Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2004, 19:37   #1441
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
they then told me that I was going to upgraded to 1.5 meg on the 28th September (today!)
[out of retirement]

I've no idea where on earth this came from but it's stone wrong - the dates are in October, exact dates subject to confirmation.

[back into retirement until the big switch is flicked]
Advertisement
Old 28-09-2004, 20:56   #1442
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice

Typical, get me all excited....
Old 30-09-2004, 13:33   #1443
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

Still no 750k upgrade for me in Teesside.
It's particularly annoying because a few months ago my BB charges went up from 19.99 to 24.99 (I used to get the cable modem owners discount) so the extra speed would be some sort of compensation.
Old 30-09-2004, 18:37   #1444
macc
Inactive

macc is an unknown quantity at this point

flubflow why did they raize your charges did you have to get a new modem
Old 01-10-2004, 07:58   #1445
nefu
cf.member

Services: XXL Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V+, XXL phone, several mobiles!
nefu is on a distinguished roadnefu is on a distinguished road
Question Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

I am in swindon (SN5) with a SACM and still at 600K, anybody else 'round here been upgraded?
Old 01-10-2004, 09:28   #1446
PC_Arcade
Inactive

PC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about themPC_Arcade has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL postcode Checker
Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of September.
and today is the 1st of October and STILL no sign of the upgrade
Old 01-10-2004, 12:38   #1447
nefu
cf.member

Services: XXL Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V+, XXL phone, several mobiles!
nefu is on a distinguished roadnefu is on a distinguished road

Just spoke to a very helpful guy (Hadrian - thank you!) in TS who took my modem off the system and put it back on again to force a config update and now I have 750K - hurray.

He also told me that all SACM users should be upgraded by now so if you're not try calling TS.
Old 01-10-2004, 15:11   #1448
Elysium
Inactive

Elysium is an unknown quantity at this point

Still no speed-upgrade here (Worsley / Manchester ) .. Have had the Samsung for two weeks or so now and presumed 1st Oct would result in the 1.5 upgrade.. When is it going to happen .. sheesh ..
Old 01-10-2004, 16:14   #1449
Flubflow
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc
flubflow why did they raize your charges did you have to get a new modem
No I still have the same Motorola surfboard SB4100 modem and the network card I bought through them years ago when they had that option.
They suddenly decided, presumably for reasons of greed, that the people who own their own cable modem no longer deserve the £5 discount. I had not made any changes to my service. They just decided that they need the £5 more than I do.

I complained, asked for my discount back, and got this unhelpful reply.....

"Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that as per the communication back in May NTL have withdrawn
the discount for owned modems. NTL service and maintain all modems wether
owned or rented and as such will now be charged the same.

Please accept my apologies if the information was not received, and for any
inconvenience this may have caused.

Should you require any further information regarding your account or wish to
discuss this further, please contact us on customersupport.teesside or call
our Customer Management Centre on 0800 052 2000 from your ntl telephone.

Yours Sincerely

CMC Administration and Support (ntl C.O.B.I)"

So, I asked them that if that was the case and I was now paying the same as everyone else then, like everyone else, I demand that I have a brand spanking new cable modem and I'll sell mine (not that there would be much market for it).
I got no reply so, to cost them some money and save me some, I called them to stop some telephone line featues.
I think they suck and if after I get no further when I eventually manage to get to someone higher up in NTL then the cable TV is going next year too.
I might send them a monthly bill for the "hire of my cable modem".

EDIT: Still no 750k speed upgrade yet either.
Old 01-10-2004, 17:50   #1450
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubflow
<snip>
I understand where you are coming from, hence: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/19/wh...rge-of-ntlhome

however just to play devil's advocate... if something goes wrong with your cable modem would you be prepared to pay ntl £50 to send an engineer out to replace it? (which would result in you having an ntl rented modem anyway because you won't be able to provision any other modems on the ntl network and therefore not being justified in paying less than everyone else anyway)
Old 01-10-2004, 17:55   #1451
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
Still no speed-upgrade here (Worsley / Manchester ) .. Have had the Samsung for two weeks or so now and presumed 1st Oct would result in the 1.5 upgrade.. When is it going to happen .. sheesh ..
BBKing posted about this elsewhere...set top box upgrades are still not done yet as there is still stuff to be done.
Old 01-10-2004, 18:07   #1452
macc
Inactive

macc is an unknown quantity at this point

flubflow they tried the same thing with me about a year ago and i protested i told them that i had bought the modem through them and that they could not bill me twice for the same modem and as my modem that i bought through them still works ok i have no reqiurment for them to change it.
Old 01-10-2004, 18:28   #1453
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubflow
No I still have the same Motorola surfboard SB4100 modem and the network card I bought through them years ago when they had that option.
They suddenly decided, presumably for reasons of greed, that the people who own their own cable modem no longer deserve the £5 discount. I had not made any changes to my service. They just decided that they need the £5 more than I do.

I complained, asked for my discount back, and got this unhelpful reply.....

"Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that as per the communication back in May NTL have withdrawn
the discount for owned modems. NTL service and maintain all modems wether
owned or rented and as such will now be charged the same.

Please accept my apologies if the information was not received, and for any
inconvenience this may have caused.

Should you require any further information regarding your account or wish to
discuss this further, please contact us on customersupport.teesside or call
our Customer Management Centre on 0800 052 2000 from your ntl telephone.

Yours Sincerely

CMC Administration and Support (ntl C.O.B.I)"

So, I asked them that if that was the case and I was now paying the same as everyone else then, like everyone else, I demand that I have a brand spanking new cable modem and I'll sell mine (not that there would be much market for it).
I got no reply so, to cost them some money and save me some, I called them to stop some telephone line featues.
I think they suck and if after I get no further when I eventually manage to get to someone higher up in NTL then the cable TV is going next year too.
I might send them a monthly bill for the "hire of my cable modem".

EDIT: Still no 750k speed upgrade yet either.
Phone up CS and politely remind them that they are offering new customers free telco line rental for the next year and as a goodwill gesture they could do well to do the same to you as they have stopped the owned modem discount, maybe, just maybe, you might find yourself better off.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:02   #1454
Flubflow
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Phone up CS and politely remind them that they are offering new customers free telco line rental for the next year and as a goodwill gesture they could do well to do the same to you as they have stopped the owned modem discount, maybe, just maybe, you might find yourself better off.
Yeah, I kinda feel like I'm paying for all these free deals that they are now offering to new customers.
Old 02-10-2004, 22:03   #1455
Wilty
Inactive

Wilty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... Looks like I'm late to these discussions, but anyone in Brighton experienced any upgrade in their speed yet?

Here's what I got from the speed test just now:

Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:45:01 UTC
1st 128K took 1061 ms = 123536 Bytes/sec = approx 1028 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1042 ms = 125789 Bytes/sec = approx 1047 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1082 ms = 121139 Bytes/sec = approx 1008 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1061 ms = 123536 Bytes/sec = approx 1028 kbits/sec

Looks like I'm still on the 1Mb

Then again, I'm still a bit hacked off in general - we're not even close to MMB (Multi-Mega Bit) yet. Anyone checked out the speeds in Sweden? Telia - 8Mb , Bostream 26Mb (for about £30/month!) and Bredbandsbolaget doing 100Mb (for around £38/month!!!) . Got links if anyone's interested...

Cheers,

Wilty
Closed Thread