Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-07-2004, 18:58   #196
Electrolyte01

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Just tested mine, only 10k faster than it usually is (must have been from NTL upgrading the lines) but still the same speed at the moment. I'm gonna keep checking it each day, because I usually get disconnected of certains things, some times everything. When that happens, I'l test it

Advertisement
Old 28-07-2004, 18:58   #197
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

It's taking me about 10 attempts to get into (authorize, not download) one of my email accounts, i can hardly ever get newsgroups working, and i'm subject to the same cap (on my 1mb line) as someone on 150k (soon to be 300k). Not a lot to scream about there. Just means I'll exceed my limit in around 2 hours when i get the upgrade, compared to the 12 hours maximum use someone on the lower teir will get.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:00   #198
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
It's taking me about 10 attempts to get into (authorize, not download) one of my email accounts, i can hardly ever get newsgroups working, and i'm subject to the same cap (on my 1mb line) as someone on 150k (soon to be 300k). Not a lot to scream about there. Just means I'll exceed my limit in around 2 hours when i get the upgrade, compared to the 12 hours maximum use someone on the lower teir will get.

nowt new there then , how about you vote with your wallet if you are not happy
Old 28-07-2004, 19:01   #199
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte
Well what would you rather have? 1GB bandwidth per day or 1gb per month? (which BT offer, Wanadoo offer 2gb bandwidth, which is NO WHERE NEAR as good as NTL's 1gb per day)

I'm sticking with NTL until I can afford to move to BullDog.
BT offers a 30GB a month limit on their BB. AOL have NO limit at all. The only thing that stops me at the moment is in my area i can only get 512k with BT. But i'm using my connection as much as i normally do, and if i ever get a letter i'm closing my account and moving to AOL, i'd rather have 24 hours a day at 512k than 2 hours a day at 1.5mb.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:07   #200
Electrolyte01

Quote:
BT offers a 30GB a month limit on their BB.
I think your wrong there, my friend told me it's 1GB and he's on BT, I also saw it on the website as 1GB.

Old 28-07-2004, 19:07   #201
Bill C

Quote:
BT offers a 30GB a month limit on their BB. AOL have NO limit at all. The only thing that stops me at the moment is in my area i can only get 512k with BT. But i'm using my connection as much as i normally do, and if i ever get a letter i'm closing my account and moving to AOL, i'd rather have 24 hours a day at 512k than 2 hours a day at 1.5mb.
Think you will find most ISP's will be capped in some form soon. Might be wrong might be right

Old 28-07-2004, 19:07   #202
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I'd love to try AOL's great-sounding unmetered product, but not at the expense of having their software on my PC.

Why will they not make it optional? There are many 'experienced' users who would happily try their product if it could be sold with an option to be 'product only' and not have the software.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:13   #203
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
I'd love to try AOL's great-sounding unmetered product, but not at the expense of having their software on my PC.

Why will they not make it optional? There are many 'experienced' users who would happily try their product if it could be sold with an option to be 'product only' and not have the software.
Well that was one of my concerns, but a friend of mine who is with AOL, says you can just get rid of the software and put in your own settings, like with any other ISP. I've not seen it or tried it myself. Having to use the AOL software would really put me off, i've never been a fan of bundled software.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:15   #204
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Quote:
I think your wrong there, my friend told me it's 1GB and he's on BT, I also saw it on the website as 1GB.
That's the budget version. They offer a normal broadband service with 30GB a month. Which is cheaper than NTL.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:17   #205
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B

you and me both , but as aol = devil spawn then no thankyou
Old 28-07-2004, 19:17   #206
Electrolyte01

Yes but ADSL isn't as good as Cable I don't think

I remember when they said broadband was "always on" internet connection, I think with all these bandwidth limits they don't say that any more. Well some ISP's do, such as BullDog and Satelite ISP's, that why I'm going with satelite when I get the money.

Old 28-07-2004, 19:19   #207
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp
Old 28-07-2004, 19:23   #208
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yes but ADSL isn't as good as Cable I don't think

I remember when they said broadband was "always on" internet connection, I think with all these bandwidth limits they don't say that any more. Well some ISP's do, such as BullDog and Satelite ISP's, that why I'm going with satelite when I get the money.
ntl do. It is 'always on' because it's never off!

Always on has no bearing on the amount you download. It's not like the old dialup restrictions some firms had, about how many hours a month you could be connected. I still laugh nostalgically when I think about that!
Old 28-07-2004, 19:28   #209
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

It's the same principle though. On 1.5mb you will be allowed under 2 hours of full useage per day. It's a bit like getting your shopping for cheaper if you get the same amount of items, but do it slower. And if you rush, you get charged extra.
Old 28-07-2004, 19:33   #210
Electrolyte01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
15GB per month still doesn't beat NTL's

Closed Thread