Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 15-11-2013, 11:52   #4261
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I received this as a birthday pressie on DVD. It was rather disappointing, so it's just as well I didn't go to the cinema.

The original Khan was a way better villain than the new, bland version, though Spock's description of him as the most dangerous threat they ever faced was exaggerated. I'd say the Doomsday Machine and that energy-eating space bacterium were worse.

Reversing the roles of who died of radiation poisoning and was restored to life is not an original touch. Carol Marcus' brief dishabille was appreciated (she is gorgeous, after all) but gratuitous.

I still can't accept Uhura gettin' it on with Spock. That's just wrong. So is Kirk being promoted from Ensign (and technically he didn't even graduate from Starfleet Academy!) straight to Captain. Even the original James T. Kirk couldn't have coped with that.

On the other hand, Scotty and Bones are dead on; both the actors have thoroughly nailed it. Even Chekov has his moments (though I can't accept that Kirk would've placed a green ensign in charge of Engineering - where was Scotty's deputy?)

But the worst mistake was simply throwing away the whole Section 31 mythos. In the original canon, Section 31 was in fact created as part of the Starfleet Charter. The name is a reference to the thirty-first section of that Charter, which in somewhat vague wording talks about the creation of an autonomous agency (see the novel Section 31: Cloak). In other words, even though Section 31 was a perversion of everything the Federation stood for, it was, nonetheless, a legitimately created agency. That was what was so intriguing about it; it was so cool for the Trek universe to acquire a dark corner or two.

And here's J.J. Adams just throwing it all away! I shudder to think what he's going to do to Star Wars...!
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2013, 12:56   #4262
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
That's pretty much what I'd score it.

It was better than the first Wolverine film, at least. But that's not a hard thing...

It did have some very good action sequences, but overall I found it... boring. I also didn't think much of the end, and I thought that Viper was a poor-man's Poison Ivy with added snakiness.

The best bit was the mid-credits sequence...
I thought the same about the credits sequence!
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 16:43   #4263
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I received this as a birthday pressie on DVD. It was rather disappointing, so it's just as well I didn't go to the cinema.

The original Khan was a way better villain than the new, bland version, though Spock's description of him as the most dangerous threat they ever faced was exaggerated. I'd say the Doomsday Machine and that energy-eating space bacterium were worse.

Reversing the roles of who died of radiation poisoning and was restored to life is not an original touch. Carol Marcus' brief dishabille was appreciated (she is gorgeous, after all) but gratuitous.

I still can't accept Uhura gettin' it on with Spock. That's just wrong. So is Kirk being promoted from Ensign (and technically he didn't even graduate from Starfleet Academy!) straight to Captain. Even the original James T. Kirk couldn't have coped with that.

On the other hand, Scotty and Bones are dead on; both the actors have thoroughly nailed it. Even Chekov has his moments (though I can't accept that Kirk would've placed a green ensign in charge of Engineering - where was Scotty's deputy?)

But the worst mistake was simply throwing away the whole Section 31 mythos. In the original canon, Section 31 was in fact created as part of the Starfleet Charter. The name is a reference to the thirty-first section of that Charter, which in somewhat vague wording talks about the creation of an autonomous agency (see the novel Section 31: Cloak). In other words, even though Section 31 was a perversion of everything the Federation stood for, it was, nonetheless, a legitimately created agency. That was what was so intriguing about it; it was so cool for the Trek universe to acquire a dark corner or two.

And here's J.J. Adams just throwing it all away! I shudder to think what he's going to do to Star Wars...!
If you view the films as a reboot and as someone that's never bothered to watch any of the series (Before my time) I think they're brilliant films. They appeal to the younger generation more than the die hard fans. As someone who wasn't at all interested in Star Trek, these films have got me hooked and waiting for a third.
Old 18-11-2013, 16:55   #4264
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The Hobbit 9/10

A excellent film in which Peter Jackson has again delivered the goods to Audiences.
Old 19-11-2013, 21:31   #4265
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Gravity 3D
8/10
Stunning film, marred a little by the Odeon's less than brilliant screen. If you go see this film, go IMAX.
Old 20-11-2013, 23:31   #4266
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

The Usual Suspects

Never bothered watching this up until now and I regret doing so.

Slow, Dull, fragmented and over-acted.

Basically a pretentious load of tosh - 1/10 and that's being generous
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:05   #4267
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Gravity 6/10 only movie that was in Imax up here. Seems as overrated as they come. For anyone that doesn't regularly watch in Imax you'll find this spectacular but for me it was just an average movie with a less than average cast.

Thor: The dark world 8/10. Hyped for Captain America now that looks much better than the original.
Old 23-11-2013, 03:41   #4268
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

Elisyium 9/10

I thought this was a good film, made a change from the usual ones ive seen, it had a good storyline but i think the movie could have been a bit better as it was set in the future 200 years, but they were driving around in cars from today, i thought that let the movie down, but the rest was really good.

Its on my top 20 list of films i like so i was pretty impressed.

---------- Post added at 03:41 ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
If you view the films as a reboot and as someone that's never bothered to watch any of the series (Before my time) I think they're brilliant films. They appeal to the younger generation more than the die hard fans. As someone who wasn't at all interested in Star Trek, these films have got me hooked and waiting for a third.

I agree, i think the new star trek films are brilliant, they do lack a certain thing but im not sure what, they have the music right, the characters are brilliant, but theres something missing.

Id love to see the 3rd film, i cant wait, any true trekkies will probably agree theres something missing but they pretty much got it nailed.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 12:24   #4269
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Headhunters - Norwegian film based on the Jo Nesbø novel. An art thief steals a valuable painting from the wrong person: a former spec-ops soldier. You can kind of guess the rest.

Excellent plot with loads of action and a smidgeon of dry humour although rather full of holes due to time constraints. Well worth a watch: 8/10
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 16:32   #4270
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Alpha Papa - 3/10.

Was never a massive Alan Partridge fan but decided to give it a go but it was largely unfunny. Michael the Geordie was always my favourite character and each time he appears he steals every scene in the film. It has one single funny line: "Dear God let them be firm" (if you've seen it, good - I didn't fancy explaining it...) and not long after that I switched it off, can't be bothered how it ends.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 10:02   #4271
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - watched off Netflix. Features the original Batman (Mr Adam West) at the start.

Ahead of its time, the Kids will love it. 9/10.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 17:56   #4272
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - watched off Netflix. Features the original Batman (Mr Adam West) at the start.

Ahead of its time, the Kids will love it. 9/10.
Too many years ago, in another life. One Xmas time or maybe it was New Year, I got very wrecked.

After staying out most all night I returned early in the morning and flaked out on the settee. When I came too, with the mummy and daddy of a huge hangover, I remember that movie was on our then, newish colour TV. I watched it through one eye and surprisingly enjoyed it before drifting off into oblivium once more.

Thanks for jogging an old memory.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 17:24   #4273
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Man of Steel

0/10

Appalling, disjointed mess of a film. Leading character had no personality whatsoever. Amy Adams looked puffy and confused. Russell Crowe crept about in corridors. Superhumans threw each other into buildings - over, and over and over again.

The whole evening was best summed up by the following:

'I need to pee, don't bother to pause it'
Old 30-11-2013, 21:49   #4274
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
Man of Steel

0/10

Appalling, disjointed mess of a film. Leading character had no personality whatsoever. Amy Adams looked puffy and confused. Russell Crowe crept about in corridors. Superhumans threw each other into buildings - over, and over and over again.

The whole evening was best summed up by the following:

'I need to pee, don't bother to pause it'
Each to their own I guess but this was one f my top movies of the year. Great Superman movie and did most things brilliantly.

He is Kal-El, he has a personality. Read any of the classic comics or old TV series.
Old 01-12-2013, 20:12   #4275
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Texas Chainsaw (2013)

1/10

Thankfully I was not expecting much from this, and I did not plan to watch it, but curiosity got the better of me. This was just pure drivel though, complete and utter dross. Predictable, with a very weak script and even worse acting. It offered nothing new or original and I did not care for any of the characters. Even if I had not seen (and loved) the original, I would still have detested this.

Words fail me for how poor this movie is.

The only bright spot from this was them showing some scenes from the original and seeing how they "finished it off."
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote