Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

New Computer

Old 29-11-2018, 15:57   #1
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them
New Computer

I have an old PC still running Windows XP, SP3 with perfection may I add. It is hooked up to a USB Ethernet modem. My XP is not wireless enabled, in fact there is no wireless network adaptor icon shown in Device Manager. I will keep this PC untouched and running.

I intend to buy a brand new PC complete with Windows 10. The set is wireless enabled. It will be located 4 - 5 feet away from my existing PC.

I have just phoned my broadband provider Virgin Media and asked if my modem is wireless enabled and supports WiFi.

I was told explicitly that my existing modem is wireless enabled for WiFi and that if I enter the modem details into my new computers network, it will be up and running on the Internet and all else.
All that will be needed is a power supply, no other connections.

Is this correct ?

Last edited by beaker17; 29-11-2018 at 16:59.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2018, 16:04   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: New Computer

Yes - you will need to log on to the modem wifi network from your new pc.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 16:05   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

There is no "modem" that supports wireless. What VM kit have you actually got and why would you need a power supply?
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 16:09   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It's probably his term for whichever VM Hub he has.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 16:14   #5
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There is no "modem" that supports wireless. What VM kit have you actually got and why would you need a power supply?
"There is no "modem" that supports wireless" - Oh yes there is.

I need a power supply because the new desktop does not run on batteries.
Old 29-11-2018, 16:16   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Really?
Quote:
It is hooked up to a USB Ethernet modem

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
"There is no "modem" that supports wireless" - Oh yes there is.

I need a power supply because the new desktop does not run on batteries.
Name one.
Old 29-11-2018, 16:42   #7
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Really?

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Name one.
Virgin told me that my modem is wireless enabled and can be used in harmony with other WiFi equipment. That is good enough for me and I will not enter into an argument about terminology.

Perhaps it is a modem, a router or a modem/router - I could not care less.
If Virgin told me my "modem" is a WiFi enabled device, then it is and that is all I care about, not its correct name. I will have to accept Virgin's information until I prove it wrong.

Last edited by beaker17; 29-11-2018 at 17:14.
Old 29-11-2018, 17:28   #8
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

how long have you had this modem? there may be some confusion as what you have.
Years and years ago, I had a virgin modem, that connected to the PC (and later a router) via a cable, it had no wireless.

All the newer modem/routers they supply are wireless.

so maybe you have one of the old style ones, and the operator didn't realise that, or you have a newer one, but that would be connected via Ethernet rather than usb.

it's probably easiest to post a photo, or model number, and then we'll know for sure.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 18:03   #9
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
how long have you had this modem? there may be some confusion as what you have.
Years and years ago, I had a virgin modem, that connected to the PC (and later a router) via a cable, it had no wireless.

All the newer modem/routers they supply are wireless.

so maybe you have one of the old style ones, and the operator didn't realise that, or you have a newer one, but that would be connected via Ethernet rather than usb.

it's probably easiest to post a photo, or model number, and then we'll know for sure.
Your points are very valid, I have had my modem for years, you could be right.
If I find that my modem is NOT a wireless enabled one, I will demand a new modern modem that is.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Here is my modem -
Old 29-11-2018, 18:24   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Looks like my SH1. It can be a modem or a wireless router / modem combo.

It has "modem mode" where the router and wireless is inactive and allows you to use your own kit which is what I do.
Old 29-11-2018, 18:50   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Virgin told me that my modem is wireless enabled and can be used in harmony with other WiFi equipment. That is good enough for me and I will not enter into an argument about terminology.

Perhaps it is a modem, a router or a modem/router - I could not care less.
If Virgin told me my "modem" is a WiFi enabled device, then it is and that is all I care about, not its correct name. I will have to accept Virgin's information until I prove it wrong.
You're terribly rude when someone is trying to help.

You have a Superhub 1 which is a modem/router which has wifi when in router mode and it is connected via ethernet not USB, you said you had a modem and Virgin did supply modem only equipment donkeys years ago which did not have wifi so pips response was perfectly valid.

You also dont need a power supply as obviously it already has one.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 29-11-2018 at 19:16.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 19:25   #12
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

@SnoopZ

"You have a Superhub 1 which is a modem/router which has wifi when in router mode and it is connected via ethernet "
So I do have Wifi. The power supply I mentioned was for my new PC not the modem. The new PC will not have a modem, it will operate on Wifi.

Going through cmd.exe and ipconfig, the panel says -

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4

Is that OK for Wifi ?
How do I tell what mode my modem/router is in ?

Last edited by beaker17; 29-11-2018 at 19:41.
Old 29-11-2018, 19:58   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If your new computer is a desktop pc then it is unlikely to be wifi enabled and you would need some kind of a wifi adaptor to connect to the internet.

If your new computer is a Laptop then it will have built in wifi.
Old 29-11-2018, 20:06   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
@SnoopZ

"You have a Superhub 1 which is a modem/router which has wifi when in router mode and it is connected via ethernet "
So I do have Wifi. The power supply I mentioned was for my new PC not the modem. The new PC will not have a modem, it will operate on Wifi.

Going through cmd.exe and ipconfig, the panel says -

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4 Wired connection

Is that OK for Wifi ?No, that is what you connect a wire to. I would use the correct terminology but it appears to be lost on you. Ho hum.
How do I tell what mode my modem/router is in ?
Old 29-11-2018, 20:19   #15
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

@SnoopZ

HP 21.5 Inch Celeron 4GB 2TB All-in-One Desktop PC.
ABOUT THIS PRODUCT -

Interfaces and connectivity:-
3-in-1 media card reader.
2 x USB 2.0 ports.
2 x USB 3.0 ports.
Ethernet port.
1 HDMI port.
Bluetooth.
Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled. <==== How about this then ?

All the selection shown are wireless enabled. It seems to be the norm.

Last edited by beaker17; 29-11-2018 at 21:21.