Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkins... Wireless connectivity issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkins... Wireless connectivity issues

Old 15-06-2009, 12:11   #1
Slongy
Inactive

Slongy is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkins... Wireless connectivity issues

Hi all, hoping someone can help here:

I've had Wireless Modem routers for years, using a Wired PC on XP, two laptops on Vista and a PS3. Never had a problem except it wasn't really up to gaming on the PS3.

I have a BT phoneline and Broadband from Pipex.

Purchased a Belkin N1 Wireless Modem router as an upgrade. Connected it up no problem but had issues with the laptops seeing it. They were finding neighbours networks no problem but couldn't find the Belkin (even when right next to it). Intermittently managed to get some connectivity but kept dropping out.

Took it back and got a replacement. Worse problems, couldn't get the wired computer to see it to adjust settings. Managed to do a full reset with Belkins help and got it working. Strong wireless connection on the laptop but intemittently dropped out. Then it lost it's settings and had to be rebooted twice in 3 days. Sometimes the laptops could see it, sometimes they couldn't (tried with and without security) and with laptop in various rooms (as well as right next to it)

Spoke to Belkin and they are arranging a replacement as I should need to do the full reset 3 times in a week. In the meantime I bought a different Belkin Wirelss N router to use. Set up great yesterday, Laptops all connecting fine with Security. However go to log on this morning and can see the router but saying the security settings are wrong.

There has to be more to this than problem routers... I think at least one of the routers was knackered, but the others aren't, could it be to do with the way Vista is setup? It worked fine with Dlink routers previously.

Just wondering if there are some obvious things I should be trying?

Cheers for your help

Slongy
Slongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2009, 13:09   #2
mentalis
cf.geek

Services: | Freeview | VirginTV XL with TiVo | BB L | Phone M |
mentalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nice
Re: Belkins... Wireless connectivity issues

I bought a Belkin (can't remember which one - the one with a gigabit switch) recently as the Netgear I used to have wasn't up to the job of gaming on the PS3.

The Belkin is slow to connect on the PS3, and sometimes never does. Once connected it's fine. My Vista laptop has never had a problem with it - in wired or wireless mode, and my Ubuntu desktop works in wired mode.
mentalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 16:17   #3
xtopher
Inactive

xtopher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkins... Wireless connectivity issues

I am using DLink N router. My daughters laptop suddenly stopped; it was the driver. So maybe check if your driver has updated itself, roll back forwards to see if it helps. One of our drivers didn't autochannel find. Good luck!
xtopher is offline   Reply With Quote