Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 24-12-2021, 00:49   #1021
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all
Re: Coronavirus

Far more detailed statistics are needed in the public realm such as difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated as I've heard many talk as though all new infections are unvaccinated people which is not the case at all. Even the death figures are just clumped together for the public with "covid related death" being very common not distinguishing between covid direct deaths and deaths of those from the vaccine.

None of this changes the fact that the mortality rate of covid is very small and doesn't warrant the response it's so far had.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2021, 00:53   #1022
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
And, yet it is. Funny that.

I’ll play a game with you Hugh, from the following what would rather have?

1. Lung cancer, Bowel cancer, (other cancers)
2. Motor Neurone Disease
3. Parkinson’s Disease
4. Dementia
5. COVID
6. Death from old age having escaped the previous 5.

I’d take 6, and 5 would be a very close second. Before you trot out the « you can’t catch cancer » trope. At least 30% of people in the country will get cancer and the survival rate isn’t 98.5%. Dementia is fast becoming even worse.

So focus on the things, and fixing the things, that will really kill you. Also possibly don’t ride motorbikes either. I got rid of mine 8yrs ago and my life chances improved greatly.
Good point, Pierre. And this just demonstrates why so many people are questioning why we are all being pressured into panic mode.

‘Living to live with Covid’ does not mean more lockdowns. It means learning to live with the reality of life.

Snowflakes need to recognise that they have to melt eventually.
Old 24-12-2021, 09:48   #1023
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

2. Motor Neurone Disease
3. Parkinson’s Disease
4. Dementia
5. COVID

I’d take 6, and 5 would be a very close second. Before you trot out the « you can’t catch cancer » trope. At least 30% of people in the country will get cancer and the survival rate isn’t 98.5%. Dementia is fast becoming even worse.

So focus on the things, and fixing the things, that will really kill you. Also possibly don’t ride motorbikes either. I got rid of mine 8yrs ago and my life chances improved greatly.
Just repeating the statement that the biggest cause of death in the U.K. this year is "mild" doesn’t make it true…

In response to your "game", we don’t get much of a choice about 1, 2, 3, 4, & 6 - we can have a choice about 5, and our actions on that choice impact others.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Good point, Pierre. And this just demonstrates why so many people are questioning why we are all being pressured into panic mode.

‘Living to live with Covid’ does not mean more lockdowns. It means learning to live with the reality of life.

People can disagree on approaches to COVID and it’s impact without making derogatory comments - you should try it…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 24-12-2021 at 09:52.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 09:53   #1024
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Good point, OB.

Hope that helps.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 10:42   #1025
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Good point, OB.

Hope that helps.
Let's hope no one googles pages of snowflake statistics

Millions set for early FOURTH jab after it emerges booster effect starts wearing off after just 10 weeks:
by heck this jab business is getting a bit silly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ions-rise.html
Old 24-12-2021, 10:46   #1026
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Covid booster jabs and vaccinations will be not be available in Wales on Christmas Day or 26 December, the Welsh government has confirmed.

When I think of all the other people that work through xmas, I wonder why they opted for this?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 10:48   #1027
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Wales stats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vac.jpg (197.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg bed.jpg (274.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg var.jpg (157.4 KB, 11 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 10:53   #1028
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Let's hope no one googles pages of snowflake statistics

Millions set for early FOURTH jab after it emerges booster effect starts wearing off after just 10 weeks:
by heck this jab business is getting a bit silly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ions-rise.html
There are one or two experts on here that are at liberty to correct me.

But, OB has been right all along in that if you cocoon people in their homes or otherwise reduce their natural exposure to germs, then the immune system has had nothing to attack and so immunity wanes. Simples or what?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 10:54   #1029
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Covid booster jabs and vaccinations will be not be available in Wales on Christmas Day or 26 December, the Welsh government has confirmed.

When I think of all the other people that work through xmas, I wonder why they opted for this?
Probably because few patients would turn up on Christmas Day. Don't know why re 26th though.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 11:12   #1030
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post

Maybe it shows that the panic is not worth panicking about
Old 24-12-2021, 11:29   #1031
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Will Santa have to do an LFT this evening before he goes out delivering?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 11:35   #1032
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Will Santa have to do an LFT this evening before he goes out delivering?
I certainly hope so.
Old 24-12-2021, 12:44   #1033
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

2. Motor Neurone Disease
3. Parkinson’s Disease
4. Dementia
5. COVID

None of the others are infectious. They can't be prevented by people self-isolating etc. If cancer was as transmittable and infectious as Omicron, then people would be a lot more cautious in their behaviour. Where a substance is found to be carcinogenic, then it tends to be removed from regular contact with people. The emphasis is that wherever possible, the number of cases of those other things is reduced. Eg Passive smoking.

If large number of people who are admitted to hospital for reasons other than covid, are infected with it, that is still a bad sign. Not only is it a sign of large numbers of people being infected by coming into contact with large numbers of people who were infectious, they also pose a risk to others in the hospital..
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 13:23   #1034
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Pierre’s comments regarding hospitalisations don’t really hold any merit or purpose as we were just at the beginning of this wave/surge..

Last data for hospitalisations is 19th December according to the government website at which they were just over 1000 a day, however cases from 14 days prior to that we’re at approximately 50,000 a day.

Whilst the data we are getting is promising, we’re not out of the woods yet. The next 3-4 weeks are critical as to which way we progress.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
Old 24-12-2021, 13:54   #1035
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Does anyone have the figures for 'Flu' this year?

No, I can't be bothered to go looking myself
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote