Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Awful mobile reception

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Awful mobile reception

Old 03-04-2019, 13:38   #1
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Awful mobile reception

Not sure if this is the right section to put this in.

So, we moved house about a year ago (people may remember my woes of getting a phone line...) - but we only moved about 10 minutes down the road from where we were... but we seem to be in a mobile reception dead spot.

Originally we were with Virgin (which I know use EE) - but the signal was so bad we had to leave them (we called several times to talk to them about it, got fobbed off, got told engineers were looking at it, until they eventually admitted there was nothing they could do). After trying out a series of free sims, we discovered that O2 gave the 'best' reception - so we're with giffgaff now... but as I say the reception is still really bad - calls often drop, or no reception at all, etc...
I've googled and there does seem to be talk of signal boosters, but then there's also talk of them not working, not being legal, etc.

Does anyone know of any options here?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2019, 14:08   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Awful mobile reception

Have you considered wifi calling with O2?

I have this on my EE contract and it will use wifi automatically if i don't have signal, it maybe mobile phone type dependant, but if you're prepared to get suitable mobiles/contract then this may solve your problem.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling
Old 03-04-2019, 20:43   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

O2 doo a boostbox.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-co...boostbox-guide
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 19:00   #4
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post

I have this on my EE contract and it will use wifi automatically if i don't have signal, it maybe mobile phone type dependant, but if you're prepared to get suitable mobiles/contract then this may solve your problem.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling
I use it on my iPhone and it is rock solid
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 19:12   #5
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
I use it on my iPhone and it is rock solid
Yup, use this on my iPhone

t's handset dependent on Vodafone.... and they (Vodafone) charge for it

Earliest iOS phones that supported it was iPhone 7
Old 04-04-2019, 19:53   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Yup, use this on my iPhone

t's handset dependent on Vodafone.... and they (Vodafone) charge for it

Earliest iOS phones that supported it was iPhone 7
They don't charge for WiFi calling.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:34   #7
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Boost box might be a good idea.

I did look at the wifi calling, but it seems dependent on the handset, as not all handsets can do it.

Doesn't give an indication of how much a boost box is though....

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Boost box might be a good idea.

I did look at the wifi calling, but it seems dependent on the handset, as not all handsets can do it.

Doesn't give an indication of how much a boost box is though....
had a quick search. £150... but it's only for business users
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 19:29   #8
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post

Just for the benefit of the thread... O2 & Vodafone WiFi calling works for calls but not texts, EE supports both and I'm not sure about 3. They used to be app-based, I tested with a friend's iPhone last week and texts didn't work but it was native.

I'll second the comments about it being rock solid on EE though, including seamless handover to and from 4G coverage when you drift and ind out of WiFi range.

Last edited by japitts; 07-04-2019 at 19:38.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote