Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM General News Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM General News Thread

Old 28-05-2020, 13:48   #361
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Exactly as Sky are reducing a lot of their outlets as well.
Old 28-05-2020, 17:21   #362
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Virgin Media to disappear from the UK high street.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...et-coronavirus
I would imagine that post-merger, the O2 shops will market Virgin Media's services as well, in the way that the EE shops now market BT services - well, once they reopen, that is!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 19:27   #363
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I’ve never understood why they were there anyway
Old 28-05-2020, 19:53   #364
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’ve never understood why they were there anyway
They were inherited from Virgin Mobile as that's how most mobile phones were sold back in the day.
Old 01-08-2020, 16:38   #365
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin Media will freeze its prices this year after scrapping the annual 5% hike

No doubt they'll make it for it with either 2 rises next year or a bumper 10% rise in Autumn 2021.
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:03   #366
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Just what I was thinking when I read the news
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50   #367
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Virgin Media will freeze its prices this year after scrapping the annual 5% hike

No doubt they'll make it for it with either 2 rises next year or a bumper 10% rise in Autumn 2021.
I'm sure VM would increase its prices if it could. Sadly, we're just at the start of a big recession so organisations like VM will be reluctant to attempt any significant price rises in 2021.
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...on-mean-for-uk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863
Old 02-08-2020, 11:03   #368
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm sure VM would increase its prices if it could. Sadly, we're just at the start of a big recession so organisations like VM will be reluctant to attempt any significant price rises in 2021.
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...on-mean-for-uk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863
It's probably as much to do with VM's ability to handle a large volume of inbound calls at the moment too. According to the website, some of their call centres are still closed. Welcome news for customers though.

If I was VM, I'd use this as an opportunity to align with Sky's annual rise in April, so that Sport and Cinema customers don't have quite so many rounds of price rises each year.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:48   #369
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
It's probably as much to do with VM's ability to handle a large volume of inbound calls at the moment too. According to the website, some of their call centres are still closed. Welcome news for customers though.

If I was VM, I'd use this as an opportunity to align with Sky's annual rise in April, so that Sport and Cinema customers don't have quite so many rounds of price rises each year.
I think aligning VM's price rises to April is a sensible one although it's not guaranteed that Sky will raise its prices next April, for the reason I outlined.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:28   #370
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think aligning VM's price rises to April is a sensible one although it's not guaranteed that Sky will raise its prices next April, for the reason I outlined.
Yes, I remember Sky freezing their prices for a year during the recession - it would have been around 2009 or 2010. You probably remember that Virgin used to raise prices in February, but that changed after 2016, when there were two price rises. I guess this year's freeze partly makes up for that double rise.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:51   #371
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I'm reading the o2 and three mobile merger is back on potentially after the EU court backed down.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...uk-merger.html

What does this mean for o2-virgin media merger?? or will o2 merge with 3 and then merge with virgin media?!

surely the courts wont allow that as it shrinks the market even more
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:25   #372
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I'm reading the o2 and three mobile merger is back on potentially after the EU court backed down.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...uk-merger.html

What does this mean for o2-virgin media merger?? or will o2 merge with 3 and then merge with virgin media?!

surely the courts wont allow that as it shrinks the market even more
It’s not “back on”.

The reason for it being stopped has been overturned that’s all. O2 have moved on and the joint venture with VM is well on track.

Just goes to show though how damaging EU bureaucracy can be to business. 4 years down the line that decision has taken.
Old 07-08-2020, 21:46   #373
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s not “back on”.

The reason for it being stopped has been overturned that’s all. O2 have moved on and the joint venture with VM is well on track.

Just goes to show though how damaging EU bureaucracy can be to business. 4 years down the line that decision has taken.
The EU commission was never going to go against the wishes of Ofcom, CMA and the Government on that decision. It made no sense if I'm honest, its one of the few things I will praise the EU for.

However as you say the JV between VM and O2 is going ahead, there is very litte concern in respect of competition as O2 doesn't have a fixed line network and VM doesn't have its own mobile network. This will likely go through with little issue, plus I doubt the EU Commission will given an opinion anyway considering we are leaving in the next 4 and a bit months.

O2 + Three would have reduced competition, however the JV does not.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:35   #374
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Liberty Global today said it has acquired Swiss telecoms group Sunrise Communications in a deal worth 6.8bn Swiss francs ($7.4bn).

Liberty, which is run by US cable mogul John Malone, said it had agreed to buy Sunrise for 110 Swiss francs a share, representing a 32 per cent premium on the company’s average share price in the 60 days to 11 August...

The deal comes less than a year after Sunrise’s 6.3bn franc attempt to take over Liberty’s Swiss cable business UPC fell through last year.
https://www.cityam.com/liberty-globa...ise-for-7-4bn/
Old 17-05-2021, 00:25   #375
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

The old codger is at it again...

AT&T are going to spin off their WarnerMedia assets and merge them with Malone's Discovery.

And of course for those conspiracy theorists out there, don't be surprised if this becomes another one of Malone's great tax "planning" wheezes, with as much AT&T debt (acquired when AT&T bought Time Warner) loaded onto the new entity as possible.

And if anyone remembers my comments regarding ITV, look out for future action there too. Discovery owns a chunk of ITV and with rising ad sales, ITV could be an attractive buy for the new Warner/Discovery company. Check out my first post of this thread (and my original thread on this linked from the first post of this thread), and throw in Lionsgate and Starz into the cooking pot for good measure too.

Also, I would expect Comcast to do a similar thing in the end and spin off its media assets and merge them with someone like Viacom. Remember what's currently going on with VM and O2... read between the lines there.

Now, can the old codger do any better than this deal, of course he can! Don't forget Amazon, Apple et all are still waiting in the wings. $150bn companies might sound big to us, but when you're a trillion dollar company, $150bn is not such a big deal, save for a bit of indigestion. Get the rennies out, as the biggies are still to come in the next few years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/16/att-...discovery.html