Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

Old 31-07-2007, 16:57   #1
Michal
Inactive

Michal is an unknown quantity at this point
problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to set up a wireless network for my cable broadband connection, with a Sweex LW055 wireless router.
I've managed to create the wireless connection and connect to it, but once I log on to 192.168.55.1 to access the router, it's not able to find the WAN IP address. I'm using DHCP connection, and my browser is set to get the IP address automatically. I've tried disconnecting the modem and the router a couple of times but it didn't help.
I've also seen some advice in earlier threads on how to solve this problem with earlier models of Sweex, for example by enabling Wireless Bridging, but couldn't find where to implement that on my model.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michal
Michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2007, 19:28   #2
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era
Re: problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

Hi Michal

I don't think that wireless bridging is what you need to be doing. Correct me if I'm wrong: with your PC you can connect to your Sweet wireless router - you can see the router's configuration pages via your web browser (Internet Explorer probably), but you cannot see anything on the internet. This means that the wireless part of your network is functioning properly and that DHCP is also working over your wireless network i.e. your router is allocating an IP address to your PC.

So this leaves the connection between your cable modem and your router. Forgive me for going back to basics but check that the cable from the modem is plugged into the WAN port on your router. If that is all ok then check the WAN Setup on your router config page: it should be set to "Dynamic IP User". This allows the router to get an IP address from your cable modem. Once this is all set correctly try powering-off and on JUST the cable modem.

Good luck!
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02   #3
Michal
Inactive

Hi,

Thanks so much for replying.

I did what you suggested and the router managed to find a WAN IP address for about a second, then the status page showed o.o.o.o again for the WAN IP address, and it never found it again.

Could it be something to do with my computer's IP address? When I looked it up it was 62.31.47.241, whereas the router's default IP address is 192.168.55.1.

Thank you for trying to help!
Old 01-08-2007, 13:04   #4
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Odd...so is the WAN light on the router lit? Does it work if you use a cabled connection to the router and if you connect your PC directly into the modem? (For the latter you will need to have your PC on and connected to the modem and then power the modem off and on again)
Old 01-08-2007, 13:28   #5
Michal
Inactive

It works if I have my computer connected to the modem directly - that's how I'm able to post this reply now.

When I connect the modem to the router the WAN light does go on. I then connect my computer to one of the PC connections on the router. I am then able to connect to my wireless network connection, but when typing the router's IP address in Internet Explorer and logging in successfully, the status page does not connect to the dynamic server and shows the WAN IP address as 0.0.0.0
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14   #6
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Hmmm....tricky! And you have power-cycled your cable modem each time you reconnect the router? Of course you have but I had to check. Maybe someone else on the forum who actually has one of these might be more help at this point. Alternatively I could give you some pointers to setting up a Linux box as a router/firewall/wi-fi access point but I expect you don't really want to go down that route!

Actually...one thought - does the router need a crossover cable to connect to the modem? It's a long-shot as most kit these days is auto-sensing and will cope with either. Help!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:22   #7
Michal
Inactive

What is a crossover cable? I've been using the cable given to me with the modem, instead of connecting it to my computer I connect it to the WAN slot on the router. Do you think I might need a different cable?

I think this is quite a new model, since I haven't found any users' comments on it on the web.

I really appreciate your perseverance in trying to help - it's all very frustrating.
Old 02-08-2007, 15:05   #8
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

A crossover cable appears physically the same as a regular RJ45 ethernet cable (the one that came with your modem to connect to the computer) but it is wired slightly differently and is sometimes coloured to indicate that it is a crossover. A crossover cable is usually used for connecting network devices together e.g. in this case your modem and router as opposed to your modem and PC. If you know a geek where you work they could give you one to try but as I said it's a bit of a long-shot.
Old 02-08-2007, 18:28   #9
Michal
Inactive

I see... I work from home so I'm the only geek around, I'm afraid!

But I've just been to the shop where I bought the router, they promised that if I bring my laptop by tomorrow they will check the router for me on the shop's wireless, and if it works there they'll try to figure out what I need to do at home. I'll post again if and when I know more.

For now, thanks for all the help!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:36   #10
allenkj
Inactive

allenkj is an unknown quantity at this point

Michal, do you have any more info about this yet? My daughter bought the same equipment and I'm having the same problems installing it.
allenkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44   #11
Michal
Inactive

No luck yet.
I've looked everywhere on the net and on the Virgin Media website, and there was no help. I might try to call their pc help line, though they charge £1 per minute...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59   #12
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

https://www.sweex.com/documents/LW90...manual_eng.pdf

presume you've got this, and set the ISP settings as per 'Setting 1', 'DHCP without Host Name'?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:01   #13
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
No luck yet.
I've looked everywhere on the net and on the Virgin Media website, and there was no help. I might try to call their pc help line, though they charge £1 per minute...
Noooooo.....!!! I think it's *extremely* unlikely that VM's PC helpline will be able to fix this. Did you take your router and laptop to the shop? That sounded like a very good idea: even if they intend to charge you they can't do so unless they fix the problem.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:03   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal View Post
It works if I have my computer connected to the modem directly - that's how I'm able to post this reply now.

When I connect the modem to the router the WAN light does go on. I then connect my computer to one of the PC connections on the router. I am then able to connect to my wireless network connection, but when typing the router's IP address in Internet Explorer and logging in successfully, the status page does not connect to the dynamic server and shows the WAN IP address as 0.0.0.0
You're not connecting your PC to the router through a wired connection at the same time as trying to connect wirelessly are you?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 11:51   #15
Michal
Inactive

The shop idea didn't quite work out - they checked the router on their system to verify it wasn't faulty. They wouldn't check my laptop, though, saying an engineer would have to come to my flat and that would cost me £40.

As for the other question - I am connected to the router by wire when I ask it to find the dynamic IP address - that's what the manual says I should be doing when setting up the wireless network.