Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 29-08-2018, 10:32   #4501
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

As we have discussed previously can we really be surprised at poor live streaming? Streaming Companies still have an awful lot of work to bring their services up to the standard of broadcast TV.

Last edited by alwaysabear; 29-08-2018 at 10:35.
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2018, 10:38   #4502
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So all those people complaining about poor picture quality have poor broadband I seriously doubt that.

I certainly don't have poor broadband and noticed poor picture quality on several devices.
Our broadband is generally of a decent quality but the PQ was not.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
As we have discussed previously can we really be surprised at poor live streaming? Streaming Companies still have an awful lot of work to bring their services up to the standard of broadcast TV.
If ever it is up to the standard of broadcast TV.
Old 29-08-2018, 10:57   #4503
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Our broadband is generally of a decent quality but the PQ was not.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

If ever it is up to the standard of broadcast TV.
I was referring particularly to live streaming. I have Netflix and Amazon and generally they run fine for recorded programming.
For me its about the capacity to stream live content that these Companies don't seem prepared to pay for.

Last edited by alwaysabear; 29-08-2018 at 11:03.
Old 29-08-2018, 11:10   #4504
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched it yesterday and thought the picture was just fine
Old 29-08-2018, 11:15   #4505
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I was referring particularly to live streaming. I have Netflix and Amazon and generally they run fine for recorded programming.
For me its about the capacity to stream live content that these Companies don't seem prepared to pay for.
That is what l am referring to as well although l should have made myself clearer..
Old 29-08-2018, 11:23   #4506
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
I watched it yesterday and thought the picture was just fine
Many have said there was a slight improvement on yesterday's coverage , it's more a frame rate issue and picture issues with fast action.
Old 29-08-2018, 12:01   #4507
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I have 360Mpbs here using same kit.

It is not the definition being discussed - but the wrong frame rate for sports mainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I have to say that I watched Andy and the picture was perfect. Prime Video app on Panasonic 4K TV with 5GHz WiFi.
Anyone with poor picture quality is likely a broadband issue, not a ‘broadcast’ issue.
Only issue I had was the camera position which was very high up on Louis Armstrong court.
We’ll see if this is improved on Arthur Ashe court today.
Old 29-08-2018, 12:30   #4508
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Have you ever seen MLBTV ? There service is pretty good it's done by Bamtech who Disney have a 75% stake in.

To be clear I'm not saying better than broadcast but pretty good quality.
Old 29-08-2018, 13:06   #4509
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Have you ever seen MLBTV ? There service is pretty good it's done by Bamtech who Disney have a 75% stake in.

To be clear I'm not saying better than broadcast but pretty good quality.
Yes I have and I agree, but not regularly. NFL gamepass is great quality when it works.
Old 29-08-2018, 13:30   #4510
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I would expect that the differences people are experiencing in PQ are down to local network loading on the CDN's* rather than an individual's actual connection speed. If a particular CDN has a lot of connections all demanding high bit rates it simply cannot keep up so the bit rate falls resulting in blocky artifacts when the scene moves fast especially when panning.

*Content Delivery Node. A local server that buffers the main stream.
Old 29-08-2018, 13:33   #4511
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I would expect that the differences people are experiencing in PQ are down to local network loading on the CDN's* rather than an individual's actual connection speed. If a particular CDN has a lot of connections all demanding high bit rates it simply cannot keep up so the bit rate falls resulting in blocky artifacts when the scene moves fast especially when panning.

*Content Delivery Node. A local server that buffers the main stream.
So is this due to your broadband provider not having sufficient server capacity or the streamer Company?
Old 29-08-2018, 14:17   #4512
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I would think it's down to the ISP struggling to keep up with increasing demand.

Normally the CDN's are only handling relatively small amounts of data for each client and delays in feeding that data are relatively benign in effect. Youtube buffering for example.

Suddenly having to supply high density data streams on many connections in real time just maxes them out.

The source only has to provide a single or very limited number of streams which are then distributed within the ISPs network

Unlike cable/sat/freeview TV where there is a one-way data stream that is the same for all users. Streaming is an interractive process between CDN and client with each client having a bespoke stream.
Old 29-08-2018, 16:19   #4513
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I would think it's down to the ISP struggling to keep up with increasing demand.

Normally the CDN's are only handling relatively small amounts of data for each client and delays in feeding that data are relatively benign in effect. Youtube buffering for example.

Suddenly having to supply high density data streams on many connections in real time just maxes them out.

The source only has to provide a single or very limited number of streams which are then distributed within the ISPs network

Unlike cable/sat/freeview TV where there is a one-way data stream that is the same for all users. Streaming is an interractive process between CDN and client with each client having a bespoke stream.
Thank you.
Old 29-08-2018, 16:42   #4514
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I watched, House of Cards and really enjoyed it, I loved Nashville too
Old 29-08-2018, 20:27   #4515
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The quality is what you would expect from a dodgy internet stream - the same as the new Sky Sports EFL midweek service.

Dispite people expecting better quality like UHD - perhaps this is the future of sport?

No one is going to subscribe to a sub-standard streaming service - at least the effluent midweek on sky is free.
Closed Thread