Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new?

Old 02-11-2018, 13:55   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new?

I've just received an email saying that the VM app has been updated. It also says that it is now possible to stream recordings from the V6 to a phone or tablet in your own home.

Is this a new feature, I can't recall seeing this before?

Do you have to leave the V6 switched on to be able to do this?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2018, 14:17   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: Is the ability to stream V6 recordings to your tablet/phone new?

I have used this before - not new.
Old 02-11-2018, 14:39   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It's been available since the launch of the V6.

You have to leave the V6 switched on if you want to stream within your home and across the home network from the V6 to your mobile device.

You can also download some shows to a mobile device for offline viewing - however this can take a while to complete as the V6 has to transcode the recording into a mobile format as it goes.
Old 02-11-2018, 16:18   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks.

Does anyone know what the update did?
Old 02-11-2018, 16:47   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Depends what device you use - the What's New for iOS says "IOS 12 Support"
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 21:05   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Cheers.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's been available since the launch of the V6.

You have to leave the V6 switched on if you want to stream within your home and across the home network from the V6 to your mobile device.

You can also download some shows to a mobile device for offline viewing - however this can take a while to complete as the V6 has to transcode the recording into a mobile format as it goes.
Why does it take so long ? On Q a 30 minute show took me under a minute to download to phone seems odd why Virgin would employ such a slow method.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:06   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That's the way it's designed by TiVo. The box doesn't keep any 'mobile ready' versions of the recordings on the disk. This does mean that as much disk space as possible is available for recording.

Sky Q converts recordings ahead of time. So space is used on the disk for the download version of recordings, but as you've found the upside there is quicker downloads.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:17   #9
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's the way it's designed by TiVo. The box doesn't keep any 'mobile ready' versions of the recordings on the disk. This does mean that as much disk space as possible is available for recording.

Sky Q converts recordings ahead of time. So space is used on the disk for the download version of recordings, but as you've found the upside there is quicker downloads.
Thanks for the explanation - suppose it makes sense as the v6 has a small disk capacity.

I have never found any of my recordings which are downloadable - how do you tell?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:33   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

You should see a symbol next to the show and then the appropriate download option.

You can see that in the screenshot here on this post on Community forum:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...3849534#M56724