failure. I also thought VM phone lines don't work if there is a power failure as they have no backup power source in the cabs or am i wrong?

I know BT have battery backup in the exchange.
Old 24-02-2008, 19:56   #24
Losttheplot

Quote:
Dunno if it's still true, but one thing that you used to need to look out for in VOIP providers is that they (particularly Skype and Vonage) frequently blocked calls to 999.

Of course, if you have a mobile with some power and a signal, this is all covered.
With Vonage you now have to register an address that 999 calls will apply to.
Old 24-02-2008, 20:44   #25
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I can confirm 999 calls work fine from Vonage lines - we've had to call it once or twice and they had all our details.

As for Vonage on Cable/ADSL, I've had both and it works fine. Personally I'd never switch back to a "real" phone line. I've had both BT and VM phone line at the same time as my Vonage line and I never used either.

Free calls to a long list of countries as well as the UK is great. Currently we have cable BB and the Vonage line - no "real" line at all and never miss it. Like Stu said, I have a mobile to if it ever goes off (only twice in two years) I have a mobile to call them on.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 13:45   #26
chamoan
Inactive

Services: 20MB, TV+PHONE
chamoan will become famous soon enoughchamoan will become famous soon enoughchamoan will become famous soon enough

I have used Tesco VOIP, i tried different phones, even the kit where you plug it into your router directly. For UK calls all seemed well, but for calling Canada from the UK was always a waste of space, they could never hear me, i tried it on different computers aswell with same results.

Also with Tesco mics/phones, it would never let me adjust the microphone level, it would always preset itself, which is totally useless.

I gave up with them in the end cos it was just a waste of time, which is a shame cos for something like £8.50 a month it was free UK landline and selected international destinations unlimited calls (if i remember correctly).
chamoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 14:10   #27
Xan
Inactive

Xan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That's interesting, what hardware did you use and what proxy did you connect via?

If im still correct i belive skype in is still beta but i may be wrong. Been a while since i used skype.
this is the phone i had nothing but trouble avoid skype as your main line

Dualphone 3088

• Make and receive both Skype and landline calls, without needing a PC
• Attractive cordless phone
• Easy to use graphical interface with color LCD screen
• DECT wireless technology so won’t interfere with WiFi networks
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 14:19   #28
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Vonage do not block 999. In fact they are on a campaign right now to get their customer base to make sure that they have the right address in the system so E911/E999/E112 works effectively.

How I do that with mine as it is located in the US instead of the UK is a bit of a challenge but hey ho.

I would have said SkyPe is for pros not am's as it is not plug and play wheras Vonage is for amatures as it is plug and play. Vonage do allow settings for call quality to be changed but they do it through their web interface not through the router hardware.
Quote:

Being as many homes have only cordless phones attached to their BT/Virgin outlet so when the power goes out the line may work but the cordless base station does not this is a bit less of an issue than many make out (though of course legally you should have battery back up in such a system or a wired handset installed).

Now, Tesco outsource this kinda thing, so who is the real provider of Tesco VOIP?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 14:35   #29
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Vonage is a great package with excellent quality. We used it along side VM for a month last year and had no problems at all until we got an even better deal from VM and tried to cancel within their 30 MBG. Now thats another story
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 13:23   #30
bikeman
Inactive

bikeman is an unknown quantity at this point

I use tesco regularly for incoming calls as they provide a free geographic number of my business.

I have used it with the free xlite softphone and tescos own softphone on vista and it works great. Even does 999 calls.

I have tried lots of voip services and tesco voip is the only one that consistently provides good landline quality service - with every other voip provider I had problems with one way transmission on incoming calls.

I don't use them for outgoing because the 2ppm rate is not competitive but I know they offer free eve7 wkend calls for £2pm, free anytime for £5pm and mobile calls for 7.5ppm for £2.50 pm.

I've never had any problems and on the few occcasions I have contacted them they have been very good. I would whole heartedly recommend them.

I wouldn't recommend VM quite so unreservedly!
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote