Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:51   #6181
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I don't actually WANT to keep google or phorm out of this test site by robots.txt - I want to use it as a test site - but IF I wanted to use the official declared robots.txt method of banning Phorm/Webwise, I can't see any way of doing it.

And if the official way of doing this, recommened by my Webwise-prone ISP is actually not possible on ISP webspace provided by the same ISP, don't THEY have a problem?

Anyway - I'll throw this at them and see what happens and keep you posted.
The free hosting with your ISP is not always thrown open to general public, many of those sites are family orinated with links only handed around the family due to idetifyable data in them.

With the why BT has this at present these will be harvested..

Over PM a friend suggested as a test to see if VM are running phorm if all VM customers started to visit websites like ISPreview ADSLguide and BT to amke it look like you are thinking of moving, then see if any adverts about specioal offers arive on your screen.
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2008, 12:52   #6182
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

with BT they can use opt in without cookies, they can use the hubs of the a/c holders like they do with their BT fon opt in, but clearly they don`t wont opt in do they.
Old 09-05-2008, 13:44   #6183
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarron View Post
See may post above : The sensative parts of my websites can only be viewed once logged on. Phorm cannot know if the user has logged on and therefore cannot know the data has implied consent or not. I do not need meta tags or robots.txt to prevent Google from seeing this data as Google (other search engines) cannot see them. If I have to use meta tags or robots.txt then I am being asked to Opt-Out which is not legal!
BT have said to me that their Webwise will not profile pages that are password protected - ie behind a logon. They havne't explained HOW that works, and of course the basic interception of the traffic (though not the profiling in theory) still occurs anyway if the visitor is a Webwise user.
Old 09-05-2008, 13:50   #6184
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BT have said to me that their Webwise will not profile pages that are password protected - ie behind a logon. They havne't explained HOW that works, and of course the basic interception of the traffic (though not the profiling in theory) still occurs anyway if the visitor is a Webwise user.
I do not think they can know if the user is logged on or not. They would have to be able to examine the status of the site cookies and be able to interpret them. Also a laptop owner could be logged on at one location (none phormed) and then take it to another location (phormed) still logged on.
Old 09-05-2008, 14:20   #6185
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

one way round this then is to set up your first page as a brief outline of your plans and reason why they have to login thern website behind this login page.

Nothign Phorm can harvest once they login.
Old 09-05-2008, 14:20   #6186
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Some big news in the press today re: DPA. Some may find it strange that an article about paparazzi taking photos of J K Rowling's son might be relevant to Phorm but let me explain why it is relevant.

The Judge has ruled that if other laws relating to privacy have been breached then as a result the DPA is breached as well as the processing of any data which has been obtained through a breach of a another law (such as RIPA, CMA etc etc etc.) that processing becomes unlawful under the DPA.

This is a pretty big story, it will be interesting to see more legal analysis coming out in the next few days on it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...rivacy_ruling/

Now lets see ICO try to wriggle out of that one...

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-05-2008, 14:24   #6187
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
What the fudge?!
http://www.londonstockexchange.com/e...IM+B1WTNC4PHRM

How can the trade of (edit)7000 shares bump the price up by 20-odd%?
Might we see the PIA today?

I fully expect the share price to jump on the back of that and maybe some small investors are thinking the same. A good way to make money on a short term blip.
Old 09-05-2008, 14:29   #6188
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
one way round this then is to set up your first page as a brief outline of your plans and reason why they have to login thern website behind this login page.

Nothign Phorm can harvest once they login.
The problem is that there is no way that phorm can know if the page the user is viewing is behind a logon or not. So it will always profile the user's page if it is on http.
Search engines on the other hand will never profile the pages as they need the user to logon for them, so Phorms statement that they are better then Google is an outright lie.
Old 09-05-2008, 14:29   #6189
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Might we see the PIA today?

I fully expect the share price to jump on the back of that and maybe some small investors are thinking the same. A good way to make money on a short term blip.
Just look at the size of the trades, it is blatantly obvious that there is a very serious effort to ramp the stock, very small trades selling at high prices.

I would suggest someone has a lot of shares they want to dump but they don't want to make a huge loss on them (bought them at 20+) so they are trying to get the price up in order to dump them again.

There certainly isn't any news I can find anywhere (not even on Phorm's site) which can otherwise account for today's market activity.

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-05-2008, 14:32   #6190
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
{snip}
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...rivacy_ruling/

Now lets see ICO try to wriggle out of that one...

Alexander Hanff
And the author of the register piece is out-law.com!
Old 09-05-2008, 14:33   #6191
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
And the author of the register piece is out-law.com!
They often write articles for El Reg.

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-05-2008, 14:39   #6192
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Alexander (or anyone else interested in commercial exploitation of copyright content)

I'd be very grateful if you'd take a look at this thread on BadPhorm, and share your thoughts.

I think there may be a way to obliterate Phorm using a combination of UID leakage, copyright law, royalties and invoicing for unauthorised commercial exploitation.

Pete
Old 09-05-2008, 14:41   #6193
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Alexander (or anyone else interested in commercial exploitation of copyright content)

I'd be very grateful if you'd take a look at this thread on BadPhorm, and share your thoughts.

I think there may be a way to obliterate Phorm using a combination of UID leakage, copyright law, royalties and invoicing for unauthorised commercial exploitation.

Pete
Pete, I will have a looksie later, I am up to my neck in work at the moment. I have two pieces to hand in in the next couple of hours.

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-05-2008, 15:01   #6194
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post

Pete
I like the idea and although I don't know enough about the legal side to comment, the thought of BT up before the beak for breach of the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 puts a big grin on my face.

---

Just one thought. A week or so ago, I think it was R Jones who mentioned that BT had offered to exclude domains from the system (by opt out).

Presumably the first invoice they receive will show the domains of the participant, which they would then exclude and thus no more forged cookies to detect.

Leaving aside the issue of the invoice actually being paid, you would need to generate a lot of publicity to recruit new members for the following month.

I don't suppose that would be a problem though as there will be enough people who either hate phorm or would want a slice of any potential income.

I also think the invoicing, if done centrally, would need to be done in such a way as to allow each individual site owner to pursue payment through the small claims court. (rather than one action on behalf of all owners.)

Presumably an ISP deploying phorm would imply consent to being included in your system.

You should float this on AIM. It's a much more robust business model than Kent's idea.
Old 09-05-2008, 15:22   #6195
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
Not content with lodging the Early Day Motion to Parliament, Don Foster MP continues to ask awkward questions.
In his monthly newsletter, emailed to a huge number of his constituents (and available online), Don writes:

Rather proud to have Don as my MP.

Nice to see that Don Fosters Early Day Motion now has 46 MPs signed up (9th May 2008). I was disappoint to see that only 3 Tory MPs have signed it, I thought the Tories were trying to escape from "the nasty party" image of yesteryear? And what about Hague why hasn't he signed it, perhaps the original poster that brought Phormscum to Hagues attention should ask him.
Closed Thread