Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | High Gain Antenna

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

High Gain Antenna

Old 03-10-2007, 10:22   #1
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light
High Gain Antenna

Has anyone used or have experience with the use of high gain antenna over the basic antenna supplied with routers? I'm looking at setting a set of the high gain ones for my wrt54gs as the signal is not very good around the house due to it being an old house with pretty solid walls.

I got a wrt54gs which is running dd-wrt firmware and a matched wmp54gs speedboost card so i would have expcted performance to be better than it is, connects at 36meg on a good day and downloads at ~10megs, so half of the speed i should be getting.

Will a set of these http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index...&product_id=15 improve the signal by much or are do you think they would be a waste of money
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2007, 11:11   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: High Gain Antenna

I suspect that will only make a little difference. What aerial do you have already?

Have a look round this place:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/
They have lots of good information.

I have experience of their NET-WL-ANT-015ON (or something very similar) on the end of ~10m of their very fat cable. This allows coverage of a whole factory.

I also have experience of one of these on a mag-mount and a short piece of very thin cable.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Computer+...sp?sku=CS12466
Frankly, it makes very little difference to the reception.

If you want something that works every time then I'd look for something like the first solution.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 13:01   #3
Richy99
Inactive

Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

its curently on the stanrd antenna that come with the router and wireless card

will take a look at the links when i get time, cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 02:39   #4
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

directional 3rd party ones are your better bet, but again remember the higher the dBi the better, its generally worked out as, for every extra 3 dBi, you get almost twice the distance on line of site, and around a 3rd extra power inside.

these seem to work fine for me on one end, if you put one one each end (assuming a router and a single PC/laptop) and point them at each other then you will get far better power levels
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...l#post34259377

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

you can also buy or make yourself a simple wireless reflector and place them on your current wireless router arials and point them in the direction you want to go.

i also find all wireless routers iv had, are best positionad as high up on your room/building as possible for best coverage, i for instance have mine upstairs and the downstairs PCs seem to get a far better power rating that way rather than when the routers on the same ground level.

if you have steel reinforced concreate floors then it might be a problem, but its far easyer for radio to travel through plasterboard and wood floors, than brick walls.

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

i had a URL for some very nice and cheap commercial set of small wireless router reflectors but cant seem to find it right now so just use some card and a coke can as per the above for cheap

---------- Post added at 02:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

"I have experience of their NET-WL-ANT-015ON (or something very similar) on the end of ~10m of their very fat cable. This allows coverage of a whole factory."

given the cost of that 30foot+ lowloss cable plus the big dBi loss you get from the pigtail (the bit that converts from the big end cable connector to the small wireless card connector) it sounds like you would have been better and cheaper just puting the wireless router with the high gain arials up there, and running a RJ45 Ethernet cable+ cheap POE converter down to your PC.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 14:05   #5
fatassmichael
Inactive

Services: Vip 50 with Tivo
fatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nicefatassmichael is just really nice

In dd-wrt, have you tried setting the "afterburner" option to on? Have you also tried upping the Xmit power?
fatassmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 16:08   #6
Richy99
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatassmichael View Post
In dd-wrt, have you tried setting the "afterburner" option to on? Have you also tried upping the Xmit power?

i have been running at 80xmit power since i put ther firmware o na few months ago

afterburner has always been enabled