Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 21-09-2011, 17:06   #631
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2011, 20:22   #632
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Super hub on 50meg R30 router mode

Uptime 14 days

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 20:44   #633
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Getting a bit busy on the upstream that, Sirius.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 21:21   #634
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Getting a bit busy on the upstream that, Sirius.
It is indeed m8

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 23:05   #635
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post

That's certainly one of the better 100Mb lines I've seen, and in line with the predictions VM give their customers of what they should expect at the top end. With a 10Mb upload you could even stream smaller HD backups of your Blu-ray discs, if you have 'em.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 23:12   #636
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
That's certainly one of the better 100Mb lines I've seen, and in line with the predictions VM give their customers of what they should expect at the top end. With a 10Mb upload you could even stream smaller HD backups of your Blu-ray discs, if you have 'em.
My UBR is basildon.

dont know if it has anything to do with the fact that originally basildon was scheduled as "being planned" for a long time before a date was given for the upload increase and 100mbit rollout. Maybe they had to do a lot of upgrades before hand.

But even on 50mbit previously I have to say I was getting around 48mbit even then.

VM hasnt been too bad when its working lol.

Basildon though I think does occasionally suffer from utilisation issues though, because before I got my signal levels sorted out I was having erratic broadband speeds.. and 1 time I phoned up and the 100mbit guy on 2nd line said my UBR was experiencing high utilisation at that time.
Old 22-09-2011, 00:07   #637
coxy1956

Infinity bliss!
Old 22-09-2011, 01:18   #638
RB2004
Inactive

you do realise that probably the only reason infinity is getting such good latency at the moment is because only a small amount of people are actually using infinity at the moment?

as either the majority of people just havent switched from BT ADSL to infinity, or are with other ADSL providers like sky etc.

and also, a lot of areas still dont have infinity as it is being rolled out.

So only time will tell if those kind of results will last.

But, you also have to remember BT have a lot more funding than VM to upgrade if capacity becomes spread thin.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:57   #639
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
It is indeed m8
still a samknows tester? dont see the spikes for it anymore.

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

Quote:
you do realise that probably the only reason infinity is getting such good latency at the moment is because only a small amount of people are actually using infinity at the moment?

as either the majority of people just havent switched from BT ADSL to infinity, or are with other ADSL providers like sky etc.

and also, a lot of areas still dont have infinity as it is being rolled out.

So only time will tell if those kind of results will last.

But, you also have to remember BT have a lot more funding than VM to upgrade if capacity becomes spread thin.
more to do with that infinity doesnt have the same upstream capacity restrictions that VM does. If infinity ever starts causing BT grief with capacity, I expect them to pump up traffic shaping rather than just let jitter go out of control. I not a fan of shaping but at least they dont just ignore over subscription.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:16   #640
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
And the only reason my VM is so slow is because too many people are using it. Your point is?

I don't care if the service gets bad 5 years down the line, I'm not waiting around 5 years for my terrible service to become not-quite-so-terrible-in-comparison-because-everything-else-is-now-bad-too. Broadband is a monthly service, not a long-term investment. I'd rather have the benefit now, thanks.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:54   #641
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It uses the same capacity as BT's ADSL.

Quote:
No they don't, BT aren't allowed to upgrade capacity too much as it would be anti-competitive against other licenced telecomms operators.

It has good latency because it doesn't suffer from the same upstream problems as cable, it's a technology thing. DSL will nearly always beat cable for jitter.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 16:56   #642
earth
Inactive

earth is an unknown quantity at this point

Virgin Media 50Mbit (with VMNG300 + AirPort Extreme):

O2 Broadband (synced at 19463 down/2122 up):

Both at the same location - the jitter on the VM connection is pretty bad!
earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 17:31   #643
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

But they say they are best for gaming!
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 10:55   #644
le.pa.uk
Inactive

le.pa.uk is an unknown quantity at this point

My story:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...YES/m-p/632509
le.pa.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 12:56   #645
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote