Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connect 2nd home pc to internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connect 2nd home pc to internet

Old 16-08-2007, 11:44   #1
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Services: Virgin Tv Cable & Phone
mrsmac2006 is on a distinguished roadmrsmac2006 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Connect 2nd home pc to internet

Hello everyone,

I am after a bit of help.

I have bought a secound pc as I am fed up with the kids wanting to be on the internet all the time while I need to be on.

Both pc's are running windows XP home.
I am on virgin cable.
I bet you have guessed what I am going to ask, lol.

I would like to know what I am going to require to connect both pc's so they share the internet. I do not want the wireless connection.

I have a feeling it has somthing to do with setting up a small home or office network but I would like to know what kind of wires etc I will require.

I hope someone out there can help me as I know you technical minded people will be sat having a laugh at me.

Thanx
mrsmac2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2007, 11:50   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Connect 2nd home pc to internet

1. Nobody's going to be laughing at you (well, maybe I might, but that's 'cause I'm just 'orrible!)

2. to Cable Forum

3. What you're wanting to do is actually (although you won't believe it now) incredibly easy. The only problem I can see is that you're probably going to end up with wires all over your house If that's not a problem, read on.

What you need to get hold of is something called a router. This is a small(ish) box that connects to the Cable Modem. You then connect your computers to this box and it will share your internet connection across the different machines.

In time, when you get used to the idea, you will be able to do more 'networking' between the machines. For now though, this will help you get to where you want to be.

Like I say though, doing it this way will mean having cables running all over the place.

Exactly how you connect to the modem, and exactly what sort/model of router you need, will depend on what sort of modem it is, and that's where I bow out I'm afraid. I'm not a VM customer so I haven't got a clue what hardware you are using.

If you'd like to hold the line I'm sure somebody will be along shortly with some more advice
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 11:54   #3
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

You'll need a router like this one - http://tinyurl.com/2ge7gv. Even though you say you don't want wireless connectivity now you might want it in the future, the wireless routers aren't that much more expensive I use this one - http://tinyurl.com/2huxar
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 12:04   #4
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Thank you for your quick responce.

And for not having too much of a laugh .... mmmmm...lol

The pc's are going to be station right next to each other. Daft as it might sound but I like to keep an eye on what the kids are doing.

So I need a router I am guessing you can get these from PC world.

If it helps anyone out there I have a 'Cable modem ntl:250' and its blue.

I read the ntl 250 from off the back so I am assuming as us women do that thats what model it is.

Thanx
Old 16-08-2007, 12:21   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Hi there,

Make sure that the router you buy is a cable broadband router and not an ADSL router as this will not work with your connection.
You can get one from PC World but I'm sure you'l find cheaper online.
I have this one at the moment:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Ethe...261346&sr=1-51

Very easy to setup.

1. Turn off PC's and turn off NTL cable modem.

2. Still switched off, Connect NTL modem to router and each PC to router.

3. Switch on NTL modem and wait for lights to be steady.

4. Switch on router and wait til lights are steady.

5. Switch on PC's and should work straight away.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 12:26   #6
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Thank you for you reply.

I will follow your instructions to the t when I get the router.

Been impatient I might just have to go to Pc World. lol

I will check price and then decide how impatient I am.
Thank you again
Old 16-08-2007, 12:28   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Ok.

Your best bet (in my, admittedly rather humble, opinion) is going to be a basic Linksys router.

As DW has said above, you might not want the wireless now but as most come with it you might as well get a wireless one, disable the wireless, and then it's there for when you do decide you want it.

I think that this little fellow will do the job quite nicely: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT5...7263320&sr=8-3

Anything similar from PC world will be ok, just don't buy an 'ADSL' router! Tell them it's for a cable DSL connection.

simply turn everything off and unplug the modem from the computer it's plugged into at the moment.

Using ethernet cables (you will get one with the router, and probably got one with the modem, so you just need one more straight-through cat5 ethernet cable) plug the port labelled 'Internet' into the back of your modem, and then plug your two computers into the other ports (labelled 1-4) in the back of the router.

Switch the modem back on, leave for 5 minutes, switch the router on, leave for 5 minutes, switch the computers on one at a time.

Once that's done you should all be connected to the Internet. You then need to set up the security etc on the router. If you post back here when you get to that point someone will talk you through it all

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Nah

Beaten to it by Halcyon

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Old 16-08-2007, 12:35   #8
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Looking at the PC World website, I can't see any non-wireless routers listed. The router that Halcyon and I have mentioned would seem to be that way to go, the Amazon price is pretty good too. I bought my router from Amazon, I've never had any problem with them in the eight years I've been a customer.

You are right to want to check the websites the kids are visiting, I would never allow any child under 16 to have a computer in their room.
Old 16-08-2007, 12:37   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

'Cable DSL'? Are you sure?

I thought it was either cable or DSL, DSL (or ADSL) being the one she doesn't want.

And so far, nobody has asked Mrsmac to ensure that both PCs she wishes to connect have an ethernet port, nor have they told her that she may need to buy two lengths of ethernet cable when she visits PC world (I suspect that the router will come with, at best, one length of cable to connect the router to the cable modem - if it doesn't, then put three lengths of cable in your basket).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 12:43   #10
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post

I thought it was either cable or DSL, DSL (or ADSL) being the one she doesn't want.

And so far, nobody has asked Mrsmac to ensure that both PCs she wishes to connect have an ethernet port, nor have they told her that she may need to buy two lengths of ethernet cable when she visits PC world (I suspect that the router will come with, at best, one length of cable to connect the router to the cable modem - if it doesn't, then put three lengths of cable in your basket).
Fair points. I assumed the PC's were reasonably new as they are both running XP and therefore would have ethernet ports. She will of course need to buy at least one cable (my Linksys came with one short cable).

The manual for the router is here: http://www.isomicro.co.uk/downloads/befsr41_ug.pdf Chapter four shows how the router is connected.
Old 16-08-2007, 12:48   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:

You're right, my bad.

However.....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Using ethernet cables (you will get one with the router, and probably got one with the modem, so you just need one more straight-through cat5 ethernet cable) plug the port labelled 'Internet' into the back of your modem, and then plug your two computers into the other ports (labelled 1-4) in the back of the router.
So, not guilty

I would imagine that, mrsmac being the intelligent and thoughtful lady she is, she will already have sussed that there is a need to poke around the backs of the machines. We've already established a pattern of behaviour for this as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac2006 View Post
I read the ntl 250 from off the back so I am assuming as us women do that thats what model it is.
Given that at least one of the computers is fairly new:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac
I have bought a secound pc [...] running windows XP home.
I assumed that it was likely to have an Ethernet port. I'm fairly sure, given that it too is running Windows XP, that the original PC is new enough that we can make an assumption in that case as well.

So, there we have it. I've made a couple of assumptions, oh dear - I think everything else we've said has been fairly on the money though.
Old 16-08-2007, 12:50   #12
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Hello, that will me a hand's & knee's job wont it! I have already cleaned under the pc desk today lol.

Thank you for adding this your an as I would not of even thought of looking and I am sure I would have been asked in pc world.

I have come across an item in another know shop for £31.99 it is a wireless one. Can you turn all the wireless ones off ( again please dont laugh) I am trying to learn.

It would be ok if dh knew about pc's but he only recently found the on off button. lol
Old 16-08-2007, 12:52   #13
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
I have come across an item in another know shop for £31.99 it is a wireless one. Can you turn all the wireless ones off ( again please dont laugh) I am trying to learn.
You can with most routers, if you post a link to where you've found it it may be that it's one I've used previously and I can tell you for sure.
Old 16-08-2007, 12:59   #14
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Nobody is going to laugh at you, this is a good place to ask questions. The moderators do a great job of keeping it that way.

You can switch the wireless off (see pic of my router setup webpage).
Old 16-08-2007, 13:00   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
It would be ok if dh knew about pc's but he only recently found the on off button. lol
Are you a mumsnetter perchance?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote