Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Old 11-09-2019, 19:31   #1
martkt10
cf.member

martkt10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Hi folks,

I keep getting a phone call from 01646083973 or 01062956263, both are recorded messages saying they are going to cut my internet off because of torrenting

Are they a scam ?

Thanks for any help
martkt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2019, 19:41   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Neither number is an ISP so I'd say it's a scam. The most likely warning you'll get about (illegal) torrents is from VM themselves and that's by email to your account addy.
Old 11-09-2019, 19:44   #3
martkt10
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Neither number is an ISP so I'd say it's a scam. The most likely warning you'll get about (illegal) torrents is from VM themselves and that's by email to your account addy.
Would it be best to not answer the number's again ? as i don't know how to block them
Old 11-09-2019, 19:45   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkt10 View Post
Would it be best to not answer the number's again ? as i don't know how to block them
Yes. They dont sound at all legit.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 19:50   #5
martkt10
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Yes. They dont sound at all legit.
Thank you
Old 11-09-2019, 21:43   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkt10 View Post
Hi folks,

I keep getting a phone call from 01646083973 or 01062956263, both are recorded messages saying they are going to cut my internet off because of torrenting

Are they a scam ?

Thanks for any help
I think with issues like this they would write to you if you were abusing the system. I'd definitely ignore the calls.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 21:46   #7
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

This sounds liek a variant of the widespread scam that has been going on for a time. Likely if you speak to them they will offer to help get rid of the problem by talking you through some tasks on your PC that will give them remote access to it.

I get these calls often They usually claim to be BT Openreach. Two points - Openreach do not talk directly to end users, and secondly since I am with Virginmedia BT is not involved.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 22:08   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

They are a scam - they just say "we are from your ISP" without naming the provider.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 22:11   #9
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
This sounds liek a variant of the widespread scam that has been going on for a time. Likely if you speak to them they will offer to help get rid of the problem by talking you through some tasks on your PC that will give them remote access to it.

I get these calls often They usually claim to be BT Openreach. Two points - Openreach do not talk directly to end users, and secondly since I am with Virginmedia BT is not involved.
Yes the usual routine is bill you for "work" done, empty your account if you're really unlucky or syskey the pc (i.e. change your login password) then charge you to recover it.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 00:07   #10
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

I had a hoax call from Ofcom recently. Ignore
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:26   #11
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Just put the phone down..
Old 12-09-2019, 10:28   #12
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They are a scam - they just say "we are from your ISP" without naming the provider.

|I get them often, I just ignore and delete
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:21   #13
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I feel like answering and asking them for their ID so I can check them out. But really I can't be bothered.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:25   #14
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I get those daily, from similar numbers. It is a scam. You can't ring back and the message is usually automated. The origin of these calls is offshore, so there is nothing you can do apart from putting the phone down or by telling them to - second word is 'off'.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:58   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The spoof the originating number too, the latest ones look like a mobile (not likely to be ISP but could be a friend we don't the number stored for) or 034 so could be a call from supplier of some sort.

The real number is known so excepting known exceptions it would be nice if telcos could look to tagging or dropping calls where the claimed number doesn't match. I know there are legitimate reasons sometimes maybe but they should be exceptions.