Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channels switched to MPEG4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Channels switched to MPEG4

Old 29-04-2019, 09:45   #31
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Channels switched to MPEG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
As all HD on VM is MPEG4 now what follows is with regards to SD versions of 1-5.

I think all the variations of BBC2 are, as are Channel 4 regions and Channel 5. I'm not certain all the regions of ITV are, and there are some BBC1 regions that aren't.
E.g. based on DBR website, which I believe is showing VM network in Manchester, Tsid 101 on DBR for North West isn't, neither is BBC1 Scotland and BBC1 Wales on Tsid 10.
Yeah, I should have said 1-5 SD.

So it looks like we might still be recording BBC1 and ITV in the less efficient format of MPEG2. As i'm running low on disc space, I'll ensure that I watch things on these channels first as it might help.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2019, 10:08   #32
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Yeah, I should have said 1-5 SD.

So it looks like we might still be recording BBC1 and ITV in the less efficient format of MPEG2. As i'm running low on disc space, I'll ensure that I watch things on these channels first as it might help.
Being in Scotland 1-3 have HD swapped, so we're using more disk space for those.
(Strictly speaking recording other areas mean we don't have to yet, but we have plenty disk space so it's not a problem.)

The speed of BBC1 and ITV regions being converted to HD is holding it up. I'm not actually sure how far off ITV are now, the BBC still has quite a few to do I understand, as they say they don't have the money to push on.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 00:37   #33
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Digital BitRate and TiVo has confirmed that ITVBe has gone MPEG4 today.

DBR says ITV AD join MPEG4 on December 7th 2018.

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

The following channels now look set to follow soon (Stream CO54)

-Paramount Network
-BT Sport Extra 0
-BT Sport Extra 2
-BT Sport Extra 3
-BT Sport Extra 4
-ITV2
-ITV4
-BT Sport Extra 5
-BT Sport Extra 6
-ITV4 +1

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ve=209&lang=en
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:14   #34
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Digital BitRate and TiVo has confirmed that ITVBe has gone MPEG4 today.

DBR says ITV AD join MPEG4 on December 7th 2018.

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

The following channels now look set to follow soon (Stream CO54)

-Paramount Network
-BT Sport Extra 0
-BT Sport Extra 2
-BT Sport Extra 3
-BT Sport Extra 4
-ITV2
-ITV4
-BT Sport Extra 5
-BT Sport Extra 6
-ITV4 +1

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ve=209&lang=en
I didn't see that this (ok it's now yesterday at time of typing) morning.

I hope your prediction is true, Tour De Yorkshire starts later today and should I choose to record it rather than watch the later ITV4 highlights show, that will, of course, reduce recording size, which is particularly good for long events like start to finish coverage of live cycling.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:30   #35
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

DBR reports ITVBe did move over sometime between 08:36 and 16:30 yesterday (May 1st)

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

Quote:
Tour De Yorkshire starts later today and should I choose to record it rather than watch the later ITV4 highlights show, that will, of course, reduce recording size, which is particularly good for long events like start to finish coverage of live cycling.
Can't you watch it on ITV4 HD - it broadcasting in MPEG4.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 02-05-2019 at 01:35.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:01   #36
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I didn't see that this (ok it's now yesterday at time of typing) morning.

I hope your prediction is true, Tour De Yorkshire starts later today and should I choose to record it rather than watch the later ITV4 highlights show, that will, of course, reduce recording size, which is particularly good for long events like start to finish coverage of live cycling.
Why not come to God's Own County and watch it in ultra ultra HD from the roadside ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:48   #37
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
DBR reports ITVBe did move over sometime between 08:36 and 16:30 yesterday (May 1st)

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

Can't you watch it on ITV4 HD - it broadcasting in MPEG4
No, I'm not on Full House. And HD in MPEG4 would take up more recording space than MPEG2 SD.

I've plenty disk space, it's not a problem.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why not come to God's Own County and watch it in ultra ultra HD from the roadside ?
I'd rather see the lovely countryside in person without the race. A-B cycle races don't benefit, like golf, from being there. There are certain sports that you can follow better on TV because of the large area covered.
Old 02-05-2019, 13:59   #38
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Anyone know the difference between recording something in SD with MPEG2 and HD in MPEG4? I suspect that the HD/MPEG4 would stiill use up more disc space, but not as much as you'd think.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 18:38   #39
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

One new Channel has been added to C069 (Still in MPEG2)

-Kids TV On Demand (Moves from CO73)

The following channel has been readded to CO68:

-Virgin TV Ultra HD
Old 09-05-2019, 15:33   #40
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Bangers (Pay Per Night) has launch today in MPEG2 using Television X 2 (Pay Per Night) old stream (Program number 1513) and EPG Channel number 976.
Old 14-05-2019, 15:44   #41
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Q: WHY DID I HAVE TO RESET MY FAVOURITES ADULT CHANNELS FOR?
A: Media Boy HQ has found (Found on May 14th) that Virgin Media UK has readded some Adult Channels to their broadcasting streams (Still in MPEG2).

They are:

971. Babes TV PPN
972. Adult PPN
976. Bangers PPN

Source of Information: TiVo.
Old 14-05-2019, 17:21   #42
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Q: WHY DID I HAVE TO RESET MY FAVOURITES ADULT CHANNELS FOR?
A: Media Boy HQ has found (Found on May 14th) that Virgin Media UK has readded some Adult Channels to their broadcasting streams (Still in MPEG2).

They are:

971. Babes TV PPN
972. Adult PPN
976. Bangers PPN

Source of Information: TiVo.
The obvious reason someone would have to reset their favourite adult channels is not being able to work the internet properly.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 17:21   #43
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Bangers (Pay Per Night) has launch today in MPEG2 using Television X 2 (Pay Per Night) old stream (Program number 1513) and EPG Channel number 976.
Why are people going to pay per night to watch programmes about clapped out cars ??
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 17:25   #44
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The obvious reason someone would have to reset their favourite favourite is not being able to work the internet properly.
We have all non HD Channels set as favourite to keep an eye on them going over to MPEG4.
Old 18-05-2019, 18:34   #45
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Over the last few days FOUR new channels has started to broadcast on C052.

One is broadcasting in UHD
Two is broadcasting in MPEG2
One is broadcasting in MPEG4

-BT Sport 4K Hidden (HEVC)
-BT Sport 4K Slate (MPEG2)*
-BT Sport HD Hidden (MPEG2)**
-BT Sport HD Hidden (MPEG4)**

*Broadcasting an Slate about BBC TWO HD moving to Channel 102.
**Broadcasting BT Sport 2 HD.

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...ng=en&mux=C052

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Also an new channel has appeared on C073

Channel is called Pure Babes HD (SID 2207) and still broadcasting in MPEG2.