Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ping times to Hub3 are abysmal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Ping times to Hub3 are abysmal

Old 02-09-2020, 11:44   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Ping times to Hub3 are abysmal

I don't know how long this has been going on for, but I've definitely noticed performance issues with my connection for a while now, gradually getting worse to the point where I have to actually do something about it..

Throughput seems okay, but latency is naff and packets are being dropped. The thing is, it's happening at the Hub, before it even gets to the CMTS.

Code:
Tracing route to 192.168.100.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  RT-AX88U-C418 [192.168.1.1]
  2   176 ms   202 ms   189 ms  192.168.100.1
Code:
Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.0.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  RT-AX88U-C418 [192.168.1.1]
  2     *      288 ms     *     10.42.240.1
  3   215 ms     *        *     pres-core-2b-xe-521-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.0.160.169]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *      656 ms  tcma5-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.181]
  6     *        *      366 ms  199.27.73.124
  7   658 ms     *      453 ms  151.101.0.81
Weirdly, my TBB graph isn't too bad (You can see where I've rebooted the hub at 10am):

And as I said, throughput is fine when something works, I can get near full speeds on speedtest.net - it takes a while to get going but when it does, it's fine. I've not seen something like this before, has anyone else and got any idea on what would fix it?

Rebooting the hub makes it a little better but not by much. It's currently running in modem mode. I've not tried factory resetting yet, that'll be my next port of call but it's a bit of a faff so I'll have to do it later.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2020, 13:14   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ping times to Hub3 are abysmal

I would take your router out of the equation and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-09-2020, 16:25   #3
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

So, update on this one:

Removing my router didn't make any real difference. I spoke to an agent on the phone, who made me pinhole reset the hub. things improved a fair bit, but ping times are still poor to the hub - 2-3ms locally with the occasional spike to 15ms+.

I admit I've never pinged the hub much from this side of the network so I have no idea if its always like that. It'll do for now.

I did get frustrated at the agent, who claimed that there was a "Network instability" but then said that there's nothing else she could do as there's "no fault".

I asked how can there be no fault if there's network instability, but it was like talking to a brick wall:

"There's no fault"

"Okay but I have an issue"

"Yes"

"And it's on Virgin's side"

"Yes"

"So there's a fault"

"no"

:facepalm:

I have to wait 48 hours before pushing it any further. It'll probably just do for now until I can get rid of Virgin.
Old 04-09-2020, 15:25   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

This is what I get to our SH3 via the router:

However yesterday I was getting radom high values around 17ms but I was running a torrent download at about 50mbs. I guess the hub prioritises traffic.

hub3_ping.JPG
Old 04-09-2020, 19:36   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Tracing route to 192.168.100.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.asus.com [18.19.1.1]
2 19 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.100.1

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.100.1

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 2ms
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 17:03   #6
Kushan

Ah, so looks like the Hub3 is just hot garbage then. No surprises there really.

They just need to roll out gig1 to me already.
Old 13-09-2020, 14:47   #7
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hub 4.0 aint much better when it comes to ping times and jitter.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 15:48   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post

Looks normal to me for a cable network, no issue with that graph.
Old 13-09-2020, 18:36   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

That graph, though usual for a cable connection, bears no resemblance to Kushan's issue.

Kushan is commenting on ping time from PC - Hub, nothing inbetween. Your graph shows ping time from TBB's servers through extenal routing to VM's network and routing to the hub which can have 10-30 routers involved inbetween.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 19:16   #10
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
That graph, though usual for a cable connection, bears no resemblance to Kushan's issue.

Kushan is commenting on ping time from PC - Hub, nothing inbetween. Your graph shows ping time from TBB's servers through extenal routing to VM's network and routing to the hub which can have 10-30 routers involved inbetween.
Was in reference to the "They just need to roll out gig1 to me already." its the same arris product with the same faulty chipset line maybe not as bad but from the heat it gives out i wouldn't be surprised if it fails in less than a year.

Was adding my 2 cents the the Hub 4.0 isn't any better than the 3.0

So climb down off the high horse.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 20:01   #11
Kushan

I appreciate the comments. I know the hub4 uses the same chipset with the same issues, but I believe it's clocked much higher which sort of...gets around those issues a little.
Old 13-09-2020, 20:03   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Was in reference to the "They just need to roll out gig1 to me already." its the same arris product with the same faulty chipset line maybe not as bad but from the heat it gives out i wouldn't be surprised if it fails in less than a year.

Was adding my 2 cents the the Hub 4.0 isn't any better than the 3.0

So climb down off the high horse.
Hub 4 doesn't have the Dodgy Puma 6 chipset.

Edit
It does look like Puma7 may have the issue too, if so what the hell is VM thinking of!

Saying that I don't have any issues with my hub 3.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 13-09-2020 at 20:09.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 20:20   #13
Kushan

I think it's more what the hell are Arris thinking of.
Old 13-09-2020, 22:55   #14
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

They don't know their Arris from their elbow.

I'm here all week.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 23:11   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Made me chuckle
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote