Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Which streamer wins your vote ?
View Poll Results: Best value for money streamer
Netflix 32 52.46%
Now 4 6.56%
Amazon Prime Video 15 24.59%
Disney + 18 29.51%
Apple TV + 1 1.64%
Other 5 8.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-05-2021, 12:00   #1
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Which streamer wins your vote ?

Looking purely at the range of choice and quality of titles which streaming service offers you the best value for money either as a standalone or addition to your pay TV sub ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2021, 12:11   #2
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Which streamer wins your vote ?

Now for me, but I'm only paying £4.99. Atlantic and Sky channels on multiple TV sets/devices. Bargain.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 12:31   #3
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Discovery+ was £29.99 for a whole year when it launched and I have watched more on it than any other streamer since.

I do have most of the others as well.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 12:36   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Disney + as there is plenty of content on there that suits our own households taste.
Old 29-05-2021, 12:53   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Not sure why this is a multi-choice poll when you want to know which one people think is best?

Anyhoo ... it’s got to be a little subjective because it depends what sort of stuff you want to watch. There’s an absolute ton of very high profile stuff on Disney+ for example, and it’s great to get access to new content so soon after it’s been in the cinema. But they’re still falling far short on new episodic content of the sort most people want to dip in to on a weekday evening. They added Star to try to rectify this but even here they’re still relying on a large back catalogue rather than producing lots of new content.

Amazon is a bit weird and experimental, probably because they’re giving it away free with Prime parcel delivery so perhaps they think they’re not risking losing subs. They obviously really, really want to get into live sports which doesn’t interest me in the slightest. They have a nasty habit of providing partial box sets and then giving you barely enough time to watch them before they go off Prime.

Apple TV seems to exist because Apple thinks this is something it ought to be doing, though it has little idea why. For All Mankind is exceptionally good but it’s the only thing I’ve been able to stay with. Like Amazon, the service has other reasons to survive - they’re also renting and selling content so the platform is going nowhere if only for that reason.

Now TV I have no experience of, but as I have no interest in Sky I don’t think I’m missing out.

That only leaves Netflix, which gets many more hours of screen time in our house than everything else combined. Netflix has by far the cleanest UI, the simplest proposition (pay once, all you can eat) and an enormous, highly varied catalogue that they are constantly adding to with new content, much of which they’re commissioning themselves so it’s there for good.

So, I voted Netflix for all-round excellence, and in our household Disney+ gets a solid second place because when they do make original shows, they do it exceptionally well.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 12:56   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

if I had to subscribe to only one service it would be none of them and my trusted Usenet provider hehehe

I sub to Netflix Now and Prime. Hard to choose which is best but I hardly use Now
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 13:43   #7
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Netflix for me as offers more of what i watch plus i'm only paying £4.50 for 4 screens and 4k anyway.
Old 29-05-2021, 18:23   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Dropped Amazon never seemed to watch it. So a vote for Netflix
Old 29-05-2021, 19:01   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Dropped Amazon never seemed to watch it. So a vote for Netflix
I wangled a Student account so only pay £3.99 and I get netflix and youtube cheap to and on a £4.99 deal with Now till August
Old 29-05-2021, 19:36   #10
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Now for me, but I'm only paying £4.99. Atlantic and Sky channels on multiple TV sets/devices. Bargain.
Spot on, same here.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 22:59   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Go to be iPlayer, so guess I vote 'other' !
The Beeb still has the best original output, many films on there too.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 23:17   #12
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I wangled a Student account so only pay £3.99 and I get netflix and youtube cheap to and on a £4.99 deal with Now till August
Trump you .free via a friends account !
Old 29-05-2021, 23:32   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Trump you .free via a friends account !
yeah I share mine with me Dad
Old 30-05-2021, 12:33   #14
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've had a couple of free trials with Amazon Prime, but ran out of things I wanted to watch before they trials expired.

None of the others have interested me up to now, but the loss of Fox might make me think again.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 13:10   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I've had a couple of free trials with Amazon Prime, but ran out of things I wanted to watch before they trials expired.

None of the others have interested me up to now, but the loss of Fox might make me think again.
I love Prime. If I fancy a bar of fruit and nut I can order one then next day it is here and only cost me 95p. I make a number of purchases a month off Amazon often quite small cheap objects. Prime rules for that and £3.99 is nothing. The Video side of it is just a bonus for me