Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2008, 09:04   #7321
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
snip

I think we need to avoid getting too clever here.

Parasitic spyware is something Joe Bloggs understands. If you get too creative, he'll get confused.

Yes, but you need "eye catchers" in any campaign..for example ISPy as the header, followed by the explanation.
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2008, 09:08   #7322
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Parasitic spyware is something Joe Bloggs understands.
I may be underestimating the British population, but I do wonder if parasitic would be understood by all.

xxxware is very much a term used by people who know something about IT. I think also that people who have some knowledge would assume that it is something that gets installed on their PC and that with anti-spyware software they can avoid it. The key thing is that it is the ISPs doing it. ISP Spyware would be better.

If this gets implemented we've got to get users leaving the ISPs in droves.
Old 28-05-2008, 09:12   #7323
NTLVictim
Inactive

NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

contract to ISPyware?
Old 28-05-2008, 09:22   #7324
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
I'd suggest we need to identify the key facts that the phrase needs to convey:

I think ISP needs to be in there somewhere - to make it clear that it is individual ISP's doing it and suggest that switching gets away from the problem.

"Data" - I don't think that helps as it's a bit too nebulous - it's the fact that every page visited is being tracked is the issue rather than what data is collected as a result of the tracking

I wonder if linking in to a phrase people already recognise would work - something like "Big Brother ISPs"? That could link on to other headlines such as "Big Brother ISP's are watching YOU".

We've got to grab peoples attention and make them worried.

Edit: We've also got to steer clear of anything that means zilch to people without some IT knowledge - this needs to be aimed at he Sun reader.
"ISPy with my little Webwise"
Old 28-05-2008, 09:26   #7325
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
"ISPy with my little Webwise"
I'd keep clear of Phorm or Webwise in the main tag - they are not the only players and our campaign needs to be against them all. If Phorm crashes someone else will learn from it and step in.
Old 28-05-2008, 09:28   #7326
NTLVictim
Inactive

T shirt, anyone?

Webspies

..just click if you're thick.
Old 28-05-2008, 10:23   #7327
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I'd keep clear of Phorm or Webwise in the main tag - they are not the only players and our campaign needs to be against them all. If Phorm crashes someone else will learn from it and step in.
Whatever Slogan is decided upon I think that the ending is just as Important!

Something like "....... which cannot be blocked by AV or Ad Blockers!"
Old 28-05-2008, 10:44   #7328
NTLVictim
Inactive

share price..

1,200.000 [img]Download Failed (1)[/img] -12.50 -1.03%
Old 28-05-2008, 10:48   #7329
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Whatever Slogan is decided upon I think that the ending is just as Important!

Something like "....... which cannot be blocked by AV or Ad Blockers!"
Yes, that's a very important message to get across. I bet a lot of people are not bothered because they think the protection on their PC (firewall, AV, spyware blocker) will keep them safe. That's why I'd avoid any connotation with "spyware" - this is a far more insidious beast altogether.
Old 28-05-2008, 10:59   #7330
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Something I've put together
Old 28-05-2008, 11:18   #7331
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

I am away till Sunday bet it all goes pearshaped while am away or I will have a 100 pages to catch up no..

We are winning the campaign so far lets not be diverted from the main task phorm phree surfing...
Old 28-05-2008, 11:28   #7332
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Just to let you guys know that the hand of the BT Beta forum moderators is coming down again hard - just had an official warning for some fairly innocuous posts put on other BT Beta broadband forums to alert other users to the Webwise issue.
Could you not have a nice, simple anti-webwise avatar and a signature saying something along the lines of "Find out more at " (link to inphormationdesk)?

The avatar could even be something like a big "?"

Then just go and join every thread and talk about whatever the subject is. Don't mention Phorm or webwise.

EDIT : Looking through other threads there, few people seem to have avatars, so a 'catchy' one will stand out.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:34   #7333
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

I`ve notice some of the stuff everyone found out about BT`s trail and Phorm the bits left over from it they now vanishing, is it down to what been found and they forgot about it.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:37   #7334
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Something I've put together
I like the image but the text is missing the ISP element - the message conveyed is that you're being watched and there's sod all you can do about it.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:41   #7335
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I like the image but the text is missing the ISP element - the message conveyed is that you're being watched and there's sod all you can do about it.
Hi Jelv, I can alter the text to anything that folks think might be beneficial, if anyone else wants to tinker with it feel free
Closed Thread