Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Parliament coming to BBC2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do VM still take down Sky dishes?

Old 25-08-2016, 06:25   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Do VM still take down Sky dishes?

Met a friend at a BBQ over the weekend that I hadn't seen for years.

He said that ages ago, he switched from Sky to VM and that as part of the installation service, they offered to tidy up his property by removing the now redundant satellite dish. I guess that this made sound business sense.

I just wondered if they still did this; although with the advent of Freesat, things are different now.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2016, 06:35   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Do VM still take down Sky dishes?

Never happened
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:07   #3
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

I'd be very surprised if this was actually true Richard.

For one thing, they would have a no un-necessary working at height rule in place, plus the time that is actually taken to remove someone else's property would mean less time for further new Virgin installations that day.

I suppose it could be an isolated case that the engineer did out of the kindness of his heart, but I can't see it being normal behaviour.
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:19   #4
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
I'd be very surprised if this was actually true Richard.
Apply that logic to 94% of the stuff the dude says and your on the right course
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:31   #5
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Met a friend at a BBQ over the weekend that I hadn't seen for years.

He said that ages ago, he switched from Sky to VM and that as part of the installation service, they offered to tidy up his property by removing the now redundant satellite dish. I guess that this made sound business sense.

I just wondered if they still did this; although with the advent of Freesat, things are different now.
Yep this happened with me when I switched from Sky to Telewest about 20 years ago.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:46   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I have never heard of this happening. Not in the last 15 years anyway.

Its not their equipment so they shouldn't be touching it.
Old 25-08-2016, 12:05   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

It was done in the early days of Nynex but it was not the dish they collected but intead it was the old sky settop box. The campain was called "dump the dish" and if you let them take the settop away you did not pay for install.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:17   #8
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Then I stand corrected ... live and learn !
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:41   #9
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

A sky installer was about to snip a freeview wire i had while he was installing with the phrase " you won't be needing this any more"

aye right,
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 13:06   #10
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

At the time I was happy to see the back of the dish as it was quiet big.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 14:09   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Apply that logic to 94% of the stuff the dude says and your on the right course
How would you know, were you at the BBQ too

Quote:

Apparently, they did ask for permission first.

Thanks to those that confirmed this, I didn't think that he was lying, but I'd never heard of this before so thought I'd ask the forum.

I believe he was in a former NTL franchise.
Old 25-08-2016, 17:49   #12
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

When i cancelled BT and went with Nynex BT did a total disconnection of the line and told me i'd have to pay a new install cost if i wanted to go back with them.

Talk about cutting your nose off! The result was i haven't gone back to them for over 25 years

Although it's cheaper to get a new line installed now and if i wanted fibre it's a new install anyway.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 17:54   #13
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

How would fibre be a new install over ADSL?

It would just use the same phone line/socket...
Old 25-08-2016, 18:00   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
When i cancelled BT and went with Nynex BT did a total disconnection of the line and told me i'd have to pay a new install cost if i wanted to go back with them.

Talk about cutting your nose off! The result was i haven't gone back to them for over 25 years

Although it's cheaper to get a new line installed now and if i wanted fibre it's a new install anyway.
When I started using cable 16 years ago BT removed the line not too long afterwards.

A tenant answered the door when I wasn't in and was asked if the line was still in use and if not, could they remove it.

He told them no and that they could! I would have preferred that it stayed in case I wanted to ever return without paying the full installation charge.

I would have argued that he did not have the authority to authorise this should I have needed a phone line again.

Doesn't really matter though, as I believe that Sky reimburse customers without a phone line.
Old 25-08-2016, 18:02   #15
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
How would fibre be a new install over ADSL?

It would just use the same phone line/socket...
dunno about the rest but when bt installed my fibre here they installed / replaced my master socket with one that had a phone / internet socket on the front.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote