Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 17-12-2019, 12:24   #1981
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I'll try and explain slowly....

1. We have workers rights (protected by the EU).
  2. Post Brexit we can change these laws, workers no longer have that protection.
  3. Given the concerns from MPs prior to the election Bozza said he would continue with these protections, by adding them to UK law.
  4. He's now going back on that, less than a week after the election.
  5. He's a lying liar, which we all knew.
I’m struggling to see the problem here.

You appear to be hankering after the “protection” of a supra-national organisation that has the power to prevent a democratically elected government from pursuing policies the British electorate voted for.

This is one of the reasons many people voted to leave the EU. But even after having their arses handed to them last week, it seems many remainers still simply don’t get it.

Here’s the rub: from now on, if you want policies implemented in the UK, then you need to make and win a democratic case in the UK. You can no longer rely on the inertia of a pretend superstate, and the votes of foreign politicians, to do it for you.
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2019, 12:44   #1982
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’m struggling to see the problem here.

You appear to be hankering after the “protection” of a supra-national organisation that has the power to prevent a democratically elected government from pursuing policies the British electorate voted for.

This is one of the reasons many people voted to leave the EU. But even after having their arses handed to them last week, it seems many remainers still simply don’t get it.

Here’s the rub: from now on, if you want policies implemented in the UK, then you need to make and win a democratic case in the UK. You can no longer rely on the inertia of a pretend superstate, and the votes of foreign politicians, to do it for you.
I'm hankering after a PM that doesn't lie and that keeps his pre-election promises. However seems I won't get that in this country !
Old 17-12-2019, 13:02   #1983
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm hankering after a PM that doesn't lie and that keeps his pre-election promises. However seems I won't get that in this country !
Fortunately we have an open door policy in this country,if your not happy you can leave.
Old 17-12-2019, 16:44   #1984
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I’ll take that abrupt pivot as you not having any meaningful response to my point.
Old 17-12-2019, 18:19   #1985
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I’ll take that abrupt pivot as you not having any meaningful response to my point.
No the lie was the main point I was making in the first place. You're the one that's trying to change the subject !

How is your nice new SNP MP btw?
Old 17-12-2019, 18:33   #1986
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
No the lie was the main point I was making in the first place. You're the one that's trying to change the subject !

How is your nice new SNP MP btw?
I think he’s the numpty who started wailing at Strasbourg, which is a bummer. But he’s SNP, and the majority of us have just learned to tune out their endless whining by now, so we’ll cope.
Old 17-12-2019, 22:42   #1987
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The EU case against the UK for not appointing a Commissioner has gone quiet? Anyone heard anything? Google not much help.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 17-12-2019, 23:10   #1988
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Fortunately we have an open door policy in this country,if your not happy you can leave.
Surely Mr K's aim to find an MP who doesn't lie and keeps his pre-election promises can be found within the UK?
Old 18-12-2019, 09:18   #1989
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Surely Mr K's aim to find an MP who doesn't lie and keeps his pre-election promises can be found within the UK?
I wish him luck finding one

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Quote:
I think he’s the numpty who started wailing at Strasbourg, which is a bummer. But he’s SNP, and the majority of us have just learned to tune out their endless whining by now, so we’ll cope.
Just remind them that they aren't getting a referendum that should cheer you up
Old 18-12-2019, 12:03   #1990
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I wish him luck finding one

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Just remind them that they aren't getting a referendum that should cheer you up
Perhaps they'll hold a non-binding referendum, and then say it's the will of the majority/democracy...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 18-12-2019, 12:18   #1991
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Perhaps they'll hold a non-binding referendum, and then say it's the will of the majority/democracy...
Well that would certainly stir the pot.
Old 18-12-2019, 13:48   #1992
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
BORIS Johnson plans to give British judges the power to overturn EU court rulings in his landmark Brexit bill.

The PM has vowed to ensure Britain “take back control of our laws” with lower courts given the power to ditch European Courts of Justice rulings.
Mr Johnson’s move is set to divide the cabinet when MPs vote on the bill on Friday, The Times reported today.

And Boris' spokesperson confirmed the news earlier.

They said: "The bill will ensure that the Supreme Court is not the only institution able to consider the European Court of Justice rulings.

"This is an important change, which will ensure that we do not face a legal bottleneck and inadvertently stay bound by EU rulings for many years.
"We will take back control of our laws and disentangle ourselves from the EU's legal order, as was promised to the British people."
I've put the Times link in for those who subscribe.

Presumably this would also scupper moves in Brussels regarding the non-appointment of an EU comissioner for the UK.
Old 18-12-2019, 14:30   #1993
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’d be quite happy for the SNP to do a Catalonia.

A referendum lacking legitimacy or legal authority is the easiest to fight - you just refuse to take part. Let it be seen for the farce that it is.

Then afterwards, while I don’t imagine the British legal system would go after SNP ministers for treason as the Spanish did in Catalonia, I do wonder whether there might be a case to answer regarding misuse of public funds.
Old 18-12-2019, 15:23   #1994
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I've put the Times link in for those who subscribe.

Presumably this would also scupper moves in Brussels regarding the non-appointment of an EU comissioner for the UK.
I assume this for after the transition period as the CJEU is the ultimate arbiter of matters pertaining to EU law according to the Withdrawal Agreement. If that is the case, we won't be needing a Commissioner anyway
Old 18-12-2019, 17:18   #1995
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Well this is in the WA so I assume it becomes active once given royal ascent.
Closed Thread