Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

Old 07-08-2018, 18:49   #31
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It would take a very large leap of faith to think that you would be able to find the correct information by doing that. You're lucky if they understand what your saying and vice versa with that foreign call centre.

Like I said earlier, you probably have more chance of finding out the correct answer by calling Tesco!
Ask for an email confirming what they have said, and if they won’t, request to s-eaknto a supervisor.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2018, 23:44   #32
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

So not getting a good enough deal is reason to talk shop with him.

Figures.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 18:44   #33
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Please all be reminded to stay on topic and not get personal with each other
Old 23-08-2018, 16:40   #34
G4v1n
Inactive

G4v1n is an unknown quantity at this point

Following the debacle with the UK TV channels and the seemingly never ending series of price rises (the latest being the £3.50 one I was just notified of) I'm definitely interested in canceling my TV XL bundle and going broadband only. I don't have phone since I didn't want it in the first place - though VM did everything to push it on me even sending one around with the engineer who first came to install my box.

If I can't simply downgrade to a lower service level, like I could with Sky, I'll just cancel altogether and look at other options. The reason I don't want to commit to 12 months at this time is simply because i'm hoping to move house before the end of the year and there's no telling if I can even get VM at wherever I buy, and don't want to pay a cancellation fee due to early contract termination in that event.

Unfortunately, past experience dealing with VM on the telephone has been awful with long waits, diifficulty finding out what I want to know and high call charges from my mobile, so if anyone can simply tell me what the policy is I'd be grateful.
G4v1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 19:32   #35
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4v1n View Post
Following the debacle with the UK TV channels and the seemingly never ending series of price rises (the latest being the £3.50 one I was just notified of) I'm definitely interested in canceling my TV XL bundle and going broadband only. I don't have phone since I didn't want it in the first place - though VM did everything to push it on me even sending one around with the engineer who first came to install my box.

If I can't simply downgrade to a lower service level, like I could with Sky, I'll just cancel altogether and look at other options. The reason I don't want to commit to 12 months at this time is simply because i'm hoping to move house before the end of the year and there's no telling if I can even get VM at wherever I buy, and don't want to pay a cancellation fee due to early contract termination in that event.

Unfortunately, past experience dealing with VM on the telephone has been awful with long waits, diifficulty finding out what I want to know and high call charges from my mobile, so if anyone can simply tell me what the policy is I'd be grateful.

Unless it has since changed you can get a monthly contract with VM according to this link.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-tv-phone.html
Old 24-08-2018, 17:58   #36
G4v1n
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Unless it has since changed you can get a monthly contract with VM according to this link.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-tv-phone.html
Thanks - didn't know about that, looks interesting. BB is 'only' 50mbps (I've currently got 100) but would actually be more than enough for anything I do.
Old 13-10-2018, 21:18   #37
G4v1n
Inactive

Just to follow up a couple of months later - finally got around to removing the telly part of my contract as I literally don't use it any more having long since moved over to streaming and downloading TV shows.

Switched over to a 30 day rolling broadband contract of the same speed rating as my existing broadband so should just be a case of my TV dropping off in a few weeks time whereupon I can get rid of my V+ box .... it's pretty outdated these days plus it seems to be pretty power hungry, will be happy to remove it.

Apart from a very long-winded wait to get to the point where I could speak to a rep you could remove it (just over 30 mins start to finish on my second attempt, my first call seemed to get dropped after 8 mins in) it was pretty easy to get the change done - no haggling which was a relief as I was getting extremely fed up with the 'on holds' and tolerance for someone trying to sell me another TV contract was non-existent.

Should have done it months ago - the savings will more than pay for my Amazon, Netflix and NowTV streaming services and I have access to BT TV to stream to my Chromecast.
Old 13-10-2018, 21:25   #38
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Apparently, they are now beginning to phase out the V+ boxes on the network anyway.

You might find that you get a call before your TV service stops with an offer of a good deal to stay (particularly if you also take a landline from them.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 22:36   #39
G4v1n
Inactive

Quote:
Apparently, they are now beginning to phase out the V+ boxes on the network anyway.

You might find that you get a call before your TV service stops with an offer of a good deal to stay (particularly if you also take a landline from them.
Unless they give me TV and phone for free and retain 30 days rolling status, I'm absolutely not interested.

Their phone package was always rubbish and I just wasn't using the TV with so many streaming options available to me - and I don't want to commit to a longer term contract.

Fair play to them for offering rolling 30-day contracts but really as someone who has been on their service for a decade and was long out of contract, I should just be able to tell them to drop any part of the service I want without having to 'switch' to a rolling contract to avoid being committed for another year.
Old 14-10-2018, 00:51   #40
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4v1n View Post
Unless they give me TV and phone for free and retain 30 days rolling status, I'm absolutely not interested.

Their phone package was always rubbish and I just wasn't using the TV with so many streaming options available to me - and I don't want to commit to a longer term contract.

Fair play to them for offering rolling 30-day contracts but really as someone who has been on their service for a decade and was long out of contract, I should just be able to tell them to drop any part of the service I want without having to 'switch' to a rolling contract to avoid being committed for another year.
The minimum TV package is free, but you have to pay a £3 per month TiVo fee AND I think you have to have a phone which will attract line rental.

Do they charge you extra for a rolling 30 day BB contract?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 20:14   #41
G4v1n
Inactive

Quote:
The minimum TV package is free, but you have to pay a £3 per month TiVo fee AND I think you have to have a phone which will attract line rental.

Do they charge you extra for a rolling 30 day BB contract?

For 'broadband only', seems to be the same per month for a 12 month contract as a rolling one but if you are taking out a contract for the first time the rolling upfront fee is £65 vs £20 for the 12 month contract.

However, if you take phone as well as BB you get a nice discount with the 12 month contract (£8 a month cheaper) whereas you pay £7 a month more on the rolling.

Don't know if there are hidden line rental charges in there if you take the phone.