Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2008, 17:51   #9181
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

just informed more people of whats going on, on different forums none IT related places of the e-petition and they started to sign it also links to all the info they need to make a informed choice.
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2008, 18:07   #9182
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
" . Web wise?
.. Web lies
... Web spies"

Cough.

But they do get buried quick on here, don't they?
should that not be

. Web Wise?
.. Web Spies
... BT Lies

Peter
Old 17-06-2008, 18:57   #9183
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

found it, back on page 489..theres more somewhere.

Webspies

..just click if you're thick.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

should fit on a4....

BT..
rayal

BT sold your privacy last summer.
What are you going to do about it?

nodpi.org
badphorm.co.uk
dephormation.org.uk

Old 17-06-2008, 19:59   #9184
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

Just looking at site stats for http://www.DoNotTrustWebwise.org.

Browser Summary section...

1. Firefox, 2. IE... down in 15th place "Kent Ertugrul is a C*nt".

LMAO
Old 17-06-2008, 20:18   #9185
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Just looking at site stats for http://www.DoNotTrustWebwise.org.

Browser Summary section...

1. Firefox, 2. IE... down in 15th place "Kent Ertugrul is a C*nt".

LMAO
Hey! What a good idea: Added 'Stop Phorm/Webwise Spyware' to my user agent string.

Firefox users, do type: about:config in the address bar and search for 'agent'.
Old 17-06-2008, 20:29   #9186
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Firefox users, do type: about:config in the address bar and search for 'agent'.
Or, for Firefox users, install the User Agent Switcher add-on

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

and you can have multiple UA strings to choose from...
Old 17-06-2008, 20:49   #9187
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

https://nodpi.org/events/

Can people let me know if they think I need to add more or come up with any suggestions for changes please.

Alexander Hanff
Old 17-06-2008, 20:50   #9188
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
More rumour, this received from a trusted friend...

"BT recently asked all their staff from across the whole group (not just BT retail) what they thought of Phorm/Webwise. Not a single person from within BT responded with a positive comment."

Anyone with friends in BT able to confirm?
The BT guy I'm working with hasn't got it, but that's not to say such a survey didn't got out. He says many people feel strongly internally about Phorm so I'm guessing if such an email exists then someone would leak it at some point.

Anyone offering?!
Old 17-06-2008, 20:53   #9189
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Hee, hee....sorry, still laughing..just got this;

"Hello there,

We’re really proud of our broadband service. And because we want it stay ahead of the competition, we're always looking for ways to make things better. So we'd like to hear your opinions on our latest ideas.

We’ve put together this short survey about a new 'online storage' service we've been considering. We'd appreciate it if you could spend five to ten minutes filling it out to help us find out what you think. We promise to use your answers to help us make it the best it can be.

If you’d like to take part, you’ve got until the 27th of June to fill it out.

To get started, just click below. Thanks for your help!"

ooh..proud of our broadband service.....ha...hah, ooh me ribs...
Presumably this is from VM? via email?
Is it for selected customers as I haven't received anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper
What is with this government? Are they never satisfied?
Old 17-06-2008, 20:59   #9190
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
The BT guy I'm working with hasn't got it, but that's not to say such a survey didn't got out. He says many people feel strongly internally about Phorm so I'm guessing if such an email exists then someone would leak it at some point.

Anyone offering?!

intersting comment, i assume the strong feelings are agianst, but for what reason,

1:-see bits of the network being outsource to trusted partners?

2:-put under pressure to provide systems internally that provide income like phorm

3:- being told by trusted partners how to configure the network for them and lower security

peter
Old 17-06-2008, 21:08   #9191
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Presumably this is from VM? via email?
Is it for selected customers as I haven't received anything.

What is with this government? Are they never satisfied?
Brown is paranoid
Old 17-06-2008, 21:15   #9192
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
intersting comment, i assume the strong feelings are agianst, but for what reason,

1:-see bits of the network being outsource to trusted partners?

2:-put under pressure to provide systems internally that provide income like phorm

3:- being told by trusted partners how to configure the network for them and lower security

peter
I'll ask but I'm almost sure it's an idealistic view as a networks expert like myself that this is such a cludge, at the edge of what the protocols allow (HTTP, cookies), filthy implementation (redirects), additional bottlenecks and points of failure to the network.

It would be interested to know how less technical people in BT feel about it!
Old 17-06-2008, 21:25   #9193
Phormic Acid
Inactive

Services: Still to decide on Aquiss or Be
Phormic Acid is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
I have it on very good authority that on the absense of any cookies on your machine, and the absense of an account-level opt-out, users will ALWAYS be presented with Phorm's interstitial request for consent. That is, the default user state will be C.).

This could seriously break a whole range of application which use HTTP to do something other than browsing, yet use IE as a browser identifier
The page will also end up in lots of strange places. Many Windows applications that embed Internet Explorer to fetch and render HTML content will end up showing the interstitial page. This will happen with Windows Media Player. It could even happen during an attempt to acquire DRM rights. The following are the relevant headers from a sequence of such HTTP requests. Long argument lists have been replaced with an asterisk.
GET /15478/live/reflector:48642.asx?bkup=48685 HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Windows-Media-Player/11.0.5721.5145
Host: mfile.akamai.com
This is ok. It's a different user agent.
POST /services/WMLicense?* HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Windows-Media-DRM/11.0.5721.5145
Host: man.channel4.com
This is ok. It's both a different user agent and a POST.
POST /services/WMLicense?* HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Host: man.channel4.com
This is ok. It's a POST.
GET /player/console/drmConsole.html?* HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Host: geo.channel4.com
This request might be replaced by the interstitial notice page. While Phorm could code their layer-seven switches to avoid certain instances of this and the sort of problem suggested by oblonsky, there is no general solution. It’s as intractable as avoiding all web-based email.

As well as the interstitial page having the potential to cause problems, the redirection process needed to copy a Webwise UID cookie into other websites’ domains causes a fundamental change in the nature of web browsing. The website that a person is actively trying to reach should be a first-party website, with first-party cookies. After the redirections, it becomes a third-party website, with third-party cookies that may get blocked.

I won’t argue that, on many occasions, Webwise’s trickery will pass off without hitch. However, even with a 99.9% success rate, every one million page redirections would equal one thousand problems.
Old 17-06-2008, 21:26   #9194
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Hi All, I received the e-mail from Virgin Media (below) a couple of days ago ref. a query about my bill, unfortunately my query was not about my bill, it was about a TV "Smart Card"! However I did take part in the survey and took the opportunity to make them aware of my feelings towards Phorm!

Dave.

Hi, xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for getting in touch with our team recently about the query you had with your Virgin Media bill. We hope that things are now sorted out for you.

In fact, that's what we're writing about. At Virgin Media, we want to make sure we give you the best customer service out there. So we'd really like to find out how things went for you when we dealt with your bill query.

We've put together a few quick questions about how things went, and we'd really appreciate it if you'd take the time to let us know your thoughts. It shouldn't take longer than around one minute to complete.

By finding out exactly how things went for you, we'll be able to understand the things we're getting right, and if there's anything you'd like us to do better. And we promise to use your feedback to make improvements where we can.

If you'd like to take part in our survey, just click the web address below. Or you can simply cut and paste the entire web address into the web address box of your internet browser.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Yours sincerely,

The whole team at Virgin Media
Old 17-06-2008, 21:35   #9195
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethejag View Post
If you'd like to take part in our survey, just click the web address below. Or you can simply cut and paste the entire web address into the web address box of your internet browser.

Yours sincerely,

The whole team at Virgin Media
And the web address is?
Closed Thread