Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2020, 09:13   #1381
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think by 2062 they will develop technology where they just beam television straight into a chip that beams television directly into your brain so you can watch it with your eyes closed. I’ve no scientific evidence for this, and have no idea about potential customer demand for this, but I’m going to say it’s bigger and better than relying on devices that become obsolete.

For those of us around at the next passing of Halley’s Comet we can wait and see. Between now and then I insist I remain unchallenged on this point - because it’s an obviously better technology in my opinion I insist that everyone will want it when it comes.
You may not be aware, jfman, that on demand technology already exists.
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2020, 01:15   #1382
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Linear TV on the rise as Pluto* reaches a hefty 101 channels. The service was launched only 18 months ago with just 13 channels.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...0-uk-channels/

* Coming soon? https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/td-p/4240602
Old 11-06-2020, 01:37   #1383
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Linear TV on the rise as Pluto* reaches a hefty 101 channels. The service was launched only 18 months ago with just 13 channels.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...0-uk-channels/

* Coming soon? https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/td-p/4240602
According to post #9 in the thread it already exists.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:42   #1384
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
According to post #9 in the thread it already exists
According to Post #10 in the thread, it has yet to arrive.
Quote:
It's not only All4 yet to come, they've said that the Pluto TV app is coming too, not just the limited bits included within the My5 app.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:19   #1385
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
According to Post #10 in the thread, it has yet to arrive.
Fair enough, not that it affects me.
Old 11-06-2020, 14:26   #1386
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

I think it's interesting is that the future of linear TV includes apps like Pluto and is actually leading to an uplift in channels.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 11-06-2020 at 14:31.
Old 11-06-2020, 16:25   #1387
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think it's interesting is that the future of linear TV includes apps like Pluto and is actually leading to an uplift in channels.
For example, NBCU’s Peacock service will have live streaming channels based around things like SNL and The Office so there is still some value given these linear channels provide some much needed curation when on demand can prove to be overwhelming - there is value in a ‘lean back’ experience and allow shows to just be fed to you and allow you to jump into an on demand experience directly from the episode or clip (which we already are seeing with things like BBC Restart on IPlayer)

Also I think linear channels will likely evolve into some form of personalisation/bespoke channel allowing your preferences to be fed to you in a linear fashion - I’m sure there is some innovation in linear tv yet to come.

Another example from Sky Italia who are going to trial a personalised tv experience - channels are mentioned so that could conceivably also mean some kind of linear experience;

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...rsonalised-tv/
Old 17-06-2020, 11:39   #1388
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
For example, NBCU’s Peacock service will have live streaming channels based around things like SNL and The Office so there is still some value given these linear channels provide some much needed curation when on demand can prove to be overwhelming - there is value in a ‘lean back’ experience and allow shows to just be fed to you and allow you to jump into an on demand experience directly from the episode or clip (which we already are seeing with things like BBC Restart on IPlayer)

Also I think linear channels will likely evolve into some form of personalisation/bespoke channel allowing your preferences to be fed to you in a linear fashion - I’m sure there is some innovation in linear tv yet to come.

Another example from Sky Italia who are going to trial a personalised tv experience - channels are mentioned so that could conceivably also mean some kind of linear experience;

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...rsonalised-tv/
I agree and have long said the same, which I call true smart tv or intelligent tv.

In some ways, we've already had little tasters of things to come, ie on some BBC One dramas, you could press the red button to watch the next episode taking you outside of the linear schedule and I think there will be a lot more of that to come.

Which is why I keep saying that I reckon that the bulk of the sat/cable pay tv channels will disappear in the end, as these are mainly showing repeats from the main channels. Once there is a true intelligent tv system, there simply isn't a need for all these linear channels. Don't be surprised to see a Netflix 1 and Netflix 2 in the near future as earlier examples of what's to come.

Nobody wants to wade through endless menus, but we also want "some" control of what we watch and how we spend our time, hence the on demand and linear worlds will come together.

Last edited by Horizon; 17-06-2020 at 11:42.
Old 17-06-2020, 12:14   #1389
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I agree and have long said the same, which I call true smart tv or intelligent tv.

In some ways, we've already had little tasters of things to come, ie on some BBC One dramas, you could press the red button to watch the next episode taking you outside of the linear schedule and I think there will be a lot more of that to come.

Which is why I keep saying that I reckon that the bulk of the sat/cable pay tv channels will disappear in the end, as these are mainly showing repeats from the main channels. Once there is a true intelligent tv system, there simply isn't a need for all these linear channels. Don't be surprised to see a Netflix 1 and Netflix 2 in the near future as earlier examples of what's to come.

Nobody wants to wade through endless menus, but we also want "some" control of what we watch and how we spend our time, hence the on demand and linear worlds will come together.
Use Favourites - I reduce 'endless menus' to around 25 channels, easy to find anything I am likely to watch.

Better than wading through endless streamed programmes to find something I would want to watch.

Also, I pay enough for tv without subscribing to streaming, which I would rarely use.
Old 17-06-2020, 12:51   #1390
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

This is the thing - linear is not dead and it’s going to evolve - hell some people could also argue that Netflix autostarting a new recommendation after finishing a show/movie is no different from a linear channel feeding a new show.

And this idea that on-demand is the future? It’s already happening - we don’t need to wait till 2035

The real question is how are all these disparate things going to evolve especially as we see the legacy companies move into D2C, pay tv evolve into almost ‘mini bundles’ like HBO Max, companies like Pluto build growth via linear AVOD channels and how tv and film creation is financed as companies like Disney and NBCU/Sky become increasingly balkanised. This notion that it has to be all or nothing is ridiculous. Linear may no longer be the central focus but it has its place in the ecosystem, will likely evolve into more algorithmic/personalisation areas and find a way to serve on demand and vice versa.
Old 25-06-2020, 16:36   #1391
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Amazon is developing plans to add live and linear channels to Prime Video. The slate includes live news, music and sports in addition to scheduled movies and TV series.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...eid=3598503789

Quote:
The plans emerged in the US tech publication Protocol that discovered a series of job listings for posts covering the new channels.
Quote:
In its job listing Amazon admits that despite the move towards on demand, there is still interest in linear: “Although video on demand is on the rise, the global viewing hours weighs in favor of live or scheduled TV.”
Old 25-06-2020, 17:37   #1392
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Amazon is developing plans to add live and linear channels to Prime Video. The slate includes live news, music and sports in addition to scheduled movies and TV series.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...eid=3598503789
That's interesting, a successful streaming company acknowledging the need for linear TV. A bit like Pluto, but with newer content.
Old 22-08-2020, 18:36   #1393
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The BBC expects its news bulletins to be shifted to VOD within 10 years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-goes-digital/

The BBC’s News at Six and News at 10 bulletins will soon be obsolete as coverage moves online, the corporation’s head of news has said.

Within a decade, news will be in “the digital space” and the BBC’s output will be consumed via iPlayer, said Fran Unsworth.
Old 22-08-2020, 18:44   #1394
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That’s quite a different issue to delivery of entertainment content. I stopped watching tv news bulletins years ago, because they tell me nothing I’ve not seen developing on the news websites throughout the day. Note they’re not suggesting the demise of all current affairs from broadcast schedules, just the two half hour bulletins that summarise what we already know and lack the time for any serious analysis. The weekly politics shows and analysis/documentary productions like panorama, newsnight and their ilk are going nowhere.

Also bear in mind that provision of these news bulletins is mandated by the BBC’s charter, which will come up for renewal in 2027, meaning we are fast approaching the point when horse trading over the shape of that next charter will begin in earnest. That charter, once in effect, can be expected to run until probably 2037. So what that charter says about things the BBC must broadcast in linear fashion, which technology they are permitted to use for broadcast, and what they’re allowed to switch to on-demand only, will be very important, and (I predict) will blow a rather large hole in the fantasy you’ve been pushing on these pages.

Last edited by Chris; 22-08-2020 at 18:51.
Old 22-08-2020, 20:35   #1395
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That’s quite a different issue to delivery of entertainment content. I stopped watching tv news bulletins years ago, because they tell me nothing I’ve not seen developing on the news websites throughout the day. Note they’re not suggesting the demise of all current affairs from broadcast schedules, just the two half hour bulletins that summarise what we already know and lack the time for any serious analysis. The weekly politics shows and analysis/documentary productions like panorama, newsnight and their ilk are going nowhere.

Also bear in mind that provision of these news bulletins is mandated by the BBC’s charter, which will come up for renewal in 2027, meaning we are fast approaching the point when horse trading over the shape of that next charter will begin in earnest. That charter, once in effect, can be expected to run until probably 2037. So what that charter says about things the BBC must broadcast in linear fashion, which technology they are permitted to use for broadcast, and what they’re allowed to switch to on-demand only, will be very important, and (I predict) will blow a rather large hole in the fantasy you’ve been pushing on these pages.
I was merely posting the article. I made no controversial comment on it as I am anxious not to upset the delicate sensibilities of anyone else on this forum.

Closed Thread