Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2020, 22:07   #6076
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Coronavirus

Let's keep the topic of BLM out of this thread, other than discussing protests
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2020, 22:07   #6077
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’ve removed it since you’ve taken such offence from it and asked.

I do think you are demonstrating bias, perhaps unconsciously, against BLM. However as I said that’s for another thread. A gathering is a gathering in my book.
Thank you.

I’ve been consistent with my view on BLM on this forum.

I agree with the message of BLM.

I argued against the death of George Floyd and against those on this forum that attempted to mitigate it.

I have always drawn a distinction between BLM the message and BLM the political entity/ideology.

There is a difference.
Old 26-09-2020, 23:28   #6078
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-to-you-and-me

Let’s adopt the Sweden model. 50% working from home. Make employers pay levies for social security payments at sizeable percentages of wages.

Sounds amazing.
Old 26-09-2020, 23:55   #6079
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Is there room for Pierre on the end of that straw?
Well let me ask you this question, smart arse, were there any reports of any arrests?
Old 27-09-2020, 00:12   #6080
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Well let me ask you this question, smart arse, were there any reports of any arrests?
No need for insults, Max.

Dad anyone get arrested at the VE Day street parties? They looked closer than 2 metres to me. Many of them looked high risk too.
Old 27-09-2020, 00:24   #6081
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
No need for insults, Max.

Dad anyone get arrested at the VE Day street parties? They looked closer than 2 metres to me. Many of them looked high risk too.
I have no idea, did you witness or see any? What's your real objective here, jfman? you seem to have a bee in your bonnet against anything British, hence your quote about the VE Day street celebrations, which did not attract the same volume of people as those involved in leaving pubs or at mass demonstrations.
Old 27-09-2020, 00:44   #6082
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I have no idea, did you witness or see any? What's your real objective here, jfman? you seem to have a bee in your bonnet against anything British, hence your quote about the VE Day street celebrations, which did not attract the same volume of people as those involved in leaving pubs or at mass demonstrations.
Whoa that’s a leap.

Can you evidence that less people attended VE Day street parties than these so called “mass demonstrations”. The BBC certainly found one easy enough to join them for singing those tedious wartime ditties.

What’s my “real objective” here? I’m not a spy, Max. I’m fairly transparent in this thread on the fact I’d like to see the virus dealt with effectively by the Govermment, which in turn promotes economic recovery.
Old 27-09-2020, 00:52   #6083
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Whoa that’s a leap.

Can you evidence that less people attended VE Day street parties than these so called “mass demonstrations”. The BBC certainly found one easy enough to join them for singing those tedious wartime ditties.

What’s my “real objective” here? I’m not a spy, Max. I’m fairly transparent in this thread on the fact I’d like to see the virus dealt with effectively by the Govermment, which in turn promotes economic recovery.
Are you really saying that the street parties were attended by more people than the demonstrations? Maybe they were if you counted the numbers throughout the country, but they weren't all as close together as the demonstrations were but, no doubt you'll come up with the answer.
Old 27-09-2020, 00:56   #6084
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Are you really saying that the street parties were attended by more people than the demonstrations? Maybe they were if you counted the numbers throughout the country, but they weren't all as close together as the demonstrations were but, no doubt you'll come up with the answer.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. The vomit inducing BBC coverage certainly didn’t show much 2 metre distancing or a lack of household mixing when I looked.

The virus doesn’t care if you’re one large mass gathering or thousands of smaller ones. It takes its opportunities when it can.
Old 27-09-2020, 01:05   #6085
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That’s exactly what I’m saying. The vomit inducing BBC coverage certainly didn’t show much 2 metre distancing or a lack of household mixing when I looked.

The virus doesn’t care if you’re one large mass gathering or thousands of smaller ones. It takes its opportunities when it can.
Why is that vomit-inducing to you? Kinda sums up what I said earlier about your dislike ( and I'm being kind here) to anything British.
Old 27-09-2020, 05:03   #6086
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Back to the topic please.

---------- Post added at 05:03 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It seems Boris Johnson's honeymoon period has well and truly ended.
His recent actions and dictatorship imposition of endless rules are killing the support of everyone I knew that once supported him.

I supported the early decisions, I grugingly supported the lockdown.

But over the last few weeks its just been one knee jerk reaction after another, and as per previous post, a lot of the general public (that I know of, and myself as well) are getting pretty cheesed off with all these constant (and inconsistant) rules for something none of us have see any evidence of (other than on TV).

I went out for a meal tonight. The rules forced me to wear a mask to walk 20 or so feet from the door to my table, and the same when I left.
A trip of about 10 seconds each way, Im sure it made all the difference (esp as its almost a certainty there is no CV19 anywhere near the place).

I had to keep asking staff to repeat what they were saying to me because their masks muffled their voice so much I could not make it out (a noisy environment).

I happened upon the official government site on masks, which states ;
Quote:
The best available scientific evidence is that, when used correctly, wearing a face covering may reduce the spread of coronavirus droplets in certain circumstances...
Not exactly a ringing endorsment of their usefulness (and presumably thats real masks, not the homemade/makshift ones many people use).

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 27-09-2020, 06:40   #6087
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

There is a difference between what was in the past, just advice or guidance, and what has now been enshrined in law. There is a legal difference between "should" and "must".
26 June

Quote:
Current guidance says that “where possible, you should maintain 2m between people”. The guidance should change to state that 2m or 1m with risk mitigation (where 2m is not viable) are acceptable, and that businesses should set out the mitigations that they will introduce in their risk assessment.

Any measures are introduced at the "last minute" in response to an ever-changing situation. Not really a situation suitable for endless debates that delay things. The alternative would have to be even harsher rules, because of the delay in being able to introduce them. They would have to be entirely speculative and possibly over the top, because they wouldn't know what the situation would be by the time anything was debated and approved.
Old 27-09-2020, 08:35   #6088
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
But over the last few weeks its just been one knee jerk reaction after another, and as per previous post, a lot of the general public (that I know of, and myself as well) are getting pretty cheesed off with all these constant (and inconsistant) rules for something none of us have see any evidence of (other than on TV).
The scary thing is Paul, is that these “ knee jerk” rules are no actual law.

Read it , click on the link.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (England) Regulations 2020

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/684

It’s no longer a case of being asked nicely to do something, it’s do it or be sanctioned by the state.

That is complete overkill for this situation.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:24   #6089
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The scary thing is Paul, is that these “ knee jerk” rules are no actual law.

Read it , click on the link.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (England) Regulations 2020

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/684

It’s no longer a case of being asked nicely to do something, it’s do it or be sanctioned by the state.

That is complete overkill for this situation.
The problem is a lot of the public are stupid, self-centred, and think they know better. Hence the need for laws.

In Sweden most comply without the need for legislation. They have a sense of community which we lost long ago.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:34   #6090
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The problem is a lot of the public are stupid, self-centred, and think they know better. Hence the need for laws.

In Sweden most comply without the need for legislation. They have a sense of community which we lost long ago.
No no no don't bring yourself down like that,look in the mirror and say i am worth it,i am not stupid,i love myself just as i am.