Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does Line Rental Saver now put you into a new contract?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Does Line Rental Saver now put you into a new contract?

Old 22-03-2019, 17:44   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Does Line Rental Saver now put you into a new contract?

Last month I renewed my Line Rental Saver before it expired; no mention was made about a new contract (although it is non refundable, so you are in effect punished for leaving within a year).

I rang about something different today and was told by the offshore call centre that, since the end of last year, taking the Line Rental Saver option puts you into a new 12 month contract!

Is this correct or their usual nonsense?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2019, 17:46   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Does Line Rental Saver now put you into a new contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Last month I renewed my Line Rental Saver before it expired; no mention was made about a new contract (although it is non refundable, so you are in effect punished for leaving within a year).

I rang about something different today and was told by the offshore call centre that, since the end of last year, taking the Line Rental Saver option puts you into a new 12 month contract!

I renewed my Line Rental and it did not put on to a new contract
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 19:29   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

As you paid for 12mths I would assume you've contracted for the phone for 12mths.

As it's not refundable they can hardly penalise you if you leave early so I can't see the problem.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 19:42   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It does effectively tie you in for a year, as it's not refundable. It can put you in a weak position when renegotiating a contract, they know you probably aren't going elsewhere ! I've only ever taken it out after I've just signed up for a 12month contract. I'm minded not to renew mine, the saving isn't much any longer, it used to be a lot more.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 06:10   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
As you paid for 12mths I would assume you've contracted for the phone for 12mths.

As it's not refundable they can hardly penalise you if you leave early so I can't see the problem.
My issue is being tied into a contract without me being told. Financially, there's not much extra that they could do, but this practice needs nipping in the bud. I was also told that i'd been sent a new contract, but hadn't.

As Ken wasn't tied into a contract, I suspect it's the usual BS from thsrs people though.

---------- Post added at 05:10 ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It does effectively tie you in for a year, as it's not refundable. It can put you in a weak position when renegotiating a contract, they know you probably aren't going elsewhere ! I've only ever taken it out after I've just signed up for a 12month contract. I'm minded not to renew mine, the saving isn't much any longer, it used to be a lot more.
Yep, that's what I did when I recontracted in return for TV discounts. It's been reduced to £36 a year IIRC, which works out at £3 a month off. Much less than when it was introduced.
Old 23-03-2019, 10:44   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You are talking BS again Richard. You asked VM to supply you with a telephone line for 12 months at an agreed price. They agreed and have done so.

That is a contract! It does not need to be in writing.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:57   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You are talking BS again Richard. You asked VM to supply you with a telephone line for 12 months at an agreed price. They agreed and have done so.

That is a contract! It does not need to be in writing.
They said one had been sent in writing, which was not true. As for talking BS again, provide examples and try not to be so rude in future.
Old 23-03-2019, 22:54   #8
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/phone.html

Line Rental Saver: £196 for 12 months' line rental must be paid in advance by debit/credit card. Only available to customers renewing an existing Line Rental Saver plan for a Virgin Media cable phone line and agreeing to a new 12 months minimum period across all services.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 10:37   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/phone.html

Line Rental Saver: £196 for 12 months' line rental must be paid in advance by debit/credit card. Only available to customers renewing an existing Line Rental Saver plan for a Virgin Media cable phone line and agreeing to a new 12 months minimum period across all services.
Thanks, so it seems that they were correct. I still wasn't notified at the time or sent a new contract so it may not be valid in my case, so we'll see what happens!

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I renewed my Line Rental and it did not put on to a new contract
When did you do this Ken? They might have put you into a contract too without you knowing it.
Old 24-03-2019, 11:17   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Thanks, so it seems that they were correct. I still wasn't notified at the time or sent a new contract so it may not be valid in my case, so we'll see what happens!

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

When did you do this Ken? They might have put you into a contract too without you knowing it.

Dec 2018, and looking at my statement I am not in contract, in fact my contract ended 2000
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 12:51   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Dec 2018, and looking at my statement I am not in contract, in fact my contract ended 2000
Maybe you just missed this new policy then as they said that it came in at the end of 2018.
Old 29-03-2019, 00:03   #12
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Once LRS expires the company policy is now that it cant be put back on. However, some of the helpfull system gurus at Swansea (who now sadly are no longer VM employees) were able to reinstate some.

By "locking" the LRS to the rest of the contract it will stop these running out at a different time to the other services on the account & stop customers missing the renewal date.

Well, at least that was the explanation I have been given.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote