Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 14:40   #3646
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Good point.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

This thread is in danger of getting a bit cheerful so I thought I'd better share today's reminder of the huge economic cost the UK is facing.

https://www.ft.com/content/96e19afd-...e-a72bd1f60d3c
Bear in mind, the hit to the economy will be even worse if we come out of lockdown too early.
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2021, 15:37   #3647
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It's optional?.
Of course it's optional, one of the benefits of living in a free society.

Or at least we used to, not so sure anymore.

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
A further issue is that with wide spread media and reporting small anomalies are inflated. Statistically that may not be that important but it is to those involved, at what point does policy change to cover that anomaly? .
Mr Nail, meet Mr Hammer, how's your head.
Old 12-02-2021, 16:04   #3648
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Wink Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

If you frame my quote in context you'll note I'd never disputed that point.

You should be hoping it's mandatory it's the only chance you've got of restrictions easing soon. And even then, I'd describe it as slim.
Old 12-02-2021, 16:37   #3649
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Mr Nail, meet Mr Hammer, how's your head.
I lived in West Berlin for a couple of years during the Cold War, and was very cognisant (it was my job) of the situation about peoples and societal freedom in East Germany and the Soviet Bloc - trust me, we are nowhere near, or even on the road, to those sort of conditions.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 12-02-2021, 17:31   #3650
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I lived in West Berlin for a couple of years during the Cold War, and was very cognisant (it was my job) of the situation about peoples and societal freedom in East Germany and the Soviet Bloc - trust me, we are nowhere near, or even on the road, to those sort of conditions.
He’s trying to drop ideas so subtly change the minds of people into thinking it’s a battle for freedom. On the Current Affairs section where I’ve never seen anyone change their minds, ever.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Some good news for Pierre from Professor Lockdown/Pantsdown (delete as applicable).

Clearly decided he will get more Government coin and media appearances by going all Karol Sikora.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-neil-ferguson
Old 12-02-2021, 17:55   #3651
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There is always one.

All adults will never vaccinated, there will always be those that are not.

That of course is before you even start thinking about those who turn 18 after the current programme of vaccinations has finished.

As the saying goes, an Ex is a has been, and a Spurt is a Drip under Pressure.
Plus we don't yet know how long those that are vaccinated will be protected for either.
Old 12-02-2021, 19:45   #3652
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Of course.

The UK would never jail anyone for 10 years for failing to say they visited certain countries, because that would be totally draconian.

Oh ... wait .....
Quote:
Those who fail to quarantine in a designated hotel face fines of £5,000 to £10,000. Anyone who lies on their passenger locator form about having been in a country on the red list will face a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 12-02-2021, 20:08   #3653
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Of course.

The UK would never jail anyone for 10 years for failing to say they visited certain countries, because that would be totally draconian.

Oh ... wait .....
I suspect jailing East Germans for failing to say they visited certain countries was never too much of an issue.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 12-02-2021 at 20:31.
Old 12-02-2021, 20:14   #3654
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I suspect jailing East Germans or failing to say they visited certain countries was never too much of an issue.
How about the best part of a year under house arrest, not allowed to meet your family or friends, only allowed out for 1 hours exercise per day, not even allowed to go to work............
Old 12-02-2021, 20:34   #3655
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
How about the best part of a year under house arrest, not allowed to meet your family or friends, only allowed out for 1 hours exercise per day, not even allowed to go to work............
Who would that be?

I can go to the shops, walk the dog (not in the shops), and when not in lockdown, I went to restaurants and met friends in pub beer gardens - that’s not "house arrest"...

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Quote:
Of course.

Oh ... wait .....
Yes, because a country with a law which states you will be imprisoned if you don’t follow quarantine rules when entering the country from abroad is exactly the same as a State which built a wall with machine-gun posts, mine-fields to keep it’s citizen in, and had everyone terrified of it’s Secret Police...
Old 12-02-2021, 20:52   #3656
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Who would that be?

I can go to the shops, walk the dog (not in the shops), and when not in lockdown, I went to restaurants and met friends in pub beer gardens - that’s not "house arrest"...

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Yes, because a country with a law which states you will be imprisoned if you don’t follow quarantine rules when entering the country from abroad is exactly the same as a State which built a wall with machine-gun posts, mine-fields to keep it’s citizen in, and had everyone terrified of it’s Secret Police...

So to sum up you can go out for exercise and get some food shopping, enjoy your freedom. your dog has more freedom than you do.

Last edited by papa smurf; 12-02-2021 at 21:00.
Old 12-02-2021, 22:09   #3657
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Sound of goal posts moving...

I have no issues with some personal inconvenience to help save others lives - I don’t confuse inconvenience with oppression...
Old 12-02-2021, 22:57   #3658
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

I have no issues with some personal inconvenience to help save others lives - I don’t confuse inconvenience with oppression...
Off topic, but I wanted to alert Hugh (and any others with a dog) to this:

Be careful when you walk the dog, there has been a massive increase in dog theft. People are even having their dogs forcibly taken from them whilst taking them for a walk. There was an attempted theft of a friends dog yesterday by a man in a van facing the wrong way! With lockdown there are less people milling about too.

It's up 250% this year alone:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55995738

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-02-2021 at 23:43.
Old 12-02-2021, 22:58   #3659
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Unfortunately many of the self centred citizens in the UK (and a few on here) can't see the difference.
Old 13-02-2021, 00:22   #3660
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Though apparently you confuse inconvenience & 10 years in jail.

Baby, I was born this way.
Closed Thread