Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 02-12-2016, 14:53   #1786
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
My Virgin lady (ooer) did say that due to me being on top BB and top TV I would benefit most from it so qualified/or fitted the criteria to receive a free box.

To be honest I never asked to try and get 2 however she had on record I had a V+ and 1 1TB TiVo and said we would like to take the V+ out and move your TiVo in it's place.
It was then up to me to sort out the connectivity if I wanted to MRS.

She did ask if my SH was in the same place as my TiVo and it is not so she said they may want to move it.
I said I didn't want that as it is connected to my PC via wire and wanted to keep it like that.
She said ok well the engineer would look at this when he arrived and would not change any setup unless I was completely satisfied.

She did mention the £5 charge would go on but they knew it was a bug and would be removed over night and keep the current costs completely the same.

My current contract does not expire until May and she kept saying I am not signing you up to any new contract or anything like that.
My TV is in the living room and router in my home office two floors up.

The engineer initially said that he couldn't install it as it wouldn't work. I said that I believed that Powerline would be supplied Free of charge, which he knew nothing about.

When I pointed out that it had WiFi he agreed to install it, but said that Powerlines would still be better.

It's interesting that you were told that your router would be moved; I'll ask about this.

This may be better if there is no charge.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2016, 14:56   #1787
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Yeah pocket-link is a especially good read. Out of everything, I bet sky are most annoyed about the v6 supporting HDR. HDR is the big thing in the tv world right now, most say it will more successful than 4K alone.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:03   #1788
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Yeah pocket-link is a especially good read. Out of everything, I bet sky are most annoyed about the v6 supporting HDR. HDR is the big thing in the tv world right now, most say it will more successful than 4K alone.
You expect Sky Q to not support HDR ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:08   #1789
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm sure Sky will add this as an update.

HDR picture on Amazon is really good...everything looks fantastic
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:13   #1790
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Of course they will, most people don't sit close enough to the TV to benefit from 4K, even those with really good 4k sets, but HDR is something that everyone with a capable TV notices no matter its size or how far away they sit. Plus it doesn't have anywhere near as much bandwidth requirements.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:18   #1791
mot12
cf.addict

mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Did I say that. There boxes do not currently support it is the point.

You expect it to be coming soon then. ?
Old 02-12-2016, 15:22   #1792
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Did I say that. There boxes do not currently support it is the point.

You expect it to be coming soon then. ?
According to the info posted the V6 doesn't support HDR from launch , a firmware update is needed so the same as Sky Q.

How would they support it considering the broadcast standard has only just been decided.
Old 02-12-2016, 15:23   #1793
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

That bit of the article was missing a bit of fact checking. The HDMI on Sky Q is currently 2.0 - has to be to support 4K/50Hz - it was upgraded when Ultra HD was launched. A further firmware upgrade would be needed to add HDR, but it should be possible. Back in April Sky said:

Quote:
“We’re definitely looking at it and experimenting with [HDR], but there’s really no TVs commercially available, to speak of that can even support this right now and in fact the HDR spec for Blu-ray is finalised, but there really isn’t a finalised specification for HDR in live [TV].

“I would say I’m cautiously hopeful that the standards bodies will end up at a place where we’re able to support that, but I’m also very wary about predicting what standards will be before they’re done... There are physical limits to what the chips can do if someone wants to do some radical, crazy thing.”
(https://recombu.com/digital/article/...k-ultra-hd-hdr)

The problem is there is no standard for HDR on Live TV at the moment. That may come next year. It will probably be "Hybrid Log Gamma" but neither Virgin or Sky or any TV currently out there can guarantee they can support an undefined standard. That wouldn't stop Sky supporting HDR10 for On Demand. Hopefully that will come soon. Right now, of course Virgin does not have any 4k On Demand other than through apps that 4K TV owners already have available, so it's all a little moot at this point!
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:24   #1794
mot12
cf.addict

Quote:
According to the info posted the V6 doesn't support HDR from launch , a firmware update is needed so the same as Sky Q.
Correct. But read about HDMI specification's, the article claims that the skyq only has 1.4 specification. It needs 2.0 for HDR capability.
Old 02-12-2016, 15:27   #1795
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Correct. But read about HDMI specification's, the article claims that the skyq only has 1.4 specification. It needs 2.0 for HDR capability.
If it was only 1.4 it wouldn't be outputting UHD at 50fps like it currently is.
Old 02-12-2016, 15:28   #1796
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
See my post that overlapped yours.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:47   #1797
mot12
cf.addict

Quote:
If it was only 1.4 it wouldn't be outputting UHD at 50fps like it currently is.
Good point. 2.0 is needed for 50fps and 60fps.

I don't have sky though, so when it comes to sky I only know what articles say. I only read about sky, when they are talked about in articles. That also talk about Virgin.

These websites need to find tech guys who check there facts first. They get paid for it after all. Crazy.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Kinda weird how these tech websites specifically mention v6 supporting HDR with an update. But don't say the same for sky.

I guess, it's probably because sky haven't "officially" mentioned it.
Old 02-12-2016, 16:18   #1798
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Why mention it when at launch of Q the broadcast standard for HDR wasn't finalised.

At the moment if you want HDR and your TV supports it you've a choice of either Netflix or Amazon and even then only certain titles.

Sky have been playing around with HDR for a while so I'd be amazed if we didn't see it arrive at some stage.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...dynamic-range/
Old 02-12-2016, 16:39   #1799
mot12
cf.addict

Quote:
Why mention it when at launch of Q the broadcast standard for HDR wasn't finalised.

At the moment if you want HDR and your TV supports it you've a choice of either Netflix or Amazon and even then only certain titles.

Sky have been playing around with HDR for a while so I'd be amazed if we didn't see it arrive at some stage.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...dynamic-range/
Yes, but you'd have thought these tech websites, someone would of mentioned it by "now". That sky also could add HDR with an update, apparently.

But hey, maybe it's just those websites, not so great with being correct with all facts.
Old 02-12-2016, 16:42   #1800
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

The tech websites new less about the V6 than this forum says it all really.