Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2008, 21:49   #7096
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

as a side note, i looked at the OIX website and came up on this http://www.oix.com/about/introducing/OIX.html

it gives a fair idea about the level of data thats going to be collected and how it can be used to target ads, skip the animation and look on the page re channels and the next one .

scary amount of data and granularity
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2008, 22:02   #7097
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

So if I've got that correct
webwise.bt.com = www.oix.net = www.oix.net (A 88.208.250.85)

On my Windows/Linux box webwise.bt.com is resolving to 88.208.250.66/ 88.208.250.85/ 88.208.248.102 apparently a round robin DNS (and not responding to ping)

Similarly www.oix.net 88.208.250.85/ 89.145.112.31/ 89.145.112.32
Similarly www.oix.com 88.208.250.85/ 89.145.112.31/ 89.145.112.32

But...
www.webwise.bt.com is a US address (A 207.44.186.90) (and is responding to ping)

Have I got that right? (nb I'm not a BT subscriber)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

http://www.bt.com/ -> completely blank?!
Old 23-05-2008, 22:03   #7098
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

from a bt connection

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC>nslookup
Default Server: api.home
Address: 192.168.1.254

> www.oix.net
Server: api.home

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.oix.net
Addresses: 88.208.250.85, 89.145.112.31, 89.145.112.32

> www.oix.com

Name: www.oix.com
Addresses: 88.208.250.85, 89.145.112.31, 89.145.112.32

> www.webwise.bt.com

Name: www.webwise.bt.com
Address: 207.44.186.90
Old 23-05-2008, 22:15   #7099
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

So (if I've got this right) a search on www.bt.co.uk for Webwise returns one result, which takes you to a broken link on a US web server where you will be able to 'opt out'.

The confusingly similar UK site (which you can't find on a BT search) may resolve to various addresses outside the BT network, and may even resolve to a machine owned by Phorm/OIX.

At least when you are assigned your UID it won't be possible for Phorm to link it to your... oh God....

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

From www.webwise.bt.com
How do I switch BT Webwise on or off?
When BT Webwise is available in your area, simply go to www.bt.com/webwise and click 'BT Webwise Off' or 'BT Webwise On'.
However
www.bt.com/webwise
redirects to
http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/index.php (ie, the US "ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc." server)
So even when you think you're visiting a www.bt.com url, you're being sent to the states to opt in/out.
Old 23-05-2008, 22:31   #7100
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Found this text on an OWA page referred to on Beta BT forums today
https://mail.bt.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=

The warnings on the top of the page took my fancy.

LEGAL WARNING: You have accessed a computer managed by BT. You are required to have authorisation from BT before you proceed and you are strictly limited to the use set out within that authorisation.

Unauthorised access to or misuse of this system is prohibited and constitutes an offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. If you disclose any information obtained through this system without authority BT may take legal action against you.

Do not open attachments on PCs that are open to use by non BT people as copies may be left behind in TEMP areas on the PC.

You must take care when accessing commercially sensitive information in a public place and be aware of people viewing information 'over your shoulder'.

They seem to be aware of the Computer Misuse Act 1990. It's good to know that they take it so seriously. I might just borrow the wording for my own web site.
I wonder who they would get to enforce a breach of that legislation? It's so difficult nowadays to get anyone interested in computer crime. Maybe they use their local police?
Old 23-05-2008, 22:32   #7101
Dephormation
Inactive

Just for completeness, with Dephormation's cunning new logging feature you see the redirects

Request Name: http://www.bt.com/webwise
Request Name: http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/index.php
Location Change: http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/index.php
Old 23-05-2008, 22:35   #7102
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
So (if I've got this right) a search on www.bt.co.uk for Webwise returns one result, which takes you to a broken link on a US web server where you will be able to 'opt out'.

The confusingly similar UK site (which you can't find on a BT search) may resolve to various addresses outside the BT network, and may even resolve to a machine owned by Phorm/OIX.

At least when you are assigned your UID it won't be possible for Phorm to link it to your... oh God....

From www.webwise.bt.com

be good to get hold ok a couple of cookies and check them

i have a feeling that as the phorm US server will be giving out cookies it may not be quite as random as they say, i suspect if you look at the number in hex or binary and opt-in / out a few time and clearing you cookies etc you will either see a correlation to an ip address or something similar
as the bit of java noted on badphorm seems to suggest they will be able to track across all three networks / share data between them

the yahoo cookie has poscode and bt yahoo id information in it they could no doubt access that as well when setting THEIR unique id

but until next week when we start to see these cookies it is all speculation

peter
When BT Webwise is available in your area, simply go to www.bt.com/webwise and click 'BT Webwise Off' or 'BT Webwise On'.
However
www.bt.com/webwise
redirects to
http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/index.php (ie, the US "ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc." server)
So even when you think you're visiting a www.bt.com url, you're being sent to the states to opt in/out.
Old 23-05-2008, 22:36   #7103
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

From www.webwise.bt.com
However
www.bt.com/webwise
redirects to
Yes - I've been pointing that out for weeks now!

And when you go to the Contact Us page there,
http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php
they ask for your BT phone account number, as well as your email address and phone number - most of which they say is "required" - and remember this is going to a NON BT site.

You really couldn't make this up - no one would believe you.

The really good bit was when FASTHOSTS had a major server glitch a few weeks ago. And BT Webwise pages went down with it. Sort of gave the game away.

I've sent off an email to BT again to ask about this FASTHOSTS/THEPLANETCOM stuff, to try and find out which bits of the pretty Webwise diagram are where. I doubt they will want to tell me.
Old 23-05-2008, 22:48   #7104
Dephormation
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I know...

But I thought they'd told you it was all going to be on a BT network.

It looks like its still all over the shop, and even risks putting UID/IP data in the hands of the people who said they wouldn't have access to your IP because it was all within the BT network (and Phorm consider an IP is PII*). Doesn't look ready for an imminent trial. At least, not a technical trial.

And the Phorm.com domain seems to have been recently distanced from the webwise.bt.com domain (though strangely not OIX).

Yuk.

* paradoxically its not as personally identifiable as a unique User Identifier
Old 23-05-2008, 23:00   #7105
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

It's good to see they've used ThePlanet.com, over on BadPhorm ilago points out that ThePlanet Internet Services, Inc. is listed as one of the top 10 phishing site host networks. http://www.phishtank.com/stats/2008/04/
Old 23-05-2008, 23:00   #7106
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post

The really good bit was when FASTHOSTS had a major server glitch a few weeks ago. And BT Webwise pages went down with it. Sort of gave the game away.

I've sent off an email to BT again to ask about this FASTHOSTS/THEPLANETCOM stuff, to try and find out which bits of the pretty Webwise diagram are where. I doubt they will want to tell me.

As I was trying to point out before my router blocked my message (it was being redirected through a Phorm Site outward bound!)
I am at the moment using a VPN Service to avoid BT redirects!

If the "Phorm" test is performed in this way; through an OIX web site, it may be possible to not use a cookie but, there will be NO way that the IP address of the Account Holder would not be known!

The fact that the redirect is/was a "direct" connection to an unknown & uncontrolled foreign website, would give rise to a very strong case of not compliance with D.P.A Rules!
Old 23-05-2008, 23:01   #7107
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:
I know...

But I thought they'd told you it was all going to be on a BT network.

It looks like its still all over the shop, and even risks putting UID/IP data in the hands of the people who said they wouldn't have access to your IP because it was all within the BT network (and Phorm consider an IP is PII*). Doesn't look ready for an imminent trial. At least, not a technical trial.

And the Phorm.com domain seems to have been recently distanced from the webwise.bt.com domain (though strangely not OIX).

Yuk.

* paradoxically its not as personally identifiable as a unique User Identifier
hang on a mo, what about DPA, no data being processed outside the EU????

opt-in / out being done outside EU ????
Old 23-05-2008, 23:04   #7108
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
As I was trying to point out before my router blocked my message (it was being redirected through a Phorm Site outward bound!)
I am at the moment using a VPN Service to avoid BT redirects!

If the "Phorm" test is performed in this way; through an OIX web site, it may be possible to not use a cookie but, there will be NO way that the IP address of the Account Holder would not be known!

The fact that the redirect is/was a "direct" connection to an unknown & uncontrolled foreign website, would give rise to a very strong case of not compliance with D.P.A Rules!
It may just be a case of feeding out the rope gradually until we think BT have enough to strangle themselves with and hopefully, Phorm with them. It really is getting quite interesting.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue about all this technical IP stuff. So I hope some other BT customers are better clued up than me.

I've got that Dephormation addon but haven't a clue what all the logs mean. But I will gladly do whatever Pete tells me to and make logs available.
Old 23-05-2008, 23:04   #7109
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

It seems that BT is preparing to pimp, which begs a question. (Quite a few in fact)

Are any BT users prepared to opt in and out in order to help the tech bods with a technical analysis?

I wouldn't mind betting that frequent anti-phorm posters using BT as an ISP do not get an invite into the BT trial. They are probably identified by BT.

Perhaps some lurkers might be prepared to do this?

Perhaps it would be useful for the tech/legal bods to suggest what might be useful to record e.g.
what site you wanted when the invitation pops up?
what was the URL of the invite etc?
screen shots etc.

Should we build a check list?

Also, people with information may prefer to PM a tech bod with it (just to worry BT!), rather than post here. Perhaps the tech bods might like to confirm who would like to receive such information?

Time to get prepared for the storm.

EDIT : I see portly giraffe is logged in. Perhaps you might be prepared to host a checklist for willing people who are offered the trial on inphormationdesk?
Old 23-05-2008, 23:06   #7110
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
hang on a mo, what about DPA, no data being processed outside the EU????

opt-in / out being done outside EU ????
There you go - scaremongering again. It's people like you who are holding the internet back.
Closed Thread