Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Old 06-02-2021, 15:09   #31
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I have been on several trials in the past. I think they use me as a " idiotic old biddy" So if I don't have problems then the kit/tweaks must be OK for release.

I do use my Hub3 in router mode but, as far as I can see I can't see how the pods would help so I doubt if I will join the trial.

Unless someone here can suggest a benefit in my using them?
If they works as a mesh, they will improve the consistency of your wifi, and hand off seamlessly to each other.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2021, 15:47   #32
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If they works as a mesh, they will improve the consistency of your wifi, and hand off seamlessly to each other.
I am on 200M but at the moment and only get that level at weekends when homeworkers and home schoolers take a break. The 160/170M I reach during the week does what I need and I rarely use my chromebook in a different room to my hub unless I am working in the kitchen and want to follow a film. So the pods would hardly get a workout.

If it meant that I got 200m+ all the time then I would consider signing up if only to annoy the tech officianardos on the trial with my comments.
Old 06-02-2021, 16:19   #33
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

If your speed reduces due to utilisation in peak hours, the Pods won't help. They only improve the coverage within your home
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 17:23   #34
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Thanks Mr Spider. I have applied to join the trial and see what happens. I do think my weekday reductions are due to utilisation issues but I will be interested to see if there are any imporvements.
Old 07-02-2021, 16:21   #35
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I've been invited to the trial as well, Funnily enough,I had to register my interest 4 days previously for them to let me know when they will have the pods in stock.
I not heard if I've been chosen or not but I just want to get our blind spot fixed which is the kitchen thats only 12 foot away from the Superhub 3.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:36   #36
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I also got an invite, or at least an invite to apply.
I wont be doing so as just like the previous trial, you have to switch out of modem mode, which I dont want to do.
I dont have any major WiFi issues either so I dont think Id really gain much from it.

I am curious about one thing - with this pod system can you set your own SSID and password, or are you forced to use preset VM details ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:34   #37
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I also got an invite, or at least an invite to apply.
I wont be doing so as just like the previous trial, you have to switch out of modem mode, which I dont want to do.
I dont have any major WiFi issues either so I dont think Id really gain much from it.

I am curious about one thing - with this pod system can you set your own SSID and password, or are you forced to use preset VM details ?
i had the same invite yesterday. I'm not sure if this is the case, but is it possible to use ethernet as a backhaul rather than wifi for these VM mesh wifi devices?

I currently have the hub3.0 in modem mode which is connected to an Edgerouter X connected to a 24 port unmanaged switch with 3 BT Whole Home discs connected to each other via gigabit ethernet backhaul
Old 09-02-2021, 10:42   #38
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
As far as I know yes. The Hub co-ordinate the rest of the Pods as a mesh network, so should link to whatever it's set as

I'm pretty sure the only guidance for the Pods is that you can't have the SSID split between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, need 5Ghz enabled and WPA2 enabled.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As far as I know yes. The Hub co-ordinate the rest of the Pods as a mesh network, so should link to whatever it's set as

I'm pretty sure the only guidance for the Pods is that you can't have the SSID split between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, need 5Ghz enabled and WPA2 enabled.
Oh and have the 'Smart WiFi' option switched on. I'd think that's to ensure that all the Pods can ensure they're on the best WiFi channels.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:43   #39
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I've had an email this morning which I find confusing..
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to order a pod but they were out of stock so I registered my interest for when they come back into stock. 3 days later, recieved an invitation to the trial so I signed up.
This morning, I recieved an email thanking me for changing my services. It went on to state that my new services include Intelligent WiFi pod 1,We've removed WiFi booster starter kit.
The thing is,Ive not heard either way if they are sending a pod because I registered my interest or if Ive been chosen for the trial, Ive recieved nothing.

It then states that 'Service changes were made to your account on 17th February 2021. So do I assume by this that the pod is in transit and has anybody else recieved this email but no pod?
Old 12-02-2021, 12:56   #40
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I've had an email this morning which I find confusing..
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to order a pod but they were out of stock so I registered my interest for when they come back into stock. 3 days later, recieved an invitation to the trial so I signed up.
This morning, I recieved an email thanking me for changing my services. It went on to state that my new services include Intelligent WiFi pod 1,We've removed WiFi booster starter kit.
The thing is,Ive not heard either way if they are sending a pod because I registered my interest or if Ive been chosen for the trial, Ive recieved nothing.

It then states that 'Service changes were made to your account on 17th February 2021. So do I assume by this that the pod is in transit and has anybody else recieved this email but no pod?
Some others who registered for the trial have received the same email - looks like you're in!
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:03   #41
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

oh right,thanks for quickly clearing that up. I better look out for the postman then.
Old 12-02-2021, 14:32   #42
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Yeah I had the email too. My SH3 has been in modem mode permanently with 3 Unifi AP's doing a stellar job of bathing house and garden with WiFi.

VM did a survey a few years ago to make their trial targeting better, by asking about your home setup. They clearly aren't using the results.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 09:08   #43
qwakuk
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph, 3 V6 boxes, M600 BB
qwakuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have something odd going on with my network and i assume it is VM messing with my SH3.

For the past few days my wireless on the SH3 is being enabled even though I have it disabled and am only realising because my Unifi Controller software informs me of a "rouge ap" on the network.

Had a message from Yodel this morning so assume my Pod is being delivered in the coming days and I assume it is somehow connected. Anyone noticed the same ?
qwakuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 09:42   #44
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

If you have had a message from Yodel then your pod will arrive today.
Mine has just arrived so I will test it later.
Old 17-02-2021, 11:42   #45
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

"For the past few days my wireless on the SH3 is being enabled even though I have it disabled"

Same situation here as well.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote