Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

Old 22-03-2019, 20:31   #16
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

Well at the beginning of the year they added another phone mast near my work.

We now all get a strong 4G signal. At home not so strong.
Old 25-03-2019, 09:38   #17
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

If we are talking mainly from a phone perspective, I tend to hardly ever use my Wifi now as the price of data on a monthly Sim plan is reasonable.
At times my phones been even faster than my landline broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
how would I connect to it from home? Would I need a new router with a SIM in it? Or is the assumption that "everyone" uses their phone? That then goes against smart TVs, unless people will stream from phone straight to TV or whatever young cool kids do these days

I'm guessing you'd have a router with sim card slot.
These already exist for 4G so devices would plug into that or connect wirelessely.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 09:59   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
If we are talking mainly from a phone perspective, I tend to hardly ever use my Wifi now as the price of data on a monthly Sim plan is reasonable.
At times my phones been even faster than my landline broadband.

I'm guessing you'd have a router with sim card slot.
These already exist for 4G so devices would plug into that or connect wirelessely.
I've been told that unlimited data is now available for around £25 a month, not much different to broadband prices!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 15:08   #19
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

I was offered unlimited everything for £18 on 4G. Just found out that 5G is being installed near me, so that gives me another option soon.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote