Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone line with out internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Phone line with out internet

Old 12-01-2019, 16:46   #1
i am not scouse
cf.member

Services: 65"Samsung 4k tv. X2 v6 x3tivo's 200mb bb and a phone line I don't use.
i am not scouse is on a distinguished roadi am not scouse is on a distinguished road
Phone line with out internet

Hi advice needed. My sister who speaks to virgin on my dad's behalf phoned them to ask for a phone interview to be installed (he currently only has tv) but she was told he would have to take a superhub/internet as they no longer do just phonelines in his area. Surely this can't be true.he was only after this as he's getting old and needs it for his fall alert. He really doesn't want leave virgin but if true he's going to have to leave.
i am not scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2019, 17:26   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Phone line with out internet

In some areas new home phone installs are now via the Hub based phone service now I believe.

Virgin's aim is that everyone will eventually be moved over to the new phone service, but they can't do that until they stop adding customers on the older phone technology.
Old 12-01-2019, 18:20   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Phoneline charge will disappear soon I reckon, and just be lumped-in with all the other charges.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 19:46   #4
i am not scouse
cf.member

Services: 65"Samsung 4k tv. X2 v6 x3tivo's 200mb bb and a phone line I don't use.
i am not scouse is on a distinguished roadi am not scouse is on a distinguished road

It's still a load of BS on Virgins behalf. He used to have a phone line with them years ago so I know the wires are still there. So why should someone pay for something they are never going to use? He's 74 so has no interest in internet.
Old 12-01-2019, 20:53   #5
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am not scouse View Post
It's still a load of BS on Virgins behalf. He used to have a phone line with them years ago so I know the wires are still there. So why should someone pay for something they are never going to use? He's 74 so has no interest in internet.

My dads 80 next year and would be lost without the net.
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 21:06   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Virgin will move everyone over to the VoIP based phone service eventually in one form or another.
Old 12-01-2019, 21:57   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Phoneline charge will disappear soon I reckon, and just be lumped-in with all the other charges.
Highly likely l would say but the price won't go down though.
Old 13-01-2019, 08:48   #8
i am not scouse
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
My dads 80 next year and would be lost without the net.
Horses for courses mate
Old 05-02-2019, 16:07   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Virgins POTS infrastructure is getting to the point where it is no longer maintainable. Its old technology now, so even new connections in existing areas may be VoIP.

Even the BT system is due to phase out POTS in the next 5 -6 years, so whoever you are with a landline phone will become a thing of the past.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:28   #10
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Maybe cheaper to get a line from BT if that is all he is wanting.
Old 05-02-2019, 22:22   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

You can get a hub3 that has no internet and just has the phone ports activated. I Installed one last week like that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:53   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Virgins POTS infrastructure is getting to the point where it is no longer maintainable. Its old technology now.
BT switched most of its exchanges to Digital between 1985 and 1995, with most of the larger exchanges using System X or System Y.
I was invloved in many change-overs in the Nottingham & Derby areas. It is old (up to 30 years) but still perfectly maintainable for a few more years.

As far as Im aware, the Nottingham VM exchanges are similar technology (Installed by Diamond/NTL). Like BT, they probably used the same technology in other areas.

I believe BT plans to shut down most of their old digigtal exchanges and switch to VIOP systems over the next 6 to 7 years.
I expect VM to do the same, possibly quicker, since they have far less exchanges.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 21:36   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I imagine they will all do it sooner or later, so it's pointless changing to another company if you don't want VOIP.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote