Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2019, 09:12   #5281
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Any proof of terminal decline at all would be helpful at all.

You, like Old Boy, are making the false assumption that current pay-tv companies do not adapt and decline to zero while streaming service subscriber penetration will rise to the sum total of human population.

Fanciful.
I don't think you are very alert to what is going on all around you. What I have been saying about the way linear channels will go in the UK is what has started happening now in the US. You keep demanding 'proof' of the future but you provide little in the way of proof that your desperate scenario will win the day.

That's because it won't. There's no point in my providing links for you. You just ignore them or try to find some strange excuse to discredit them.

What you are expressing is just your point of view which is not backed up in any way. I'm doing the same, but with back up information and in line with how the TV industry sees it.
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2019, 09:17   #5282
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
True, but it is a different method of delivery, as in Pluto TV.
So the goal posts have moved again , it's still linear TV and available in a guide.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:31   #5283
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So the goal posts have moved again , it's still linear TV and available in a guide.
No movement of goalposts. It's IPTV.

Nobody has said that linear viewing will not be possible - after all, that's how we watch sport. It's the conventionally broadcast channels that will be disappearing.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:39   #5284
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Its alright MM he will open his eyes in a minute and realise that..

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 ----------

Quote:

Nobody has said that linear viewing will not be possible - after all, that's how we watch sport. It's the conventionally broadcast channels that will be disappearing.
Bollocks...

---------- Post added at 08:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

Quote:
I don't think you are very alert to what is going on all around you. What I have been saying about the way linear channels will go in the UK is what has started happening now in the US. You keep demanding 'proof' of the future but you provide little in the way of proof that your desperate scenario will win the day.

That's because it won't. There's no point in my providing links for you. You just ignore them or try to find some strange excuse to discredit them.

What you are expressing is just your point of view which is not backed up in any way. I'm doing the same, but with back up information and in line with how the TV industry sees it.
What you mean is you don't like other peoples opinions because they threaten and discredit your own biased ones.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:46   #5285
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What you mean is you don't like other peoples opinions because they threaten and discredit your own biased ones.
This is a forum and anyone is entitled to express their opinions. What I object to is when posts are put up here declaring that you are wrong when a perfectly reasonable argument and links are put forward and objectors don't even bother backing up why they disagree. But it's all par for the course on this forum.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:47   #5286
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’m very alert to what is going on around me. Streaming is changing the way users consume television (and including pay television).

My “desperate scenario” as you put it is that people will continue to consume television in a variety of means: linear, time shifted and on demand from a variety of providers (including streaming providers). Hardly desperate or controversial?

You, on the other hand, are claiming the market will revolutionise yet can’t explain why basic economics (affordability of sports rights for example) doesn’t apply to streamers. You have to demonstrate how linear reaches zero and that Liberty, Comcast etc cannot adapt. I don’t have a high bar to demonstrate that people enjoy (and will continue to do so) the current broad range of offerings.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:49   #5287
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
This is a forum and anyone is entitled to express their opinions. What I object to is when posts are put up here declaring that you are wrong when a perfectly reasonable argument and links are put forward and objectors don't even bother backing up why they disagree. But it's all par for the course on this forum.
l do not disagree.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:50   #5288
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

IPTV is just the delivery method the same as Satellite or cable.

Those broadcast channels still available in the US ? A country with far higher numbers cord cutting.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:51   #5289
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
You might think they are reasoned but obviously others don't.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:53   #5290
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You might think they are reasoned but obviously others don't.
Because they are unreasonable
Old 14-05-2019, 09:55   #5291
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
A bit like "The Pot Calling the Kettle Black".....

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

Quote:
Because they are unreasonable
In your opinion OB..
Old 14-05-2019, 10:09   #5292
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
IPTV is just the delivery method the same as Satellite or cable.

Those broadcast channels still available in the US ? A country with far higher numbers cord cutting.
Yes, we are talking about the delivery method, aren't we? How many times have I got to clarify that the channels in decline will be the traditionally broadcast linear channels to make this clear and avoid all the pedantry that goes on here about the terminology used? You know exactly what I'm referring to.

Nobody has said that cable and satellite channels are not available in the US. However, they are in decline, as the links have confirmed.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m very alert to what is going on around me. Streaming is changing the way users consume television (and including pay television).

My “desperate scenario” as you put it is that people will continue to consume television in a variety of means: linear, time shifted and on demand from a variety of providers (including streaming providers). Hardly desperate or controversial?

You, on the other hand, are claiming the market will revolutionise yet can’t explain why basic economics (affordability of sports rights for example) doesn’t apply to streamers. You have to demonstrate how linear reaches zero and that Liberty, Comcast etc cannot adapt. I don’t have a high bar to demonstrate that people enjoy (and will continue to do so) the current broad range of offerings.
I don't disagree with your first two paragraphs. Except the 'desperate' bit.

I cannot understand why you are, I think, suggesting that streamers will not be able to afford to stream live sport. They already do. Presumably you are referring to my comment that sport might well be cheaper, and I stand by that. Amazon is a good example. A reduced price for sport could draw more people into their Prime retail service.

I said many moons ago that it is possible that the linear channels could be saved if they were able to adapt in some way, but I have seen no signs of that and frankly at the moment I cannot envisage what such an adaption could possibly be. On demand viewing is so much more convenient, and without advertisements, time wasting is eliminated. AVOD will still be available of course, but most people who can afford it will take the ad-free versions of their most used streaming services.

You have acknowledged that streaming is becoming more popular. There will inevitably come a point when this trend tips so far as to make the linears no longer worthwhile.

Just sit back and watch this play out. It will take a few years (Den please note)!
Old 14-05-2019, 10:10   #5293
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I'd suggest looking at some of the services I've listed above , I believe you'll find they carry lots of linear broadcast channels but then that doesn't fit with your beliefs does it.
Old 14-05-2019, 10:20   #5294
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

'The traditionally broadcast linear channels' are by far the most reliable means of getting programmes into homes, whether by aerial, satellite or cable. What is the logic of sending the same set times programmes over the internet which continues to be prone to all sorts of go slows and outages, especially as the current systems have had years of development to improve performance and reliability?
Old 14-05-2019, 11:23   #5295
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
'The traditionally broadcast linear channels' are by far the most reliable means of getting programmes into homes, whether by aerial, satellite or cable. What is the logic of sending the same set times programmes over the internet which continues to be prone to all sorts of go slows and outages, especially as the current systems have had years of development to improve performance and reliability?
This is an important consideration.

Plenty of “outdated” technology survives because of simplicity/ease of access. I’m sure we’d all agree DAB and FM radio are superior to MW radio for instance.
Closed Thread