Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BB Voting - have you been billed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

STB lights ?

Old 24-08-2004, 16:12   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
STB lights ?

Forgive me for only doing a cursory forum search, I am at my brothers in Woking, Surrey, using my old 333mhz laptop on a dial up connection. At home in Shaw I have two STB,s a 1000, and 2000 series. They have both been virtually trouble free for 2 years or more. My brother has Ntl DiTV (was anologue ) and his service seems very poor. The BBC interactive does not work. I managed to get past the BBC bridge and load the split screens but that was the best I could do, you could not move between screens or select the menu.
NIT appears on the STB on occasions and intermittant reboots have occurred.
His STB is a Ditv4010-N and I have two questions, I have tried up+down+blue but cannot reach the signal info pages or event log, is the procedure the same on this STB, also when both of my boxes are on and functioning correctly the top two indicator lights are on. On this box, when it is switched on only the channel number is displayed, no lights unless you press the remote, then one flashes and goes out, is this normal on 4010 boxes?
According to the handbook from Ntl, pressing "Help" button should bring up a box saying "Technical information" which should have a calibration figure, but in fact it brings up a completely different menu.
BTW, he is on Langley, mine is Bromley.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2004, 16:24   #2
Feenix
Inactive

Services: mushroom mushroom
Feenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to all
Re: STB lights ?

page up > page down > blue should bring up the small diagnostics menu on all STBs regardless of flavour.

There should also be two lights on the right hand side of the display - the top light is for power - the 2nd light down is for return path (connected to ntl) - the 3rd light is for the remote which will only flash when receiving input from the remote.

Pressing the help button should bring up the help menu

Occasional reboots are not too much to worry about - upgrades to the code on the STBs happens from time to time or for changes in your DiTV packages. On the other hand NIT being displayed is not too hot. Usually means really bad signal levels or a b0rked box - both of these issues will produce dodgy interactive services too.

Have you called CS to have a gander at the box from their end? They can have a look at lots of information regarding the signal levels and suchlike which might shed some light on it.
Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 16:27   #3
JonSav1
Inactive

JonSav1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JonSav1

It seems like the STB did not respond very well to the recent upgrade to CR3. You'll need to give faults a call i'm afraid, as there is not a lot you can do for yourself.

As far as the differences between the boxes, these are due to the differences in your areas. 1000 and 2000 stbs are typical of the Bromley network, 4000's are nearly all Langley.

HTH

~Jon
JonSav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 16:39   #4
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Thanks for the replies folks, there are definately no lights on at all. I suppose he could always move back up North for a better service.
Old 24-08-2004, 16:42   #5
Feenix
Inactive

Feenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to allFeenix is a name known to all

and cheaper bitter
Old 24-08-2004, 17:51   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's normal for there to be no lights on Langley boxes. The top LED comes on when in standby, and the middle one when IR codes are received. The bottom one isn't used. There is no "on" or "return path connected" light.

PageUp-PageDown-Blue should work. Note it only works when TV is showing; not the Mini-Guide.

(The "help" button was used to get the diagnostics at Langley CR2, but isn't any more).
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 18:11   #7
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSav1
It seems like the STB did not respond very well to the recent upgrade to CR3. You'll need to give faults a call i'm afraid, as there is not a lot you can do for yourself.

As far as the differences between the boxes, these are due to the differences in your areas. 1000 and 2000 stbs are typical of the Bromley network, 4000's are nearly all Langley.

HTH

~Jon
1000, 2000 and 4000 are Bromley boxes only, as is the Samsung at the moment. Langley boxes are either the 4010 (which is a 4000 with an extra DAVIC modem in), or one of the many flavours of 4001.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 18:21   #8
Feenix
Inactive

Bromley born and bred, me. Sorry for the dodgy info
Old 24-08-2004, 21:52   #9
JonSav1
Inactive

JonSav1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JonSav1
Talking Re: STB lights ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan
1000, 2000 and 4000 are Bromley boxes only, as is the Samsung at the moment. Langley boxes are either the 4010 (which is a 4000 with an extra DAVIC modem in), or one of the many flavours of 4001.
I tell you what Tris' - you know your stuff. Thanks for correcting my posts for me!

~Jon
JonSav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 11:31   #10
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
It's normal for there to be no lights on Langley boxes. The top LED comes on when in standby, and the middle one when IR codes are received. The bottom one isn't used. There is no "on" or "return path connected" light.

PageUp-PageDown-Blue should work. Note it only works when TV is showing; not the Mini-Guide.

(The "help" button was used to get the diagnostics at Langley CR2, but isn't any more).
Thanks for that update re lights. When any of the four buttons are pressed up, down, left or right, it instantly switches on the mini guide. pressing up+down+blue when in TV mode brings up first the mini guide then the reminders page.
Old 25-08-2004, 11:37   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
Thanks for that update re lights. When any of the four buttons are pressed up, down, left or right, it instantly switches on the mini guide. pressing up+down+blue when in TV mode brings up first the mini guide then the reminders page.
Aha! You need to press "PAGE up", not "up"
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 16:29   #12
Feenix
Inactive

don't press them all at once either - do it in sequence...
Old 25-08-2004, 16:44   #13
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Aha! You need to press "PAGE up", not "up"
DOH! Me being a bozo, have done this many times at home, different remote + brain malfunction, that's my excuse.
Here are some figures
SNR 29.0db
Pre RS errors 446 per 0.5s
Post RS errors 0 per 0.5s
AGC Signal Level 372
RF Channel 65
Return power +55dBmV
Also says £30.00 credit, also... Card status..please wait, although it is reading the card number.Event log shows at least two..Lost Davic connection messages.
What does the £30.00 credit refer to?
Old 25-08-2004, 16:49   #14
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
What does the £30.00 credit refer to?
Limit on how much you can spend on Pay per view films/events per month or billing period.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 17:38   #15
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
Limit on how much you can spend on Pay per view films/events per month or billing period.
Actually the limit the box will hold before it has to be reported back to the network and recorded on central billing, when the £30 will reappear.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote