Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2019, 14:05   #1651
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Wow, if we lived by that we’d accomplish nothing.

Everyday in life is a risk.

People have looked at Brexit and believe it is worth the risk.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

That didn’t answer the question, but it’s OK because I know you can’t answer the question, because you’re not a fortune teller.
Usually assessed, mitigated, and managed risk(s).

When we cross the road, we don’t walk blindly across, assuming everything will be fine.

When we drive or cars, we (should) ensure they are safe, we’re wearing seat belts, and we continually check for upcoming problems (other drivers, people walking out in front of us).

We don’t live life assuming everything will be fine, we balance risks with rewards, usually quantifiable.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2019, 14:05   #1652
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Alas, it doesn't assist your argument. You said "In the opinion of most leavers, it is perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal."
There is nothing in that article to support your statement.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

As I've said before, it's a great name for a party, a clear offer to voters and he should never, ever be under estimated. A Sky News article makes the same point in more depth.
https://news.sky.com/story/labour-an...-real-11695821
The article was not provided to answer that question. It was to answer the other question you posed in your post.
Old 17-04-2019, 14:17   #1653
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The article was not provided to answer that question. It was to answer the other question you posed in your post.
There's only one question in my post - something to support the statement that "In the opinion of most leavers, it is perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal."
One person's article even if he is an MEP does not support the "most leavers" statement.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Usually assessed, mitigated, and managed risk(s).

When we cross the road, we don’t walk blindly across, assuming everything will be fine.

When we drive or cars, we (should) ensure they are safe, we’re wearing seat belts, and we continually check for upcoming problems (other drivers, people walking out in front of us).

We don’t live life assuming everything will be fine, we balance risks with rewards, usually quantifiable.
Wealth-creating Business has looked at Brexit in a dispassionate manner. Most - including Virgin Media - have said the disadvantages far outweigh any advantages.
Old 17-04-2019, 14:34   #1654
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
As I expected! But this poll will be rubbished by those pesky remainders who deny the vote of the referendum.

If we have to fight the European elections, the current parties in Parliament will regret it.
Who is rubbishing it? as l for one won't but some others will if it does not suit their own personal political agenda of dismissing polls that they don't like the look of and bigging up the ones that they do like the look of.
Old 17-04-2019, 14:41   #1655
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Here’s a graphic from Guido just in case anyone is in any doubt as to the signifcance of today’s poll.

Even if these results wee pushing at the very edge of the margin of error (3 points, plus or minus) the Brexit party would be within 1 point of first place.

Of course the margin of error swings both ways and they could be 8 or more points clear.
Attached Images
File Type: png 919334C9-E7D1-4408-A8F7-511503565774.png (7.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 17-04-2019, 14:56   #1656
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
As I expected! But this poll will be rubbished by those pesky remainders who deny the vote of the referendum.

If we have to fight the European elections, the current parties in Parliament will regret it.
I'm not sure that language is condusive to sensible debate, old Boy. I'm sure the elections will happen and I'm sure the Brexit Party will do well. It says what it does on the tin.
Old 17-04-2019, 16:32   #1657
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That didn’t answer the question, but it’s OK because I know you can’t answer the question, because you’re not a fortune teller.
But on the balance of probabilities, freedom of movement and programs like Erasmus+ will continue to exist in the EU and those are of benefit for young people
Old 17-04-2019, 17:29   #1658
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
But on the balance of probabilities, freedom of movement and programs like Erasmus+ will continue to exist in the EU and those are of benefit for young people

The problem is, to misquote, not all young people are created equal. I can't see the majority of the UK unemployed youngsters rushing off to work in factories, hotels, fast food outlets or nursing homes in the Eastern European Countries . . . can you?
Old 17-04-2019, 18:11   #1659
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
There's only one question in my post - something to support the statement that "In the opinion of most leavers, it is perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal."
One person's article even if he is an MEP does not support the "most leavers" statement.
I thought the emphasis in your question was relating to my statement that it was perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal.Hence, the link that I posted.

As far as the statement I made about 'most leavers thinking that was possible' is concerned, I guess I was relying on the conversations I have been having with many acquaintences who are leavers, as well as reactions that I have noted from interviews with the public. Nothing scientific, but a fairly large sample of people all in all.

It is quite noticeable when you talk to leavers how positive they are about the opportunities out there for the taking when we leave, whereas most remainers I have noticed are very negative 'cup half empty' types. I guess it is natural for people who only see problems and regard any change as a threat to vote to remain. It makes sense to people who have that mindset.
Old 17-04-2019, 18:12   #1660
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Half of the electorate support some form of Brexit or another. I, for one, am shocked that a single issue party in a meaningless election didn’t score higher.

Evidence that support for Brexit is eroding for me.
Old 17-04-2019, 18:14   #1661
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
The problem is, to misquote, not all young people are created equal. I can't see the majority of the UK unemployed youngsters rushing off to work in factories, hotels, fast food outlets or nursing homes in the Eastern European Countries . . . can you?
Well, since they don’t rush to do it here, it’s unlikely.

Last edited by Hugh; 17-04-2019 at 21:32.
Old 17-04-2019, 18:14   #1662
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I'm not sure that language is condusive to sensible debate, old Boy. I'm sure the elections will happen and I'm sure the Brexit Party will do well. It says what it does on the tin.
My wrath is reserved for those remainers who are trying to overturn our democratic referendum vote. Not all remainers, by any means.
Old 17-04-2019, 18:15   #1663
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I thought the emphasis in your question was relating to my statement that it was perfectly possible to leave in an orderly fashion without a deal.Hence, the link that I posted.

As far as the statement I made about 'most leavers thinking that was possible' is concerned, I guess I was relying on the conversations I have been having with many acquaintences who are leavers, as well as reactions that I have noted from interviews with the public. Nothing scientific, but a fairly large sample of people all in all.

It is quite noticeable when you talk to leavers how positive they are about the opportunities out there for the taking when we leave, whereas most remainers I have noticed are very negative 'cup half empty' types. I guess it is natural for people who only see problems and regard any change as a threat to vote to remain. It makes sense to people who have that mindset.
You seem to confuse "identifying and assessing impacts of issues" with "very negative".
Old 17-04-2019, 18:20   #1664
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Correct, in which bit about Brexit are we doing that?
Old 17-04-2019, 18:21   #1665
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You seem to confuse "identifying and assessing impacts of issues" with "very negative".
Yes, but what they are not doing is balancing their perceived impacts against the opportunities. Added to that, the impacts they perceive are magnified to give a completely false picture.

To hear some of them go on, you'd think that there will be no more trade with the EU and France will be difficult with us at the border, even though they know perfectly well that any deliberate attempt to slow our exports down will be met by reciprocation for the goods they want us to import.

We will co-operate with the EU after we've left and they will co-operate with us. This makes sense to both sides.
Closed Thread