Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

Old 30-05-2020, 12:07   #16
wigwam12
cf.member

wigwam12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

Right so forgive me
I’ll try to keep everything in this thread as it broadly relates to my switching to VMB

I’ve noticed 3 things so far which might be coincidence or not but definitely new:
1) internet is somewhat erratic at the moment. Sometimes dropping out. I’m so far putting it down to new line needing to stabilise

2) As mentioned elsewhere (ahem) I can see my media files from Synology on the PS4 no problem but only on the TV Dlna Section when I turn on the IGMP multi thread thingy
It’s surely an issue related to age of the TV as I can’t even change it’s IP address from either router or the tv network settings (greyed out) whereas I could before

BUT (and again it might be a coincidence) but
3) turning this on has made WiFi from the Asus especially over 5g band much slower
For example on Thursday evening (before changing those settings) I was getting 250mbs on my phone on the living room and over 100 upstairs
Now it’s 40mbs in living room but when I walked into the office I get 350

Only settings I changed was IGMP (multi thread and then later snooping as well but problem occurred before snooping)
And yesterday in the WiFi section I also turned on snooping and an option to release to an access point if it has a better signal
It still isn’t doing that (without me going into the WiFi section of settings in phone. I don’t have to do anything but after 10s I see The signal jump up as it’s presumably switched to the upstairs access point)
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2020, 18:07   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Are you sure you haven't accidentally disabled hardware accelerated NAT on the router? Some of the options will disable that, causing you to lose significant performance.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 18:40   #18
wigwam12
cf.member

wigwam12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ll double check but it doesn’t seem to fit with the performance drop off described by hardware NAT acceleration in that I’m still getting 350mb wired speeds on the PC, and when I’m in the office I get similar speeds over 5ghz WiFi it’s just that I seem to have developed a cliff edge drop-off in WiFi speeds more than 5m away (down to 40mb)
wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 19:34   #19
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That's true, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hmm, is the Hitron broadcasting anything itself? Could just be interference on the same wifi channel.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 20:18   #20
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

In fixed routed subnet mode the Hirton's WiFi functions are disabled, so it shouldn't be intrerfering.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote