Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phantom Planters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Phantom Planters

Old 02-02-2023, 09:15   #1
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Phantom Planters

There is a group of people who go under the name of phantom planters who will actively encourage everyone to go out and plant a tree.

It could be a small oak tree from an acorn, fruit trees, some flowers, etc.

They are known as "Phantom planters" as they do it when no one else is around. So trees appear as if by magic.
Maybe one day you may find a lovely set of daffodils have been planted too.

In this day where so much countryside and open space is being built on and taken away I think it is a wonderful idea.

Some of the great benefits of planting a tree:

- It helps you to survive! Takes away carbon and produces oxygen!

- Prevents floods and shifting ground as the roots help to hold soil together and absorb rain water.

- Fruit trees will give good crops. In these times when every penny counts we should encourage growing our own foods.

- Trees provide nesting and homes for many types of wildlife as well as food sources.

Now technically I must point out you would have to contact your local council for permission in planting on public land however this can take a lot of time and due to many silly laws will probably never give you the goahead.

Just be sensible about it..... Such as making sure that any fruit from trees doesn't fall near a footpath, don't plant in front of peoples homes, or avoiding planting near power lines, etc.

I have already planted two apple trees around where I live.
I will regularly go and maintain them too.

So, I encourage you all to go and plant a tree.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2023, 09:30   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Phantom Planters

I've got a few sapling trees grown on from sprouting conkers/acorns. Will be relocating them to the wild at some point. Need to think carefully where, no point putting where there isn't space or the developers might move in.
(Squirrels are the best 'planters', contrary to popular belief they rarely remember where all their nuts are buried !)
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:40   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Also be careful you’re not importing invasive alien species into a habitat, especially if you’re in a national park or other conservation area.

You can get these great little things called seed bombs, which look like hand grenades and contain wildflower seeds. Great for anywhere urban or suburban that isn’t going to get cultivated or mown too often. But if you’re in a national park even common wildflowers are illegal to sow if they’re not part of the local natural habitat.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:57   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Good points there Chris.

I suggest looking at old local photos if possible as I was able to see some amazing wild orchards nearby that of course got bulldozed when houses were built.
It's good to try and add a bit of nature back to the concrete.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:07   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There are cupressus x leylandii (the suburban hedge nightmare) growing in the forest in the part of the Loch Lomond national park where I used to live. Goodness only knows how they got there - either seeds consumed and dumped by birds or in the boot treads of day trippers I guess.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 13:28   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A large raised roundabout near us was planted with several saplings. All have been snapped-off at the base.

I grew a Bird Cherry (Prunus padus) from seed and after a few years planted it amongst smaller shrubs outside our home on a public piece of land. 2 year later it, and all the shrubs were removed after a resident said that "someone was lurking in the bushes", spying on her.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 15:47   #7
Halcyon
Hello !

Such a shame when people snap these trees in half. They don't realise how many years it has taken for these trees to grow.

Sad that your tree got removed.
I've just put another apple and plum tree in today.

Old 07-02-2023, 17:44   #8
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

I would dearly love a secret planter near me, a apple/fruit tree in our back garden would be tremously appreciated not only by ourselves but the many wild birds who daily come to give us so much pleasure to watch.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote