Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New channels planned for Freeview.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

New channels planned for Freeview.

Old 28-04-2019, 20:05   #91
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: New channels planned for Freeview.

An interesting scenario. If S4C becomes funded by the licence fee, topped up by advertising, this could considered for the wider BBC channels.

I doubt that viewers and the commercial channels would be in favour though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2019, 23:57   #92
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
An interesting scenario. If S4C becomes funded by the licence fee, topped up by advertising, this could considered for the wider BBC channels.

There is no if, it already is, and the percentage has steadily been increasing for a while.

From 2010 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11581346

From 2016 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37300406
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 00:16   #93
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

He said
Quote:
However, S4C funding responsibility, starting in 2013, began to transfer to the BBC with the aim of it being wholly funded by the license fee by 2022
How does that equate to
Quote:
If S4C becomes funded by the licence fee, topped up by advertising
Surely "wholly" rules out "topped up by"?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 00:28   #94
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Were you reminded of a certain famous duet?
Ha ha. That and also streams and countryside generally

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
He said

How does that equate to

I concur.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 00:39   #95
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
He said

How does that equate to

Quite. I'm not quite sure what it means. I'm just quoting from various places.

He's another.
Quote:
S4C’s public funding should be provided entirely through the licence fee from 2022/23 onwards, with all future funding decisions made as part of the BBC licence fee funding settlement.
This comes from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-future-of-s4c from March 2018.
Old 29-04-2019, 09:39   #96
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I did notice the 'wholly funded' part, but I think that this must be an error. It's part of Tory philosophy to reduce direct taxation in favour of voluntary contributions towards services like advertising, sponsorship etc.

It's for this reason that I can't see S4C ceasing to take advertising, unless i'm wrong and S4C is to become more like BBC1 than Channel 4??
Old 29-04-2019, 10:31   #97
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I did notice the 'wholly funded' part, but I think that this must be an error. It's part of Tory philosophy to reduce direct taxation in favour of voluntary contributions towards services like advertising, sponsorship etc.

It's for this reason that I can't see S4C ceasing to take advertising, unless i'm wrong and S4C is to become more like BBC1 than Channel 4??
For now I'm interpreting it as S4C always having non-advertising funding, and the BBC was brought in replace another source. It used to directly funded (in part) by one of the government departments directly, the BBC was replacing this at the very least. I don't know the original proportions for the funding to run the channel.

The World Service used to be funded directly, until relatively recently, by a government department, and the BBC was "asked" to take over funding on top of running it.
Old 29-04-2019, 11:50   #98
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
For now I'm interpreting it as S4C always having non-advertising funding, and the BBC was brought in replace another source. It used to directly funded (in part) by one of the government departments directly, the BBC was replacing this at the very least. I don't know the original proportions for the funding to run the channel.

The World Service used to be funded directly, until relatively recently, by a government department, and the BBC was "asked" to take over funding on top of running it.
Yes, I think that's what's meant by the article. It's more about the BBC having to fund it now as opposed to the cessation of advertising.
Old 30-04-2019, 16:14   #99
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Keep It Country TV is to change its name to Spotlight TV, to reflect that the channel is also featuring a lot of programmes that are not country oriented.

CEO Phil Mack has assured viewers on his weekly show that the core format will remain as country music, but the name change will reflect the fact that increasingly popular non country shows are also now also attracting large audiences to the channel.

Courtesy of nodrogd.
Old 13-05-2019, 17:15   #100
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A retune results in the following changes and a new channel:

E4 has moved to LCN 13
Film4 has moved from 15 to 14
C4+1 has moved from 13 to 15
More 4 has moved from 14 to 18
4Music has moved from 18 to 29
E4+1 has moved from 29 to 28
Movies4Men has moved from 48 to 40
Movies4Men+1 has appeared on 48
Sony Crime has moved from 40 from 60
Sony Crime+1 has been deleted

The retune also shows a slate for Al Jazeera English due to start on LCN 235 from 30/5/19 on ARQ-B/Multiplex D.
Old 14-05-2019, 15:51   #101
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The retune also shows a slate for Al Jazeera English due to start on LCN 235 from 30/5/19 on ARQ-B/Multiplex D.
The may Sony is going right on Freeview I think POP will move on May 30th so that Al Jazeera Eng can launch after all POP is broadcasting on ARQ-B Right now.

Sony may move POP to Local Mux to share with Movies4Men +1
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:40   #102
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
The may Sony is going right on Freeview I think POP will move on May 30th so that Al Jazeera Eng can launch after all POP is broadcasting on ARQ-B Right now.

Sony may move POP to Local Mux to share with Movies4Men +1
At first I thought "nah". But then I thought maybe. I had assumed M4M+1 was getting whole slot rather than the partial timeshare of SCC+1 which it replaced. But given the way Sony gave up the slot Keep It Country now occupies (which doesn't have full coverage as in Wales it's E4 in it), it's certainly possible. The cost to coverage ratio might be worth it, especially if AJEng compensate them to take over their contract for that slot.

However I just checked the Freeview EPG for M4M+1 and it has a 24hr schedule. Combined with the EPG promotion it was given, I just don't buy the point of Sony doing it if they were going to reduce it to timesharing with Pop after 2 weeks, when AJ English SD is due to start.

And if Pop moved that would require another retune, what would the point in another retune in 2 weeks time?

Therefore I think AJ English SD must be using other space.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 14-05-2019 at 18:43.
Old 14-05-2019, 18:44   #103
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
At first I thought "nah". But then I thought maybe. I had assumed M4M+1 was getting whole slot rather than the partial timeshare of SCC+1 which it replaced. But given the way Sony gave up the slot Keep It Country now occupies (which doesn't have full coverage as in Wales it's E4 in it), it's certainly possible. The cost to coverage ratio might be worth it, especially if AJEng compensate them to take over their contract for that slot.

However I just checked the Freeview EPG for M4M+1 and it has a 24hr schedule. Combined with the EPG promotion it was given, I just don't buy the point of Sony doing it if they were going to reduce it to timesharing with Pop after 2 weeks, when AJ English SD is due to start.

Therefore I think AJ English SD must be using other space.
I have try Digital Bit Rate but the Freeview page has not been updated since May 8th.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 14:40   #104
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Home is to be replaced by a UK version of Home and Garden TV (HGTV). No further details available as yet.

This is the first change since the UKTV split.
Old 28-06-2019, 21:41   #105
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Sony Crime channel is dropping it's drama content from it's schedule from 1/7/19:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/06/sony...s-channel.html

Viewing figures for Sony Crime channel have been very low since launch, maybe Sony are gearing up for another channel closure??

Channel 5 have reached agreement with Pluto TV to stream three of their channels on it's my5 online service:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/06/my5-...-channels.html