Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 08-02-2018, 23:20   #4996
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Tick a few off.

SW: The Last Jedi - 9/10

Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10
Old 08-02-2018, 23:51   #4997
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Currently watching it, so no rating yet. So far, however, it seems like a messily written generic Sci Fi film that they had a script for and thought "oh ****, we've written this script and got no way to market it", then decided to tie it to Cloverfield and release it with little or no advance publicity.

Good cast, good special FX. Largely wasted by the store so far.
Yep, I was right...

I give it 3 out of 10.

The good points.
The Cast. The special effects and the sets.
Now, the bad.

Everything else. The "story" is badly written, and is basically a collection of Sci Fi cliches (multiple universes? Check. Pretty looking multi cultural cast? Check. One character stuck in wrong universe? Check. Storyline about wonderful new tech that goes wrong? Check). This "story" is essentially a bad clone of a number of Star Trek stories, and is not told as well as any of them. Unfortunately, it lacks the humour and believable characters that are often present in Star Trek stories, particularly the TNG ones..

It seems like they bunged the Cloverfield name on to give them something to market the film with. Essentially, if the original Cloverfield is John Carpenter's Halloween, this is Halloween 3 (ie only a vague link between the two).

Had I actually paid for a cinema ticket, I would have actually felt ripped off.

Last edited by Stuart; 11-02-2018 at 00:52.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 00:58   #4998
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, last night, at the cinema, I saw the new Clint Eastwood directed film, "The 15:17 to Paris".

Interesting film telling the life stories of 3 US soldiers that prevented a terrorism related mass shooting on a Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris (the titular 15:17 to Paris). Generally it is good, apart from the fact that Clint took a gamble by having the 3 soldiers play themselves. They aren't great actors, so their performances, while they are playing themselves, seem a little off. I *think* Clint was trying to do something different, and say thank you to these men, but I think the film would have been better had they been played by professional actors.

6 out of ten, and I think had it had devent performances from the lead actors it might well have been 8.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:44   #4999
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last saw BREAKING IN (1989) on VHS

A good movie!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:44   #5000
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, last night, at the cinema, I saw the new Clint Eastwood directed film, "The 15:17 to Paris"
I really wanted to see this and it isn't on at my cinema. What an absolute joke. It is 9 screen cinema and flipping 50 Shades bla bla can be on every hour of the day but not a Clint Eastwood film. I am mega mardy now.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 23:10   #5001
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Well, last night, at the cinema, I saw the new Clint Eastwood directed film, "The 15:17 to Paris".

Interesting film telling the life stories of 3 US soldiers that prevented a terrorism related mass shooting on a Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris (the titular 15:17 to Paris). Generally it is good, apart from the fact that Clint took a gamble by having the 3 soldiers play themselves. They aren't great actors, so their performances, while they are playing themselves, seem a little off. I *think* Clint was trying to do something different, and say thank you to these men, but I think the film would have been better had they been played by professional actors.

6 out of ten, and I think had it had devent performances from the lead actors it might well have been 8.
Eastwood is increasingly letting politics enter his films in a way that harms them. All down hill from Mystic River.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 23:34   #5002
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I thought American Sniper was a superb film. I would love to have seen it get Best Film and Bradley Cooper Best Actor at the Oscars.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:15   #5003
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Maze Runner: The Death Cure 7/10.

A reasonable end to the trilogy, plenty of action, and humour (ok, only a little bit).
A bit predictable at times, you knew what was going to happen next, esp in the final parts, but hey.

One small problem was how long its been since the previous films, I could not remember a lot of what had happened in them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:26   #5004
General Maximus
Ran Away

Whenever i watch a sequel to a film or the next film in a series i always watch the previous one first. Strangely enough i could remember everything about the first one but only bits of the second. I watched both of them anyway on the two nights before i went to see Death Cure so i was in the zone.
I try to do the same thing with good tv series. I'll be watching the last episode of Homeland season 6 tonight before i watch 7x01.
Old 13-02-2018, 23:22   #5005
General Maximus
Ran Away

Black Panther: 8/10

Another excellent film from Marvel and imho very cleverly done. As soon as I saw the trailer I asked myself how they were going to have all that technology in an alleged backwards third world culture back they got the balance absolutely perfect and made it very believable. Same goes for the action; the scenes are superb and it isn't just a rehash of what we have seen in Captain America and Iron Man. I said "wow" a couple of times and again, they struck a perfect balance between the technological combat and the physical combat which Black Panther is supposed to do. It was all very believable as well, I said "shit" and "ow" a few times. The technological side of things is very clever and in keeping with their culture so it is all new stuff which we haven't seen before.
The music was very good (and better than Ragnarok), you have the normal orchestral soundtrack blended with African tribal style music which suited the tone of the film vry well.
The only negative (and it isn't really a negative) if I had to be picky is that there are a couple of one-liners which are supposed to be funny that aren't but it is trivial because there other bits which are supposed to be funny and are hilarious.

There are two post credit scenes, one about two mins after the main credits and another one right at the very end. You need to stay for the second one right at the end because it feeds directly into Infinity Wars.
Old 14-02-2018, 09:54   #5006
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Nice synopsis, oh if only DC could sort out their films.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 11:19   #5007
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Black Panther - 8/10.

Really enjoyed it.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 12:01   #5008
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Black Panther - also 8/10. One of the better superhero movies, good soundtrack. The African music really did add to the atmosphere of the film. Had one of the most interesting bad guys from a Marvel film too. Only Batman tends to do villains well IMO. Marvel's villains are a bit OTT.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:21   #5009
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Marvel's villains are a bit OTT.
I liked Dr Strange, I thought it was a bit different. You are right though, it was nice to have a normal down to earth human foe.

Brace yourself for Infinity Wars.
Old 19-02-2018, 12:03   #5010
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The Peanut Movie (Netflix) - great, gentle family friendly treat.