Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC world muppets!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC world muppets!

Old 09-05-2007, 22:37   #31
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: PC world muppets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post
But what is really silly is that they are selling Cable/DSL routers in an area where the nearest cable network is around 100/150 miles away!!
The clue is in the DSL router bit. Technically you can plug a usb adsl modem into your pc and share it through the ethernet port out to the router.

Routers can be made to make many ways if you want to, I use a 3com adsl modem router as a wireless access point on the office network as I'm loath to spend money on something that will do the same job.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2007, 22:49   #32
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
The clue is in the DSL router bit. Technically you can plug a usb adsl modem into your pc and share it through the ethernet port out to the router.

Routers can be made to make many ways if you want to, I use a 3com adsl modem router as a wireless access point on the office network as I'm loath to spend money on something that will do the same job.

Or an ADSL modem with an Ethernet port
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 00:43   #33
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I've seen some staff in many shops (not only PC World) that totally forget about the customer.
They forget about what the customer wants and instead focus on what they can push as a sale and what they can get out of it.
I think there is being a good salesperson and then there is going over the top.

I would much rather buy from someone that listens to me and understands my needs than someone who is clearly trying to push a product so that they get their commision or prize for the days biggest sale.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16   #34
Jurasik
Inactive

Jurasik is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
Mic, 1st and main thing you HAVE to do when securing the network is connect via ethernet otherwise you will lose the signal and dont know what security has been applied.

my preference goes to WPA-PSK with TKIP if your hardware supports it (which is should)
This is not true. As long as you remember the settings you put into the router & you put them into the wireless adapter settings straight away, you can do this from a wireless connected PC. I have done this recently.
I do concur that it is preferable to change the router wireless settings from a hard wired PC, as you won't loose the connection (temporarily).
Jurasik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30   #35
zing_deleted

and me often had to set up wireless networks with my laptop at homes. However some routers come with wireless turned off so I always carry a cable too
Old 10-05-2007, 11:21   #36
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Going back to PC World topic...

I once saw a techie behind the technical area check to see if an ink cartridge was empty by shaking it and listening to it to see if he could hear the ink....

...like you can hear ink when it's soaked in a sponge inside the bloody cartridge....MUPPET!!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:41   #37
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post

Or an ADSL modem with an Ethernet port
Hmm do long as its not a 'router' it self. Had massive problems with the bt voyager adsl modem which had both usb and ethernet and was essentially a 2 port wired router. Trouble was when I plugged it into my linksys cable router I could not get evrything to play ball. Finally got it all to work by letting the voyager 'router' handle dhcp for my network but then it crashed every 10 mins due to overheating.

All I wanted was to forward 1 bloody port to 1 machine. Solved it by taking advantage of a price messup on ebuyer and got a dlink 54mbs wireless adsl router for £12.00 :-)
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 18:08   #38
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Hmm do long as its not a 'router' it self. Had massive problems with the bt voyager adsl modem which had both usb and ethernet and was essentially a 2 port wired router. Trouble was when I plugged it into my linksys cable router I could not get evrything to play ball. Finally got it all to work by letting the voyager 'router' handle dhcp for my network but then it crashed every 10 mins due to overheating.

All I wanted was to forward 1 bloody port to 1 machine. Solved it by taking advantage of a price messup on ebuyer and got a dlink 54mbs wireless adsl router for £12.00 :-)
Bargin then

Although my dlink adsl router was always a pain in the backside
Old 10-05-2007, 19:33   #39
cmatt
Inactive

cmatt is a jewel in the roughcmatt is a jewel in the roughcmatt is a jewel in the roughcmatt is a jewel in the roughcmatt is a jewel in the rough

if i buy from pc world - i have my ipod on full blast and aim myself for the aisle that has what i want... if it doesnt i look down to the ground and weave in and out covertly to the exit...

they are fantastic when they have stuff in stock, when im doing a home job as part of my work - (and im not paying for it anyway) i purchase from pc world out of convienance. As another poster said they bale me out also when i need a quick fix.

Would go to maplin - but i used to work there and just feel awkward in there.
cmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:34   #40
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Belkin switches aren't to bad.

Can't say the same for the routers tho.
Only played with a friends Belkin router once. Wasnt to impressed.

PC World are without a doubt, 110% useless.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38   #41
orb505
Inactive

orb505 is on a distinguished roadorb505 is on a distinguished road

We have a guy on our IT telephone support desk who is ex-PC World.

If his knowledge (or lack of) is anything to judge by then you should visit your local PC World branch regulary and remind them to breathe.
orb505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 15:18   #42
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
Only played with a friends Belkin router once. Wasnt to impressed.

PC World are without a doubt, 110% useless.
switches are simpler less to screw up as its got no cli/webinterface
Old 12-05-2007, 16:11   #43
Icoms07
Inactive

Icoms07 is on a distinguished roadIcoms07 is on a distinguished road

Did your friend make it clear that he had DSL cable Broadband?
To be fair, the majority of broadband users in the uk do have ADSL so if your not so s**t hot mate didnt know the difference between the 2, how can it be the reps fault?
Icoms07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 18:25   #44
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icoms07 View Post
To be fair, the majority of broadband users in the uk do have ADSL so if your not so s**t hot mate didnt know the difference between the 2, how can it be the reps fault?
Indeed. Most people don't know what an ISP is let alone who theirs is, and whether it's ADSL or Cable.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 18:44   #45
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icoms07 View Post
You go into a shop with a recommendation from sourceswho knows what they are about then pick up said router only to be told something wrong from staff????? it is the reps fault

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
Indeed. Most people don't know what an ISP is let alone who theirs is, and whether it's ADSL or Cable.
see above